Can you help me put this into context?

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:01 am
I came across an article in my paper today that, sadly, I can't find on the net so I'm going to type it in:

Quote:
The United States will not complete hundreds of basic water and electricity projects planned after the 2003 invasion because more that $3 billion was shifted to meet unanticipated security and other needs, according to a US government audit of reconstruction spending in Iraq issued Tuesday.

In polls and everyday conversations, Iraquis routinely describe the lack of basic services such as clean water and steady electricity as perhaps the biggest problem facing the war-ravaged country. They rank it alongside -- and often ahead of -- insecurity and persistent insurgent violence.

With slightly less than 20 percent of the government's $18.4 billion reconstruction budget unallocated, the Bush administration is not planning to seek more such funds in the budget request going before Congress next month. So "some of the original goals will not be fully achieved in some sectors." according to the audit produced by the office of the special inspector general for Iraq reconstruction.

As much as 60 percent of all projects aimed at improving Iraq's water supply will remain unfinished becasue more that $2.1 billion allocated to them was shifted away, according to the report.

Projects related to drinking water that were expected to benefit about 8 million people will now befefit about 2.75 million, the report said. And only two of 10 planned sewerage projects will be completed though they will serve an additional 4.5 million people.

More than 125 of a planned 425 electricity projects also will be left unfinished, reflecting a steep reduction, announced previously by US officials, in the goal for increasing Iraq's generating capacity.

I'm going to show off my ignorance here by simply saying that while I find this news disturbing I'm not exactly sure what it all means. It seems like it should be bigger news than it is and perhaps that's why the context seems so fuzzy to me.

Help a girl out, huh?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,284 • Replies: 41
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:08 am
Yep.

Krugman had a great column about that recently.

Here 'tis:

http://theeraosl.blogspot.com/2006/01/iraqs-power-vacuum.html
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:10 am
Thanks! I'll go read it now....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:16 am
Very interesting.

I noted that his essay was published on Monday and the report that is the basis of the article I posted above came out on Tuesday.

I wonder how the announcement that we don't plan to fix this stuff will go over in Iraq.

Not so good, I would think.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:17 am
He refers to a couple of Los Angeles Times articles that sound good, too (that came out before his column).

Yeah, not so good.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:17 am
LAst I heard on this subject, they were changing they way that projects were going to be completed. Instead of working on the major projects like rebuilding bridges, highways, etc., they were instead going to start concentrating on getting more noticeable projects done like water in villages and towns, parks, schools, things noticable by the locals.

I believe that the administration did not realize what piss-poor condition Iraq was in before the invasion. I blame them for that. At the same time, I believe that conditions in some areas of Iraq have improved greatly when compared to pre-war conditions, while others have not. Especially in areas with high insurgency activity. Naturally, they are most vocal and get the coverage.

It's a shame that Iraq doesn't have an "easy" button that can be pressed and have all the problems fixed over-night.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:26 am
An "easy" button would be nice!

Part of the problem might be that we were all convinced that it would be easier than it has turned out to be. Even those who were against the war going in probably never thought it would turn out to be so difficult.

I would imagine that providing electricity would be highly noticable and clean water.... well that is a serious health concern -- I would notice immediately if I didn't have clean water.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:32 am
McGentrix wrote:
LAst I heard on this subject, they were changing they way that projects were going to be completed. Instead of working on the major projects like rebuilding bridges, highways, etc., they were instead going to start concentrating on getting more noticeable projects done like water in villages and towns, parks, schools, things noticable by the locals.I believe that the administration did not realize what piss-poor condition Iraq was in before the invasion. I blame them for that. At the same time, I believe that conditions in some areas of Iraq have improved greatly when compared to pre-war conditions, while others have not. Especially in areas with high insurgency activity. Naturally, they are most vocal and get the coverage.

It's a shame that Iraq doesn't have an "easy" button that can be pressed and have all the problems fixed over-night.

in other words the all important photo op pr stuff that they can point to and say "look what we're doing" to pacify the sheep who take their bullshit like gospel on face value.

Thanks McG, couldn't have put it better myself.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:35 am
http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/

Too long to repost here, this blogger in Iraq looks at the devastation in Baghdad after the first gulf war, and talks about the 90% reconstruction they had in just two years after that.

