Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 06:26 pm
Love is the Plan The Plan is Death
0 Replies

kevnmoon

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 06:43 pm
Re: There is no "meaning of life"
CrazyDiamond wrote:
There is no meaning of life

I send you some aims of life... all sentence can be explained ...

''Life is:

• the most important aim of the universe;

• and its greatest result;

• and its most brilliant light;

• and its subtlest leaven;

• and its distilled essence;

• and its most perfect fruit;

• and its most elevated perfection;

• and its finest beauty;

• and its most beautiful adornment;

• and the secret of its undividedness;

• and the bond of its unity;

• and the source of its perfections;

• and in regard to art and nature, a most wondrous being endowed with spirit;

• and a miraculous reality which makes the tiniest creature like a universe;

• and in addition to its being the means of the universe being situated in a tiny animate creature, and its showing a sort of index of the huge universe in the creature, it is a most extraordinary miracle of Divine power which connects the animate creature to most beings and makes it a tiny universe;

• and it is a wondrous Divine art which enlarges a tiny part to being the greatest whole and makes a particular like a universal or world, and shows that in regard to dominicality the universe is an indivisible whole or universal that cannot be broken into parts and which accepts no participation;

• and it is the most brilliant, the most decisive, the most perfect of proofs testifying to the necessary existence of the Ever-Living and Self-Subsistent One; and among Divine artefacts is the lightest and most apparent, and the most valuable and the most abundant, and the purest, most shining, and most meaningful embroidery of dominical art..... BSN''
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 06:45 pm
Hah! My post is longer.
0 Replies

kevnmoon

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 06:46 pm
ok....ok... hah..you got me laughed Chumly....
0 Replies

kevnmoon

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 07:21 pm
Re: There is no "meaning of life"
kevnmoon wrote:
CrazyDiamond wrote:
There is no meaning of life

''Life is:

• the most important aim of the universe;

So that since life is the greatest result of the universe, and its greatest aim and most valuable fruit, life too must have a great aim and result as vast as the universe.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 12:12 am
This thinking that we live "our" eternity, progresses to become, "I don't give a cheese what happens after I die". This is contributing to pollution and global warming.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 12:19 am
You wouldn't think so given most people have kids, but your point is well taken. I'm hoping with bio-engineered life extension, people may take a more responsible long term attitude as they will live to see these long term negative results.

Time will tell.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 11:26 am
I've often heard this said, that if the universe is just a bunch of atoms then its a dead hopeless dispiriting place, and that we have to have hope, belief in SOMETHING or life is pointless. This is a totally flawed analysis in my view. The universe is not just a bunch of atoms. Its full of the most spectacular and truly awesome wonders. Think of planet earth and everything on it. How many other worlds are there? If the whole surface of the earth was a beach, in relation to the rest of the universe, the earth would be just one grain of sand. Its when I try and contemplate the ineffable majesty of the Universe that I get some sense of the divine. Not that I think of some grand creator god or worse some prophet who relays messages in a drug induced trance. I think the very idea of a god who bashed out the universe, set the clockwork mechanism going and apparantly walked away, never to be heard from again actually diminishes the grandeur of creation as we can observe it. What is the meaning of life? What do you mean by the term "meaning". The Universe is. Life is. And the purpose of life is life itself.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 12:11 pm
Quote: Steve (as 41oo):
I've often heard this said, that if the universe is just a bunch of atoms then its a dead hopeless dispiriting place, and that we have to have hope, belief in SOMETHING or life is pointless. This is a totally flawed analysis in my view. The universe is not just a bunch of atoms. Its full of the most spectacular and truly awesome wonders.

I agree.

And one of the greatest and most comforting wonders is that life and thought and awareness, such as we have, are apparently completely natural aspects of this Universe. Nowhere to be seen is the clumsy hand of any God or Creator. Instead we find the simple elegance of a world which builds itself from itself, exchanging energy for complexity, and uncertainty for probability as it evolves.

We cannot separate ourselves from the Universe. We are part of it. And we need look no further than ourselves to know for certain that the Universe is alive. And growing.

Any individual life may have meaning. But life itself is merely an aspect of reality which pervades the Universe. Asking "what is the meaning of life", is like asking, "what is the meaning of water".
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 12:15 pm
"Any individual life may have meaning. But life itself is merely an aspect of reality which pervades the Universe. Asking "what is the meaning of life", is like asking, "what is the meaning of water"."

well said Ros and nice post. I think we've nearly summed it up pretty well. The nay-sayers can go home now.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 12:36 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
I think we've nearly summed it up pretty well. The nay-sayers can go home now.

I hope we didn't suck the "life" out of the question Smile

Maybe questions like that are better off not answered.
0 Replies