There is no "meaning of life"

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 10:18 pm
There is no meaning of life, in my opinion. I think the point is that one is alive, so one must live. There is no meaning, but there is direction. You are alive, so you might as well live, regardless of what you do or how you came into being.

This quote from Shakespeare's Macbeth pretty much sums up my feelings:
Life's but a walking shadow; a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

So,now that you know what I think, do you think there is a 'meaning of life'? (no matter if you know what it is) Do think 'the meaning' exists?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,431 • Replies: 110
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 12:55 am
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/6901/answertolife1ai.jpg
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 02:49 am
Re: There is no "meaning of life"
CrazyDiamond wrote:
There is no meaning of life, in my opinion. I think the point is that one is alive, so one must live. There is no meaning, but there is direction. You are alive, so you might as well live, regardless of what you do or how you came into being.

I agree. By itself, (most of the time) one lives..because well...you are alive.
(I heard someone say this somewhere) The reason we marry is in the hope that our life (the fact that we are alive) becomes truly meaningful to at least one person.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 07:37 am
Life has whatever meaning that one makes of it. For some, it is a wasteland, for others an all enveloping joy. You get out of it, what you put into it!
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 08:42 am
Nice Timber. Wink
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 09:04 am
Re: There is no "meaning of life"
CrazyDiamond wrote:

You're correct. There is no meaning. Move along, nothing to see here, please move along.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 10:12 am
God tests us to see if we can live a meaningful life without being told expressly that the meaning of life is to live life meaningfully. Anyone who passes the test, wins! Trust me!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 10:16 am
CrazyDiamond wrote:
Nice Timber. Wink

Couldn't resist - just hadda do it Laughing

So long, and thanks for all the fish :wink:
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 04:08 pm
Everyone, I've finally decided to leave the internet for good. It didn't suit me much for the time I'm been on it. I doubt I'll be back on it again. So, this is my goodbye to all here. It was nice to know some people and not so nice to know others. In all I can say this much, it was some experience and I learnt a lot. I think I gave it way more though, because of which I feel the internet was unfair to me so! Wish you all again a very happy new year 2006 ~ Beena Jain
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:28 pm
Hey Beena - hope its not true!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:32 pm
Don't be a has beena. Come back and play.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 08:53 pm
Laughing He's still got it.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 10:05 am
I have a love hate relationship with the web, so I'm back. Since I can't leave it even though it frustrates me so, I've decided not to leave it but to not frequent it that often. So I won't be posting here very often. Hey! Nice to know someone cares by the way.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 07:57 pm
There is a "meaning" in life. But there is no innate purpose.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 12:51 am
Meaning is entirely subjective, there is no meaning but what you make for yourself.
Does life have meaning? You tell me.
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 01:06 pm
Oh, yes there is...

There is meaning of life.

Meaning is synonymous with purpose. Without a solid purpose, one has no motivation to live, be it by quality or quantity of years. Ultimate survival is achieved by fitness.. physically, mentally, and spiritually.

On a larger scale, the purpose of life is to perpetuate itself. This is the most basic drive of all life, because it requires survival.

Without survival, without life perpetuating itself, without purpose or meaning, there is no life - literally or figuratively.

As for we human beings, specifically, Jesus pointed out quite well the meaning of life. In a nutshell, it is "to have life, and have it more abundantly."

I think that if we have this as our greatest goal, to have life and have it more abundantly, everything else will fall into place. This is because one cannot even begin to have an abundant life with love.

Love is the highest purpose of all human life, which affects all else.

Singer Tom Jones, expressed it most passionately in the song (by Danny Small), "Without Love" which says it all...

"Without love, I have nothing... nothing, at all."
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:25 pm
The root purpose of life is to perpetuate the species - pass the genes along. Beyond that, all else is trimming at best, specious reasoning at worst. We are because we breed, and we breed because we are hard-wire programmed to do so.
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:08 pm
timberlandko wrote:
The root purpose of life is to perpetuate the species - pass the genes along. Beyond that, all else is trimming at best, specious reasoning at worst. We are because we breed, and we breed because we are hard-wire programmed to do so.

Yes. Still, as there is a root (deepest) purpose, so also is there a highest purpose in the tree of life, just as there is a heads and tails on a coin. This highest purpose isn't consciously known to other forms of forms of life. But to the human being, this inner knowing is most often familiar, and can be tapped and accentuated, via quiet meditation.

That highest purpose is the purpose for human survival, and therefore all of life, in the first place. That highest purpose is culminated in my previous post.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 04:04 pm
Poppycock, and ignorant, arrogant, elitist, self-delusional nonsense - life is life, human or otherwise. Some folks gotta tell themselves humans are special; thats where the specious reasoning comes in. Accepting that people are animals - nothing more, nothing less - does not change the human condition, it merely recognizes it. Imaginary freinds and higher purposes are of the same cloth, and the source of most of humankind's self-inflicted suffering and misery.

You want a higher purpose? OK - here it is; something's gotta be at the top of the food chain, and we're it.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 04:53 pm
PoetSeductress wrote:
Oh, yes there is...

There is meaning of life.

Meaning is synonymous with purpose. Without a solid purpose, one has no motivation to live, be it by quality or quantity of years.

I wrote:
There is no meaning, but there is direction.

PoetSeductress,
If you would read my first post, you will find that I agree that life has purpose (direction). However, I don't know what this is that you're spewing about root purpose.
PoetSeductress wrote:
Love is the highest purpose of all human life, which affects all else.
Timberlandko wrote:
You want a higher purpose? OK - here it is; something's gotta be at the top of the food chain, and we're it

I agree with Timber's post on this one.
0 Replies