Contrast this to our track record, with vastly larger resources involved...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:38 am
Iraq seeks electricity from neighbours

Iraq is seeking its neighbours' help to boost electricity supply to face serious shortages largely due to continuous sabotage, Iraqi Electricity Minister Mihsen Shalash has said.

"I have negotiated with all neighbouring countries, mainly Syria, Turkey and Iran and there are negotiations under way with Kuwait to complete the electricity linkup," Shalash told reporters on Sunday in Jordan, the last stop in a tour that included the United States, Germany and Iran.

He said it was unlikely that Iraq would join an electricity line linking Egypt with Jordan because of "technical problems, mainly the long distance and the economic factor, which is insufficient funds".

In the long term, Iraq needs $20 billion for projects to restore electricity throughout the war-wracked country, Shalash said.

The Electricity Ministry has devised an ambitious five-year plan to increase electrical supplies to 18,000 megawatts by 2010, he added without providing details.

In August alone, when electricity demand peaks, Iraq hopes to raise its supply from Syria, Turkey and Iran by 75% to reach 520 megawatts, Shalash told an impromptu news conference held at the Iraqi Embassy in Amman.

The minister blamed the frequent cuts on "continuous and consolidated sabotage which targets towers and electric lines".

"We seek to limit that," he said.

Before the US-led invasion, Baghdad's 6.5 million residents had almost continuous electricity.

Today, they get about 10, usually broken into two-hour chunks.

Iraq had one of the region's best infrastructures, health and education systems in the 1970s.

Expectations were high that things would improve after the invasion, but instead they deteriorated because of continuous violence and the inability of the US-led authorities to rebuild the country's aging infrastructure.

Planning Minister Barham Salih told donor countries last week that Iraq had established a national agenda which has targeted vital sectors, including electricity.

Salih told the international gathering held in Jordan that the government would work within the next six months to restore electricity to every Iraqi home and business.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:41 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
LAst I heard on this subject, they were changing they way that projects were going to be completed. Instead of working on the major projects like rebuilding bridges, highways, etc., they were instead going to start concentrating on getting more noticeable projects done like water in villages and towns, parks, schools, things noticable by the locals.I believe that the administration did not realize what piss-poor condition Iraq was in before the invasion. I blame them for that. At the same time, I believe that conditions in some areas of Iraq have improved greatly when compared to pre-war conditions, while others have not. Especially in areas with high insurgency activity. Naturally, they are most vocal and get the coverage.

in other words the all important photo op pr stuff that they can point to and say "look what we're doing" to pacify the sheep who take their bullshit like gospel on face value.

Thanks McG, couldn't have put it better myself.

Of course you can see it that way, I have come to expect that from you and many others here. I would expect no less than a flaming retort of some sort for any post I make.

As an alternative, you can look at as an attempt to show the Iraqi people that they are being heard and that the way things get done can change. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:50 am
Sabotage and budgets constrain Iraqi power restoration

by Pamela Hess
12-08-05 On the horizon all around Basra, there is a ring of what appear to be setting suns -- dozens of flaming oil wells, burning off the natural gas that helps force up the crude oil from beneath the desert. Those flames are an opportunity lost.
The long pole in the tent of Iraq reconstruction -- the one piece that absolutely must be in place for anything else to work -- is electricity. It must be generated and it must be distributed.

The United States government knew this when it came into Iraq and made electricity one of its top reconstruction priorities. Yet, despite $ 5 bn already spent by the United States, officials say they are not even close to meeting the demand for power from ordinary Iraqis.
A look at one of the main projects for electrical restoration -- the so-called Phoenix Project -- reveals some of the reasons why. Phoenix took 26 natural gas turbines -- which generate electricity for distribution nationwide -- and brought them back on line. Some had been abandoned, others allowed to fall into disrepair, and others were never completed by Saddam Hussein's regime. All were designed to run on natural gas. But they are currently being fuelled by black crude oil.

Iraq is awash in black oil, a by-product of the refining process. Tankers full of crude oil are heated to three different temperatures. At each temperature a different kind of fuel is drawn off -- kerosene, benzene and diesel, each of which is devoured by the civilian economy to run generators and cars. What is left is black oil, a dirty fuel that the refinery must pump out in order to take in more crude to refine into the useful fuels Iraq so quickly consumes.
The black oil is pumped to factories and to Project Phoenix gas turbines -- electrical generators designed to run on a different fuel entirely. The Army Corps of Engineers has spent millions of dollars to convert the turbines to run on black oil. But that conversion carries another cost: the turbines are harder to maintain, do not run efficiently, and frequently have to be shut down and cleaned out, temporarily reducing production.

