LYING FOR JESUS

Treya

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:34 pm
mesquite wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Setanta,

I can't argue with you there. Is it just the christians that are lying though?

I've seen many people take the bible out of context as well by taking just one part of it and promoting some wacked out theory based on one scripture... or a bunch of little pieces out of context to try to make a whole. Both christians and non-christians. I think there's a potential for that to happen with just about any theory out there. It's easy enough to do.

Since you need some action... do you have any references to some of the many non-christians doing what I have colored red in your quote?

I finally found something close to what I was looking for, though I realize after re-reading this that "wacked out theory" was a little harsh on my part. Forgive me for this please J_B.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67245&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=70

Does this satisfy your question Mesquite?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:38 pm
Setanta wrote:
What a lame goddamned web site . . . i am not allowed to see page five of this thread . . . and i started the goddamned thread. If CdK decided to run off to school, start chaing skirts and let this place go to hell, he ought to have had the decency to have left it to someone competent to manage the place . . .

No problems with page five here.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 07:33 pm
Cat got your tongue guys? It got awefully quiet in here....
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 07:37 pm
mesquite wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Setanta,

I've seen many people take the bible out of context as well by taking just one part of it and promoting some wacked out theory based on one scripture... or a bunch of little pieces out of context to try to make a whole. Both christians and non-christians. I think there's a potential for that to happen with just about any theory out there. It's easy enough to do.

Since you need some action... do you have any references to some of the many non-christians doing what I have colored red in your quote?
Where are CI and Frank when you need them?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 07:38 pm
For what Neo?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 07:40 pm
neologist wrote:
mesquite wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Setanta,

Where are CI and Frank when you need them?

When do you need Frank?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 12:08 am
hephzibah wrote:
mesquite wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Setanta,

I finally found something close to what I was looking for, though I realize after re-reading this that "wacked out theory" was a little harsh on my part. Forgive me for this please J_B.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67245&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=70

Nope. The link goes to the top of the page which is a post by setanta, yet you apologize to J_B. Either way I see nothing on that page that would remotely satisfy my question.

I think you could have probably pointed to almost any post by Ali87 and it would have qualified, but I doubt that is what you meant by non-christian.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 05:58 am
Quote:
Nope. The link goes to the top of the page which is a post by setanta, yet you apologize to J_B. Either way I see nothing on that page that would remotely satisfy my question.

I think you could have probably pointed to almost any post by Ali87 and it would have qualified, but I doubt that is what you meant by non-christian.

I chose not to use ali because I was looking for something I was actually invovled in. I apologized to JB because that's who I was talking to at the time in the post. So exactally what are you trying to accusing me of here? Why don't you just come out and say it?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:30 am
I chose ali because you had enough interaction with him to know what I meant.

I am not accusing you of anything other than maybe making brash and unsupported statements. :wink: I was making the assumption that you were using non-christian to mean non-religious.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:38 am
Which I apologized for...

Quote:
Guys I'm sorry.. I'm a hot head sometimes... I know... Wasn't trying to put anyone on the spot.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:47 am
This isn't my argument, I just am watching and waiting for it to go somewhere and as far as I can tell it isn't. Hephzibah, your link doesn't seem to contain anything supporting your assertion. When mesquite said so, you went off on some personal tangent. Does the link contain something supporting your assertion or not? If so, rather than posting a link to the whole page, can you copy and paste the section you have in mind?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:51 am
I fail to see the tangent I went on... would you mind pointing that out for me?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:56 am
hephzibah wrote:
So exactally what are you trying to accusing me of here? Why don't you just come out and say it?

There was nothing he hadn't already said -- first, where is your evidence, and second, that's evidence? Where?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:04 am
That hardly qualifies as a tangent. I was asking an honest question in response to his statement:

Quote:
but I doubt that is what you meant by non-christian.

A statement without any evidence to support it. I don't need to have evidence for anything. I realized after reading dlowans response that I was wrong and I apologized. If I would not have been so quick to jump on the "defend yourself bandwagon" last night I would have realized this and this issue wouldn't even be a point right now.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:06 am
You don't need to have evidence for statements you make?

OK.

So we've gone from "here's your evidence, really" to

"Forget it, I don't need to provide evidence"?

When you're having a debate on a discussion board, the ability to defend your statements is pretty much job one.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:09 am
Evidence is needed to support statements one is asserting. I was no longer asserting this statement because I had realized I was wrong.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:12 am
dlowan's statement?

All she's said since mesquite asked you to support the "non-christian" thing was that she had no problems viewing page five...

Question
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:17 am
dlowan wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
LOL here I am getting ignored again! Whoooooooooo! Just kiddin.

I just think if you say or even imply it you ought to back it up. That's all I'm trying to say here. Back it up. Please. Won't someone back up why they think the christians here are so arrogant? What is it that makes them so arrogant to you? I honestly want to know. I know why I think what I think. And I know what I think will ruffle some feathers. But dang it... I'm willing to say it at least... I'm not trying to start a christian bashing session here. I'm not out to hurt anyone intentionally. I'm just tired of everyone dancing around the issue...

