LYING FOR JESUS

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 01:10 am
My mother would always say that to us when we were kids if we were getting amusement from someone in a fight or something like that. It just reminded me of that. Hadn't thought of that in a long time. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 07:37 pm
Hey Setanta, you'll enjoy these lies:

from Australia's "Family First" party official website:

Quote:
Below are the objectives of the Family First Party:
To support legislation which will result in the health, welfare and unity of families in Australia and to oppose legislation that will be hurtful to families;
To promote initiatives that will assist families achieve a good standard of living
To assist families build a safe and secure future by putting within their reach affordable health, education and housing
To provide additional resources and finance for the following:

Child Protection
Youth Counselling Programs
Homeless
Valuing of Older Australians
Drug Rehabilitation
Family Support and Counselling

from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Whether Family First is a Christian party is the subject of dispute. Australia's political climate is predominantly secular and there is general disapproval of overt public manifestations of faith. In 2004, then party leader Andrea Mason said that "we are not a Christian party"[1] - a sentiment echoed by others in the party at that time. Party founder Andrew Evans once said the party's vision was "to have a social conservative party. Jesus is our hero, he's our saviour, and we worship and love him, but in politics, it's no good me getting up and preaching about my faith, that's the church's role." [2]. In the same interview, he also said "we're a family party based on Christian principles, but we're not church-based."

Despite its positioning as a secular party, it draws much of its support and many of its candidates from various Christian groups, predominantly Pentecostal ones, particularly the Assemblies of God. A large number of Family First's candidates are pastors or members of Assemblies of God churches

They sure don't represent MY family.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:09 pm
Re: LYING FOR JESUS
Setanta wrote:
I started a similar thread in the "General" forum, but it was not taken seriously, and, of course, self-righteous christians hurried in to say that Jesus doesn't condone lying, or theft or murder--despite reams of historical evidence to the contrary.

One of the god squad said it was a good thing i had started it in that forum, the implication being that this forum is sacrosanct, and it better not be sullied by pointing out that christians often are liars--knowingly.

"Stealth" candidate is a term invented by evangelicals to describe members of their sects who run for public office with a religious agenda who willingly conceal their religious beliefs so as not to reveal their implicit agenda and risk losing the election. Self-professed christians have lied to Congress in furtherance of the policies of an executive administration. Groups such as the Discovery Institute and the folks responsible for the "Answers in Genesis" web site indulge in "quote-mining," a practice in which they knowingly quote scientists out of context, and often editing the passages they quote--to make it appear that people who consider a theory of evolution plausible in fact dispute that.

So i contend that christians routinely lie in support of their religious "truth." You know, boys and girls, lies make baby Jesus cry . . . shame on you all . . .

Wow, way to rise up to the challenge there Setanta. I find it interesting that there are not too many responses on this one. However I do understand how this thread could be viewed as inflammatory. Can you be a little bit more specific about how it is that christians are often liars? I am also wondering what burden of proof it is you have for this contention that christians routinely lie in support of their religious truth? I would like to discuss this if we may?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:14 pm
The conversation seems to have migrated to this other, similar one:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67985
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:21 pm
thanks sozobe. I've looked at that one and haven't posted because I have yet to figure out how it went from Setanta's original questions to an argument about gay rights... once again...
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:26 pm
Yeah same here hep.

Thanks Soz
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 09:36 pm
Eorl wrote:
Hey Setanta, you'll enjoy these lies:

from Australia's "Family First" party official website:

Quote:
Below are the objectives of the Family First Party:
To support legislation which will result in the health, welfare and unity of families in Australia and to oppose legislation that will be hurtful to families;
To promote initiatives that will assist families achieve a good standard of living
To assist families build a safe and secure future by putting within their reach affordable health, education and housing
To provide additional resources and finance for the following:

Child Protection
Youth Counselling Programs
Homeless
Valuing of Older Australians
Drug Rehabilitation
Family Support and Counselling

from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Whether Family First is a Christian party is the subject of dispute. Australia's political climate is predominantly secular and there is general disapproval of overt public manifestations of faith. In 2004, then party leader Andrea Mason said that "we are not a Christian party"[1] - a sentiment echoed by others in the party at that time. Party founder Andrew Evans once said the party's vision was "to have a social conservative party. Jesus is our hero, he's our saviour, and we worship and love him, but in politics, it's no good me getting up and preaching about my faith, that's the church's role." [2]. In the same interview, he also said "we're a family party based on Christian principles, but we're not church-based."

Despite its positioning as a secular party, it draws much of its support and many of its candidates from various Christian groups, predominantly Pentecostal ones, particularly the Assemblies of God. A large number of Family First's candidates are pastors or members of Assemblies of God churches

They sure don't represent MY family.

No.

They are being kind of interesting, though....though they are clearly good examples of "liars for jesus" (my concept of jesus would be one of a person who would loathe such a concept, but there you go).

For example, they are based in my home town, and they sre kind of cute in that they are making up their satnds as they go along.

Their leader, for instance, said on the radio that he supports full civil unions for gay people.....he doesn't want church ones. Which os probably a reasonable intermediate stand. The real battles with them over this will come later.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 09:44 pm
Yeah, that Senator is from down your way dlowan?

