There is no "meaning of life"

JLNobody

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:28 am
I correct myself. The Cosmos IS conscious. You and I are conscious and we are expressions of the Cosmos. Of course, there are other forms of consciousness (if not self-consciousness) as part of the Cosmos, such that its "consciousness" must be extremely complex.
0 Replies

moogly bear

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:57 am
ofcourse it has a meaning - it is love.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 03:08 pm
M_B, if you mean "human love", as we feel for our friends and family, that is a very grand projection. Nevertheless, I like the thought, the way I very much appreciate a work of art, which not a statement about truth but an expression of beauty.
By the way, Nietzsche made a similar generalization. To him the Cosmos is about power (or, as I read it, pure energy).
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 06:53 pm
Quote:
JLNobody wrote:
The Cosmos IS conscious. You and I are conscious and we are expressions of the Cosmos. Of course, there are other forms of consciousness (if not self-consciousness) as part of the Cosmos, such that its "consciousness" must be extremely complex.

Yes, for the most apart I agree, though I think at the end you're confusing the contents of consciousness with consciousness.

I would say Consciousness is so lacking in complexity it is one with it. We can certainly surmise that consciousness is simulateously having zillions of observations, but that speaks to its sheer emptiness.

I would also say with or without a cosmos consciousness is....And this from someone (consciousness) that (apparently) has had to learn to tie its shoe laces billions of times.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:09 pm
You're right, Twyvel. I was thinking of consciousness as experience (which is its content). But I can't imagine consciousness without it being consciousness of.... I don't mean that consciousness (mind) is the subject of objects (content), but I do feel that it IS those objects. You know that I'm going to say it: "tat tvam asi" (that art thou). My nature is the content of consciousness (including the so-called unconscious). Everything I experience shows me what truly am, hence the zen dictum: "all things enlighten me." And yes, you tie your shoes a billion times every day.
0 Replies

Drowned By Darkness

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 09:54 pm
Life dosn't have a meaning, but I believe that it has a purpose. In life, I believe that you make your choices, and the purpose of life is that you must make the choices for yourself, and not by other people.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 02:17 am
Wow, I have the exact opposite of your view.

I believe that life has meaning, but it has no innate "purpose." I also believe that you have no choice (in the sense that it is required and an innate part of humanity) but to choose. A bit existentialist on that point maybe, but not on the meaning part. :wink:
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 11:23 am
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 03:07 am
JLNobody wrote:
Back to the thread's question about the meaning of life. The issue is, as I see it, not whether or not there is meaning or are meanings in our lives--we experience them all the time. The issue is their source: do they come from God, or some other supernatural source or are they OUR creations. I vote for the latter. No meanings (even geometric axioms) are a priori. At the most they are generated by the structure of our neurology and our cultural conditioning. But they do not exist independent of human action and makeup.
Sorry to be such a fuddy duddie.

That's the big question, eh. And I've been thinking more and more about this. Which probably says more about MY state than anything else! Things that are unpleasant to me tend to get me thinking about this, and I suspect I am not alone in that.

Who are we?!
.......I think that answers 'the meaning of life'.

If we think of ourselves as seperate somehow from god(s) and the supernatural, then the question becomes either/or.

But need it be? By saying "that is god" "this is me" or "Meaning comes from God" "Meaning comes from me", we are just making more distinctions of our experience as human beings.

I've always felt torn. "spiritual' 'godly' 'mystical' experiences seem real to me....but I can't bring myself to say "Oh yes, a god or goddesses exists" because ....well, that's just me putting those experiences into a form. I don't actually see a god or spirits, but i experience things I can not understand or put my head around.
But I can't deny how much richer life is when I do not identify myself strictly as a physical body with neurons and all these other things...but also as a big mystery even to myself....maybe that mystery is god..

Laughing

I'm not really making an arguement or anything, just processing.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 06:44 pm
I like your processing.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 06:45 pm
I'm having trouble staying connected. My measures will be brief for the next nline days.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 03:23 am
I dont know if there is 'a' meaning to life.
But if there is, then we dont know it for sure, so everyone kind of makes up their own meaning by living the way they want to.

for me, the meaning of life is the same as Aristotles, Eudamonia.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 09:55 am
I mean my POSTS will be brief.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 09:59 am
Yes, PQ, there is no reason to assume that there is a single meaning to life. There are MEANINGS IN life: those we create.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 03:07 am
ooh, yes exactly.
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 12:16 pm
Those are my thoughts, too--meaning is created and valued according to one's personal feelings of 'success' and 'disappointment.'

I think the only 'universal' meaning that can be applied is 'to thine own self be true.'

That way, the disappoinments become challenges and modifications toward eventual success, and successes become growth and help form further goals. It also keeps confidence at an optimum level and happiness would be inherent.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 12:49 pm
I dont know what the meaning of life is

but the purpose of life is life itself

....a battle against entropy.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 03:32 am
im thick. what is entropy?
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 04:20 am
Entropy:

1. For a closed thermodynamic system, a quantitative measure of the amount of thermal energy not available to do work.
2. A measure of the disorder or randomness in a closed system.
3. A measure of the loss of information in a transmitted message.
4. The tendency for all matter and energy in the universe to evolve toward a state of inert uniformity.
5. Inevitable and steady deterioration of a system or society.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 05:50 am
Oh no! another queen, telling me what to do! this is my kindom!!!!
dont think that the likes of your personalised avatar is going to make me renounce my crown lovey. I was here first.
mwuhahahahahah!!!!!
Oh, and nobody does queens quite like the english. and thats me so ha.

oh yes steve, that makes sense. xxx
0 Replies