The Corps also spent $ 50 mm building two gas turbines at Bayji, north of Baghdad.
"There was a commitment they would be run on natural gas, and now we are spending millions getting it converted" to run on crude, a US official said in Baghdad.
"The fuel issue is a big problem. Getting the right fuels in the right places is a big problem," said another US official.

The problem is one of both politics and technology. The generation of electricity is the responsibility of the Iraqi minister of electricity. The exploitation of natural gas is the province of the oil minister. The two would have to collaborate to re-convert the turbines to natural gas, and thus far the government has shown little interest in exploiting the vast stores of the resource.
"There was a lot of money given to them to do gas development and it didn't happen," a US official said.

Iraqi engineers believe the pressure from natural gas helps force the oil out of the ground. Drawing off the natural gas, Iraqi officials reason, will make it much harder to pump up crude oil -- which in many places gushes out from the ground because of sheer natural pressure.
"I've said just capture and give me what you flame off (the wells in the south), and that would be enough," a US official said. So far the answer has been no. The turbines grind on, inefficiently and periodically breaking down.

The Iraqi government is also refurbishing eight thermal turbines, powerful generators that are designed to run on black oil. It will be years before those come on line, but when they do they will add vastly to the electricity available in the country.
The US government didn't know how bad the state of the country's electricity system was until the invasion in 2003. It might have had some inkling. In the 1991 Persian Gulf War, US bombs specifically targeted the electrical system. A decade of sanctions and Saddam's twisted priorities prevented the system from every being fully restored.

Phoenix is meant to provide as much electricity as quickly as possible to make an immediate impact. It has succeeded, by some measures. When the war ended there were 2,300 MW produced a day. Now they are producing about 4,500 to 5,000 MW a day. But the Iraqi appetite for electricity is about 8,500 MW a day and growing. It is unchecked because electricity is provided free of charge by the government, and because of the brisk market in refrigerators, air conditioners and washing machines.

"We are chasing a moving target," said Bill Thompson, the deputy project manager for electrical generation in the Project and Contracting Office. The US government's intention is to leave production at around 5,000 MW per day.
"It isn't about anything but money," said Thompson. The Corps of Engineers has put about $ 5 bn into the electrical grid, and the account is tapped out. To produce enough to meet Iraq's daily needs would cost around $ 18 bn.

The head of the effort for the Corps of Engineers is well aware of the problem.
"I am already starting out in the hole. We can make things a bit better, but we aren't even close to meeting that national need in any area at all," said Karen Durham-Aguilera, the director of programs for the Project and Contracting Office.
"But we have made things better. When we came in prior to March 2003 Baghdad had 16-20 hours of power a day and everyone else had four hours or none.... All the power (under Saddam's time) led in and out of Baghdad, and we've tried to distribute it" nationally.

It will be up to the fledgling Iraqi government to add capacity to the national grid -- despite the fact that the lack electricity is among the top sources of discontent among Iraqis and one of the frustrations that feeds anti-coalition sentiment and therefore support -- if only passive -- for the insurgency.
In southern Iraq earlier, for instance, a demonstration about the lack of power and water turned violent -- at least three were killed --and led to the temporary ouster of the provincial governor. The power and water issue was jumped on by the cleric Muqtada Sadr, who coalition forces say seeks every chance to exploit problems to advance his political career.

Most of the country only has power half of each day, usually two or three hours on and then two or three hours off. In addition to frustrating the population, the lack of electricity has cascading effects: the water system can not run without electricity, nor can sewage treatment plants. The oil refineries and pipelines -- which provide fuel for electricity turbines -- run on electric power. It is the real life equivalent of a Rubik's Cube. Every move made has the potential to trip something else up.

"It is a very complex system to put back together," said Thompson. "You kind of go around in circles... It's a nightmare for the guy trying to bring back up the water."
"They picked something very hard to do to have an immediate impact," said Dennis Karns, who works with Thompson onelectricity. "To fix that is going to take decades, not one or two years."