I've got no real problem what they stand for, it's the vast divide between what they say they stand for and what they actually stand for that bothers me. They no doubt expect to (and it seems succeed) in winning votes from "families" who are gullible enough to think that anyone who puts "them" first must be on their side.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 09:50 pm
Is this strictly political though? What I gathered from Setanta's original post is that there's this feeling the majority of christians are liars. Why is that? I'm sincerely curious here...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 09:54 pm
hephzibah wrote:
thanks sozobe. I've looked at that one and haven't posted because I have yet to figure out how it went from Setanta's original questions to an argument about gay rights... once again...

The discussion got dragged there because that's MOAN's hobby horse, and she gets nailed for it everytime she comes into a thread and goes all self-righteous on us.

As to your question about the burden of proof, these are things to which i referred:

The reference to stealth candidates actually goes back to California in the early 1990s, when christian candidates with education agendae ran for local school boards. In an article printed in The New York Times more than a decade ago, one evangelical political organizer freely acknowledged that it was a technique that he and others hoped to exploit, so as to "put the family first" (see Eorl's post about this "family" dodge in use in Australia). A more recent and pointed example of this is the school board in Dover, Pennsylvania. Several of the members of the the last school board (not the one which was just elected, but the one before that) were stealth candidates who did not make known publicly their evangelical fervor or their intent to shuffle creationism in the back door by promoting the "teaching of intelligent design." They lost in court, and Dover, Pa. has a whopping great legal bill to pay. The voters turned the bums out in the last election.

My reference to self-professed christians lying to Congress is a refence to Oliver North. He has run for public office in Virginia, and made a point of professing his christianity, and his support for "family values" (that shibboleth is very popular in the evangelical crowd). He was convicted for lying to Congress. Conservatives will rant and rave and say that the conviction was reversed on appeal--but that is a lie, the conviction was set aside by a judge appointed by Reagan, in an obvious quid pro quo--North was working for Reagan's Iran-Contra covert aid program.

The Discovery Institute is a group whose purpose is to promote creationism in school science curricula. However, the Supreme Court has prohibited this, so they work through the promotion of "intelligent design." One of their favorite techniques is known as "quote mining." They pore over books by earth and life scientists to find quotes which, when taken out of context, and especially when carefully edited, can be made to suggest that the scientists in question are critical of a theory of evolution, or dispute the conclusions of other life and earth scientists who refer to a theory of evolution. Answers in Genesis is a web site which provides talking points and "mined quotes" for evangelicals who are searching for ways to rebut the arguments of those who consider a theory of evolution a plausible, scientific explanation for the diversity of life forms on this planet.

I also have it in mind that one or more of the loud-mouthed type of christian at this site are willful liars, but have made no specific accusations because of the burden of proof. Several self-professed christians at this site parade the entire Discovery Institute/AIG dog and pony show of mined quotes and rigged data in the attempt to claim that a theory of evolution is scientifically unreliable.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 09:58 pm
hep, I'm not sure "most" was the point, rather that it is not uncommon and the hypocrisy is obvious.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 10:00 pm
Eorl, are you from Australia? (Sorry if you've said so and I just forgot...)
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 10:04 pm
yup
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 10:06 pm
Setanta,

I can't argue with you there. Is it just the christians that are lying though?

I've seen many people take the bible out of context as well by taking just one part of it and promoting some wacked out theory based on one scripture... or a bunch of little pieces out of context to try to make a whole. Both christians and non-christians. I think there's a potential for that to happen with just about any theory out there. It's easy enough to do.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 10:08 pm
Yes, well, Miss Eppie, i don't think the Muslims or the Jews are gonna come for me to burn me at the stake, and i'm certain that no atheists have that in mind for me. However, i'm not all that confident about the evangelicals.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 10:18 pm
Ahhh.. yes... so then the nature of the christian is to be at question then... correct? Is christianity the only religion out there to have done such heinous crimes? What about Hitler?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 10:24 pm
Well, for whatever the truth of his own belief may have been, Hitler used christian symbolism a great deal, and appealed for support on the basis of protecting christianity and christian values. Do an online search sometime of "Hitler+christianity+quotes," it'll be an eye-opener for you.

I don't actually think anyone is coming for me, but christianity is the issue because i live in a nation in which the majority of the population is christian and in which evangelicals are making a serious push to enshrine their agenda in law. The question of honesty becomes important on such a basis.

That is the macrocosm. In the microcosm, here at this site, i see christians either lying or unwittingly peddling lies on the subject of evolution, and, as i already pointed out, i suspect some of the self-professed christians here of lying about other things, but won't go into specifics precisely because of the issue of the burden of proof.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 10:36 pm
Setanta, I do agree with you on this. What I want is for others to understand where people are coming from. When everyone is so busy throwing slanderous remarks around about each other the whole point gets lost. Those who feel righteous feel even more righteous and those who are trying to make them see how self-righteous they are appearing fail to make their point.

There are people all over this world who are self-righteous about various things. It is an air of pride that one develops when they start thinking too highly of themselves. IMO anyway. No one has all the answers. No one. So my whole point in asking these questions is for you and anyone else who wants to jump in to voice honestly why they see it this way. Maybe it could do some good.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 11:03 pm
No response from anyone... Hmm...

Now, this is why I honestly wonder if the issue isn't so much the "christians" as it is christianity itself...

Am I right?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 11:05 pm
There's a difference?
0 Replies