Indians and Colored People

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 08:39 am
A phenonoma of the southwest is the "indian school." the original idea was to provide native heathens a proper christian education and schools were created on reservations but, alas, the nasty little heathen children would go home every evening to be immersed in their own native culture and language. Something had to be done to stop this nonsense. Thus, the "indian and clolored people" schools were created all across the southwest. These "schools" were boarding schools away from the reservations they served to keep the heathens locked down 24/7, the children were beaten and otherwise punished for speaking their own language or appearing "indian". Philadelphia philanthropist Katherine Drexel founded many of these schools beginning in 1887 with the first being St. Catherine's Industrial Indian School and operated by her convent "Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament for Indians and Colored People" in Santa Fe New Mexico. The sisters closed the school in 1998 because of financial difficulties.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,456 • Replies: 47
No top replies

eoe

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 08:42 am
So there really is an end to some miseries? Good to know.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 08:44 am
The Chemawa Indian School in Oregon opened in 1870 and is still in operation today.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:11 am
I knew about such schools, but assumed they had died a natural death by now.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:12 am
big problem with this in canada too, natives yanked off the reservations and sent to residential schools usally run by the catholic church, much abuse occured, many lawsuitd now waiting
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:21 am
in what way are they yanked off? by force? because it would take force to yank one of my cubs away from home.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:24 am
Yes, an unspeakable disgrace with tragic consequences here, too.

The following link may be of interest Indian Residential Schools Resolution Canada

Quote:
The web site deals with subject matter that may cause some readers to trigger (suffer trauma caused by remembering or reliving past abuse). The Government of Canada recognizes the need for safety measures to minimize the risk associated with triggering.
A National Indian Residential School Crisis Line has been set up to provide general information on the Resolution Framework and ADR process. You can access emotional and crisis referral services. You can also get information on how to get other health supports from the Government of Canada.

Please call the Crisis Line at 1-866-925-4419 if you or someone you know is triggered while reading the content on this web site.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:26 am
Yes, by force. It really happened that way, and some of the kids really escaped, to die in winter weather, trying to make their way home.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:29 am
It's the old missionary position in action..
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:31 am
If there are still Indian Schools in operation today does that mean that in 2006, they are still taking children by force? Say it ain't so.....
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:31 am
You're a protest looking for a cause. All the people who did that stuff are dead.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:32 am
Wrong.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:33 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
You're a protest looking for a cause. All the people who did that stuff are dead.

and you are acting like a snot looking for something to stick to. Another day.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:33 am
Many of the people that suffered are not dead either.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:35 am
Let's all go and whine at the Mexicans about atrocities committed by the Aztecs.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:38 am
I believe that children are placed at the Oregon school by their families -- it is a boarding school.

I could be wrong but I think a lot of "problem kids" end up there.

There was a big scuff up not long ago where a student was locked in a cell (why does a school need cells?) for being drunk and she died of alchol poisoning.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:39 am
Brandon, are you seeing the dates on this stuff?

A bit more current than Aztecs.

If you'd like to factually rebut whether it actually happened, go ahead.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:42 am
sozobe wrote:
Brandon, are you seeing the dates on this stuff?

A bit more current than Aztecs.

If you'd like to factually rebut whether it actually happened, go ahead.

I doubt that many Amerind families have been coerced into putting their kids into these schools for a long time. Talk about someone searching for yet another reason to say how horrible America is. Almost all countries have such atrocities in their pasts. Of course, his obsession with reporting solely the bad things about America is a form of patriotism.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:43 am
I believe it to be way in the past. Such practices are just not in line with with the Navajo attitudes I'm somewhat familiar with.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:45 am
I found this about the Chemawa School:

Quote:
Chemawa's focus has changed in the past century. It began as a coercive and authoritarian institution, became vocationally oriented in the early twentieth century, and later tried to incorporate native traditions into a general academic curriculum. Though initially unpopular with native students, Chemawa has survived various attempts by the Bureau of Indian Affairs to close it, thanks mainly to the support of Northwest tribes who have taken pride in the school's accomplishments and for whom it assumed an important role in the education of their children.

http://college.hmco.com/history/readerscomp/naind/html/na_006400_chemawaindia.htm
0 Replies