Former TV network employee charged with smuggling Iraqi loo

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 01:24 pm
Wednesday, April 23, 2003 Posted: 2:56 PM EDT (1856 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN)

U.S. authorities filed the first criminal charges related to the looting of Iraqi antiquities after the fall of Saddam Hussein's government.

Federal prosecutors said Benjamin James Johnson, 27 -- who was in Iraq as an engineer for Fox News Channel -- was charged in a criminal complaint with smuggling 12 Iraqi paintings and 40 Iraqi bonds into the United States. Customs agents impounded the articles at Dulles International Airport near Washington.

The complaint says Johnson had accompanied the U.S. Army troops to the "New Presidential Palace," which Johnson told authorities was the former residence of Uday Hussein, one of Saddam's sons.

The document says Johnson first said Iraqis on the streets gave him the items but that he later admitted to federal agents that he had removed the paintings from a palace.

Fox News Channel issued a statement saying Johnson had been fired.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,449 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 01:32 pm
Gee, given Fox News Channel's approach to the conflict, I'm surprised they didn't give him his own show...
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 01:37 pm
Oh, it was part of the loot.

I was worried about the mental health of someone capable of smuggling an Iraqi loo to the US. I'm sure they have them in the States.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 01:51 pm
Fbaezer - yes a much more interesting topic without the T Razz
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 02:13 pm
The title is from CNN. For some reason the "T" did not transfer to the post window with the rest of the story.

D'artagnan, it seems to me he would be a natural to cover this angle of the war for Fox. He has personal experience in the basics of the "trade".
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 02:33 pm
I do not think that this is fair to attribute this man to the Fox News channel; of course, he was its employee, but he was a technical worker and had no relation to content of broadcasts.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 02:40 pm
Lighten up, steissd, we were kidding about Fox. It is a fine network, one with a mission of reporting the news accurately and fairly... :wink:
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 07:48 am
Media, Troops Investigated in Iraq Theft
By CURT ANDERSON

WASHINGTON (AP) - Members of the news media and U.S. soldiers are being investigated for taking art, artifacts, weapons and cash from Iraq, with criminal charges already brought in one case, federal officials said Wednesday.

At least 15 paintings, gold-plated firearms, ornamental knives, Iraqi government bonds and other items have been seized at airports in Washington, Boston and London in the last week, according to the bureaus of Customs and Border Protection and of Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

None of the items displayed at a news conference were priceless antiquities looted from Iraqi museums. Still, Customs and military officials stressed there will be no tolerance for American service personnel or civilians bringing Iraqi souvenirs or war trophies back to the United States.

``This is theft,'' said Jayson Ahern, a senior field operations official at the Customs and Border Protection bureau. ``We are there to liberate. This must cease.''

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/news/story.jsp?floc=FF-APO-1107&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20030424%2F031862079.htm&sc=1107
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 10:54 am
Acquiunk wrote:
Still, Customs and military officials stressed there will be no tolerance for American service personnel or civilians bringing Iraqi souvenirs or war trophies back to the United States.

Such an approach of the U.S. authorities toward looting perofrmed by particular U.S. citizens makes void any accusations toward the U.S. Army and administration relating to the massive looting in Iraq.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 11:26 am
I saw a report of this on TV. It was only antiques, painting and boring stuff like that.

It was much more interesting before I knew what was involved! Loo indeed! Twisted Evil
Fox - blleeeeaaaaahhh!
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 01:38 pm
Stiessd, That's AP not me that wrote that

This is just the leading edge, the people caught were amateurs. The professionals will wait for the heat to die down. But it demonstrates where the loot is going and how wide spread the looting was. If legal action is limited to these small fry then you can assume there was complicity among more powerful people. If not in the actual looting then in enjoying its benifits.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 04:51 pm
steissd wrote:
Acquiunk wrote:
Still, Customs and military officials stressed there will be no tolerance for American service personnel or civilians bringing Iraqi souvenirs or war trophies back to the United States.

Such an approach of the U.S. authorities toward looting perofrmed by particular U.S. citizens makes void any accusations toward the U.S. Army and administration relating to the massive looting in Iraq.

goddamn Steissed! You bend over into a pretzel shape and kneejerk a fanatical defense of every and anything as long as it has 'USA' remotely attached to it! I've watched you defend everything from soldiers torturing and killing civilians to George Bush's idiotic policies to this former Faux news employee! Is there anything anyone wrapped in a US flag could do to offend your doglike sense of loyalty?
0 Replies