Well there they go again, the ACLU defending peoples' rights

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 08:51 am
ALBUQUERQUE (AP) - The state's largest school district will have to notify parents of their right to keep schools from giving their children's contact information to military recruiters.

Under a settlement with the American Civil Liberties Union of New Mexico, the Albuquerque Public Schools district agreed to put a form in student registration packets that will let parents request that a student's name, address and telephone number be withheld. Once the request is made, the information cannot be given out without written consent from the student or the parents.

The settlement, negotiated months ago, was signed Wednesday.

The ACLU sued the school district in May, alleging its practices violated the privacy and due process rights of students.

In many instances, parents were not being notified of the right to keep their students' information private until months after the information had been given out to military recruiters, said Peter Simonson, executive director of the ACLU.

A provision of the No Child Left Behind Act requires schools to notify parents of their right to keep their children's information from recruiters.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 645 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 08:55 am
The schools could legally give this information to recruiters before this? I don't have kids so I guess I never thought about it. How were they legally to just give this information to anyone, much less recruiters? Was it because it was public school?

Wow.....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:04 am
My two high school cubs are getting inundated with
military propoganda and someone has called the house... I told them to never call again.

My boy cub went through a phase where he wanted to join ROTC his frehsman year (he is a freshman now) and I was agahst but let him think it over. He sensibly decided against it.

My daughter in the military is about as likely as me becoming head of the RNC.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:17 am
I don't like the fact that they can do that. I think that is just wrong. Now, if the students are in college then I can see maybe some kind of guidance counselor having recruitment information available or something.

But to do this to children that aren't even of legal age yet is just not right. BVT, did anyone ever ask you if it was ok to do that? I would imagine you weren't too happy, and rightly so, that they did this to your children?

Seems like this is trampling all over some kind of rights, isn't it?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:19 am
hell no they never asked.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:33 am
WHAT?! Shocked Hold the horses here. Shocked That is flat out not right. Did you know that the school could do this, BVT? Or did you assume, like I obviously did, that your children's information was confidential? I'm afraid I'd be highly upset myself about this.

We tell our kids to go to school and learn and they are trying to cope with life on its terms and they are throwing this at them? Especially in time of war? That is so not right. Shocked
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:54 am
Yeah, they have to notify you but they don't have to make it obvious. Our school includes a hidden comment in the booklet describing the class selections that parents must notify the school prior to November of the Jr. year (as I recall) if they don't want recruitment information distributed. Anyone who doesn't read the class selection booklet cover to cover would miss the 'notification' and be inundated with recruitment offers. Any complaints after the fact would result in being shown where you were 'notified' and a shrug.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:54 am
I blame the freakin' ACLU for bring this issue to light, bastards!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 10:48 am
Dys
dyslexia wrote:
I blame the freakin' ACLU for bring this issue to light, bastards!

I agree. The Turd Blossoms have gone too far this time!

BBB Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 06:18 pm
Traitors!

Should have their goddamn doodles yankeed.
0 Replies