Alito as Supreme Court Justice: Are you concerned?

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 12:39 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
okie wrote:
The "extremist" label is only believed by the extremists themselves. The extreme left is so far out in left field, they have lost touch with reality.

The irony here is delicious.

it really is. i don't see how people that listen to rush can view themselves as benign or mainstream.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 01:24 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
okie wrote:
The "extremist" label is only believed by the extremists themselves. The extreme left is so far out in left field, they have lost touch with reality.

it really is. i don't see how people that listen to rush can view themselves as benign or mainstream.

it really is. i don't see how people that listen to Air America can view themselves as benign or mainstream.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 01:26 pm
mysteryman wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
okie wrote:

it really is. i don't see how people that listen to Air America can view themselves as benign or mainstream.

well, it's really 2 sides of the same coin, donya think ?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:04 pm
I was pointing out irony in a non-partisan way.

The post noted it was only "extremists" use the "extremist" label. It then went on to label others as "extremists".

It just struck me as funny, 'sall.

(For the record I consider myself an extremist independent thinker.)
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:22 pm
yeah, i got that.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 04:02 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
[ i don't see how people that listen to rush can view themselves as benign or mainstream.

Isn't it the top rated, and most listened to radio talk show in America? Must be a reason. Doesn't sound so marginalized or out of the mainstream to me. He is just one of many people with opinions and pertinent information that I listen to, plus following the so-called news.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 04:04 pm
okie wrote:
Perhaps I am a bit unfamiliar with how the Supreme Court works, but I for one, was a bit shocked that he was sworn in one day, and voting on a case within a day! How does one even have a chance to study the case, given all the hoops he has been jumping through lately?

He had just as much opportunity to study the case as the other 8 justices that cast votes did.

The case was a last-minute appeal which means it was just a 2 or 3 page request for a decision. There were no oral arguments or briefs filed and it wasn't scheduled on the docket.

The request was filed, the justices gathered, read it and rendered their decision. In all, it was probably a 30 minute process from start to finish.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 04:23 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
I was pointing out irony in a non-partisan way.

The post noted it was only "extremists" use the "extremist" label. It then went on to label others as "extremists".

It just struck me as funny, 'sall.

(For the record I consider myself an extremist independent thinker.)

I've been on this forum for a while, and interesting I've noticed something that I didn't exactly expect. I expected disagreement, but one thing I've encountered is a tendency of liberals to either not read a sentence in correct context or attempt to change the meaning perhaps on purpose. My statement referred to Thomas commenting that some considered Alito an extremist, and I commented that those people were the extremists, not Alito. I did not say that only extremists use the term "extremist." If you can't read sentences correctly or even interpret questions properly, how can logical conclusions be drawn?

I will throw my lot in with Alito being much more in the mainstream, which I think will result in fairly sound, reasoned, constitutional opinions. Who knows for sure until a track record is compiled, but much more hope than if we were given another former ACLU lawyer.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:04 pm
Okie, I won't disagree,

It's just that terms like "extremist" and "mainstream" and "sense of humor" are subjective terms.

Which of these terms apply to a particular person is a matter of opinion. The arguments about who to call which name are pointless.

I was only amusing myself. I am sorry if you didn't appreciate it. I only hope someone else got a chuckle
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:10 pm
I did.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:27 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Okie, I won't disagree,

It's just that terms like "extremist" and "mainstream" and "sense of humor" are subjective terms.

Which of these terms apply to a particular person is a matter of opinion. The arguments about who to call which name are pointless.

I was only amusing myself. I am sorry if you didn't appreciate it. I only hope someone else got a chuckle

I did chuckle. And I don't understand why my comment, and your comment on it, merits pages of hostile back-and forth.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:34 am
I'm still chuckling - this just keeps on getting better and better.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 10:16 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Okie, I won't disagree,

Thanks. Glad to offer some humor there for you. I appreciated it, but lets just say I am a little hypersensitive and always on the lookout here. When I came on here with the name "okie," lets just say I had some expectations.

P. S. I hope you all have more to chuckle and laugh about today than this.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 12:13 pm
okie wrote:
P. S. I hope you all have more to chuckle and laugh about today than this.

Oh, We Do
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 12:16 pm
Captain Oblivious asks, what were your expectations related to your choice of username, okie?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:22 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Captain Oblivious asks, what were your expectations related to your choice of username, okie?

A few people like to make fun of okies of course. And we are a very conservative state. Kerry only got about a third of the votes here, Bush about two thirds. The Kerrys and Clintons of the world aren't exactly in the mainstream here. It isn't exactly a liberal haven. There are a few old died in the wool FDR Democrats around that consider being a Democrat more important than a religion, so they would vote for Mickey Mouse if he was a Democrat.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:25 pm
Ah, thanks for clarifying.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:41 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Ah, thanks for clarifying.

Anytime. What pond do you nest at by the way?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:11 pm
I'm currently swimming in Georgia (Hotlanta) but I've moved around a bit. We're looking to stay here for a good long spell though.
0 Replies