The importance of generating electricity to improve material conditions in Iraq -- and hopefully winning over who might otherwise support the insurgency -- cannot be overstated.
"If we are just treading water, we are losing ground," said Thompson, who spent 40 years in the United States working in the electric power business. "And we are losing ground." Generating sufficient electricity is one challenge. It must then be transmitted and distributed to the customer. The transmission lines are frequently targeted for saboteurs, cutting off power to whole regions until the lines are replaced. So too are pipelines, some of which provide fuel for the turbines.
"The reason we can't get power to certain areas is not because of planning but the insurgency," Thompson said.

Less nefariously, individual Iraqis also tap into lines to run additional power into their homes, forming spiders webs of cables between concrete houses and across back alleys. The extra lines overwhelm the system and cause shorts.
In the United States if a transformer shorts out, breakers are tripped that prevent further damage and power is routed down other lines. There are no such fail-safes in the Iraqi system. Transformers are regularly damaged, further diminishing the delivery of power to consumers until they can be repaired. Thompson estimated about 30 % of the electricity generated is lost in transmission due to inefficiencies.

The final hurdle is a long-term one: whether the Iraqi government will be able to take the work already completed by the Corps, maintain it and add to the capacity. The track record so far is not encouraging.
A number of Project Phoenix gas turbines were turned over to the government of Iraq to maintain last September, and they have since been handed back over because they could not be properly managed. Nevertheless, Thompson -- who took the job "for the challenge" -- is optimistic about Iraq's power grid.
"Eventually the thermal turbines will come on line, and the World Bank or private money will get involved" if the country gets more secure, said Thompson.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:53 am
This is what happens when you have poor planning combined with incredible corruption; nothing gets done, the populace gets more sour towards the cause, and things spiral downhill.

You can blame the enemy, but once again, it's our fault for allowing this situation to come about; we should have planned better (at all, it seems).

Perhaps the staffing of the Iraqi reconstruction with junior aides (Republican kids, though) wasn't the best overall plan back in 2003...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 12:06 pm
I'll get to that blog article, Cycloptichorn, but it certainly is long! My computer time is usually broken into chunks that make long article difficult. Maybe I will print it out to read...

Interesting, McGentrix, that the first article you posted was date-lined in July of 2005. It sounds if many had high hopes for electricity then but I don't see much evidence that much has been done, or will be done.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 12:18 pm
This sums it up quite nicely:

Quote:
...despite the fact that the lack electricity is among the top sources of discontent among Iraqis and one of the frustrations that feeds anti-coalition sentiment and therefore support -- if only passive -- for the insurgency.

This is what is so scary about the article in the paper today:

Quote:
The importance of generating electricity to improve material conditions in Iraq -- and hopefully winning over who might otherwise support the insurgency -- cannot be overstated.

It really does point to disorganization and unpreparedness.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 12:24 pm
...and the insurgency is causing many of the problems that have lead to the shortage of electricity. It's a vicious circle.

What needs to happen is a daily bulletin showing how insurgent activities are negatively effecting the Iraqi's lives in the news paper and on TV. Perhaps then the Iraqi people will see how their support of the insurgency, passive or not, is having an impact on their actual lives.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 12:25 pm
But do you think they really don't know?

I think some sort of good-faith efforts from the US to restore services might go further...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 12:30 pm
Do you think they are NOT trying?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 12:33 pm
It really is a vicious circle in the most Catch-22iest way.

There are serious communication, cultural and trust issues between the soliders and the communities they are in.

I think there have been some serious good faith efforts but it is so complicated that it appears more to be wheel spinning than anything else.

I know from first hand accounts how easily trouble can errupt. The people are frustrated and they get angry and saying "We're trying to help!" just doesn't cut it.

When I think about how irritated I can get when dealing with a company on a small matter -- getting a bill straightened out, say -- how someone telling me "I'm trying to help!" can really send me into orbit. "Just fix it" I want to yell.

And I'm a pretty patient person.

It is unimaginable to me what the Iraqi people must be dealing with on a daily basis.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 12:35 pm
Depends on who "they" are, I guess.

I think that there are people on the ground who are doing their very best to uphold what orders they have been given, and are accomplishing some good things, and much respect to them for that.

I think the order-givers are disorganized and not doing things that could reasonably be done that would have a large (positive) effect.
0 Replies