Personally, I don't think "the christians" here, en masse, ARE "so arrogant".

I think SOME of them are...usually, imho, the most ignorant ones, or the most fundamentalist.

Both on A2k, and in real life, I know of many christians who are the very antithesis of arrogant, and for whom I have the deepest respect and admiration.

I have major disagreement with the beliefs and traditions of the three middle eastern religions - judaism, christianity, and islam......but I would no more see all of their followers as arrogant than I would see all Americans or all Australians etc as arrogant.

I see the arrogant ones as arrogant because they have the belief that they are in possession of the truth, the light and the way, and that anyone disagreeing is doing the work of, or is ensnared by, the devil.

Also, some christians here have been very happy to attack other religions...especially islam....for ITS doctrine, and "silly beliefs" about what their holy book says, while using as evidence for why the islamic holy book is wrong, "and silly superstition", their OWN holy book!!! And failing to see a problem in this reasoning.

Again, this is SOME christians.

Actually, I wouldn't mind betting that there are wonderful people here, who are christians, but we do not know it, because they have no desire to trumpet their religiosity, nor try to push their beliefs.

Actually, arrogance per so bothers me little, as long as people are happy to consider that they may be wrong, and discuss in a reasoned way. (Hell, Craven who started this site is arrogant beyond belief, but will always accept that he is wrong when he is demonstrated to be.....and I can be BLOODY arrogant when riled). In saying this, I acknowledge that belief in the reasoned examination of beliefs is, in itself, an ethical belief, and ought to be subject to challenge!

I think people are reacting so strongly to some christians here partly because there has been, or it feels like there has been, a kind of christian assault on the site, by people determined to "spread the word".

Some of them have tantrums and such when they are challenged.

Also, with christian evangelicals crusading against the secular world, against separation of church and state, against science, against birth control and sexual health measures and so on, many people are feeling under attack by christians, and get VERY peed off when some christians are pleading discrimination and persecution, when they seem very ready to persecute others.

It all gets a little emotional in the trenches of ideology!

This statement on page five, which was followed by this statement by me:

Quote:
Thank you dlowan. I appreciate the response. That actually has cleared up some stuff for me. I hope it didn't sound like I was implying all christians here are arrogant... that wasn't what I meant at all. Most of the ones I've met I like. Actually I can't think of one I don't like. I just don't always agree with what people do, and I'll admit being a "christian" is a bit of a touchy subject for me.

I've been hurt a lot by the arrogance of some. No, I've been hurt the most by arrogant christians, and I'm still trying to get over it. I try not to classify people by labels, this is one of my great area's of struggle right now. I don't want to hurt anyone, but I'm tired of all the hoopla... ack... Though honestly speaking I can say that I haven't seen a lot of friendliness towards those who claim to be christians. I understand a little better now where that is coming from. Which is all I really wanted.

Guys I'm sorry.. I'm a hot head sometimes... I know... Wasn't trying to put anyone on the spot.

At which point I dropped my argument and moved on to something else.

Then on page six mesquite jumped in with his agrument... to which I jumped on a "defend yourself bandwagon", which is why this is an issue right now.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:26 am
I'll recap.

This part of the discussion started with this post from mesquite:

mesquite wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Setanta,

Then you said you weren't sure if you could find a reference, but you'd try, and then came up with this:

hephzibah wrote:

mesquite replied:

mesquite wrote:

Rather than pointing mesquite to something that WOULD satisfy his question, you said:

hephzibah wrote:
I chose not to use ali because I was looking for something I was actually invovled in. I apologized to JB because that's who I was talking to at the time in the post. So exactally what are you trying to accusing me of here? Why don't you just come out and say it?

That's the tangent I referred to -- making it personal rather than just providing the evidence already.

mesquite replied:

mesquite wrote:
I chose ali because you had enough interaction with him to know what I meant.

I am not accusing you of anything other than maybe making brash and unsupported statements. ;-) I was making the assumption that you were using non-christian to mean non-religious.

Passing up another opportunity to provide evidence, you say:

hephzibah wrote:
Which I apologized for...

Quote:

That's a head-scratcher -- nothing about evidence, nothing related to what mesquite was saying.

Then I jumped in trying to pin things down.

What you said to dlowan is nice, a lot to agree with, but it is much more about whether you think Christians here are arrogant than whether you think that non-christians are taking parts of the bible to promote some whacked-out theory. Still doesn't say anything direct about "right, I take that back, I can't support my statement that non-christians here do that."

You see to be saying that NOW, which is great, but now seems to be the first time that's been directly addressed.

Anyway!

Moving on...
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:30 am
LOL ok sozobe... have a nice day.
0 Replies