The vanishing apostrophe.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:54 am
Ooooh, nooooooo, I didn't mean to post a smiley, I meant to post a semicolon and a parenthesis. Guess I should have put a space between them.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 10:01 am
I may have to start a "Vanishing Smiley" thread before too long, the way things are going, osso! I've been using them very sparingly, too, (sometimes not at all, when I'd really like to!) since that barrage of criticism. Party poopers!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 10:20 am
I've never used them much, but have on some occasions. In this case I thought the semicolon and parenthesis would be sort of in line with the apostrophic subject matter(!!!)

Parenthetically, I wonder if people notice I make up a lot of words, or use some words in new ways..
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 12:29 pm
YES

And if you put a : followed by ) in quick reply, it converts to a smiley. Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 04:46 am
I wonder what possessed me to start this thread in the first place?

The Vanishing Apostrophe!

Honestly! Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 06:59 am
It does vanish in some possessives...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 12:27 am
Yes, it does, indeed!
0 Replies

AaTruly

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:28 pm
Would a person fervently in favor of the wrongful use of apostrophes (or lack thereof) be guilty of Apostrophe Apostacy?

Would an actor in a theatrical performance which exhorted the audience to abandon apostrophes turn aside from the other actors to speak to an individual and rightly be accused of using the apostrophe as a vehicle?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 04:12 am
Goodness. Are you asking me?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 04:58 am
AaTruly - if you are apostrophizing us, take care.

Some of us can also repply in an apostrophic manner, with or without the use of apostrophes.

Not that we lost faith in apostrophes' use but...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 05:01 am
sozobe wrote:
evrytng is used less cuz the pt is to make it short n easy to read.

Worldwide phenomenon, not just the US, at all.

Actually much more common outside the US. We don't text as much as many other countries and it'll prolly get to be even more common here.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 05:16 am
Tangeant but still about change of language:

What about the use of 'prolly' instead of probably?

I see people writing on paper like they do on forums. So, where did this 'prolly' thing come from? From chat or the UK/Oz?
Those guys/gals in the UK/Oz seem to shorten a lot of words and add cute endings.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 05:25 am
Not being a prolly user myself, so I don't quite know why that is, flushd. I suspect it's more of a cultural/language thing, rather than a result of text messaging or forum use.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 12:53 am
Re: The vanishing apostrophe.
msolga wrote:
Lately I've noticed that many A2Kers don't use apostrophes in their posts any more. I'm interested to know why. Is it now considered OK not to use apostrophes at all in some countries? And is apostrophe usage still taught & expected in students' writing in schools in your country? (Still is in Oz.)
Just curious.

Actually, I observe the apostrophe to be breeding like pups, but in the wrong places...I get very annoyed by its misuse...it's a shame.

OK....new apostrophe version of that:

Actually, I observe the apostrophe to be breeding like pup's, but in the wrong place's...I get very annoyed by it's misuse...it's a shame.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 01:06 am
I have heard, that a semicolon, may help you lose weight Smile
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 01:20 am
I have very poor grammar and spelling. I fake it the best I can. I use the apostrophe alot.

I've made no attempt to learn proper grammar. I think I just learned to fake it better. You use an apostrophe when you have a separate thought within a sentence don't you?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 01:26 am
I've seen that, too, Deb. In my local environment as much as A2K: "Your vegetables' here!" It seems like many folk use apostrophes wrongly, say nothing of not using them at all!.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:34 am
Welcome back, AaTruly. Mist ya'
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 04:25 pm
www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk Now I can learn how to use an apostrophe.

I mistook a comma for a apostrophe. Laughing Don't tell anybody I can't spell or write Cool it's a secret.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 06:45 pm
We wont tell...

No, I just can't do it on purpose. I have to make real mistakes.

So,

we won't tell, Amigo.
0 Replies