Indians and Colored People

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:51 pm
This is the story of ASL, too -- children at Deaf institutes (residential schools) were told not to speak it, had their hands tied behind their backs (literally) to prevent them, etc., but the language persisted and survived and was eventually recognized.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 10:23 pm
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
America. Love it or leave it?

BBB

I defy you to find one single post in which I said either that or something equivalent. Is it ethical to put words in my mouth which I have never spoken? I definitely believe in "love it or change it."
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:40 pm
dyslexia wrote:
the story (and the film "Code Talkers" I think last year) was a reality event about some Navaho men who were ion teh US Army WW II who used their native language as a code. Anyway those self-same men had been victims of "indian schools" and had been beaten for speaking their native language but learned to speak Navaho anyway. (In spite of the best efforts of the "Indian Schools)

I watched "Code Talkers" last night, very interesting. They didn't talk about the indian schools, but the film was obviously produced by the missionaries so it didn't surprise me. They did mention how the Navaho were whisked away and had very little contact with their families. Their mission was so critical that they were each assigned body guards while in the field. The body guards had secret orders to kill any Code Talker before allowing one to be captured.
0 Replies

perilette

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 06:56 pm
This reminds me of a very good book (that was made into a movie) called "The Rabbit Proof Fence" it's set in australia though.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 07:05 pm
I really liked that movie.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 07:07 pm
me too.

hey perilettes avatar is like some crazy dancing alien cat.

It gets the chai stamp of approval.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:58 pm
Did the kids have to pay tuition or was everything free?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 07:42 am
Miller wrote:
Did the kids have to pay tuition or was everything free?

That's indicative of a very shallow attitude. Do you think to contend that there should be no complaint if they were not obliged to pay to have their children abducted and raised in an alien culture?
0 Replies