When Is It A Lie?

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:41 pm
If you make a decision and change your mind is it a lie? Why is it? Why isn't it? And yes, most of my new topics come from something said in another thread. Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,422 • Replies: 147
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:44 pm
A lie is meant to deceive. If someone changes their mind on a certain topic or decision, how could that be a lie? Unless, of course, they meant to make that change right from the get go.

Not knowing what thread this is associated with, I have no preconceived notion.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:46 pm
Hi Intrepid,

So you would say that the intent is what makes something a lie or not?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:47 pm
It's only a lie if you start multiple threads to justify every thing you do.

So, in this case, it's a lie.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:00 am
Ah ha! So, me thinks you thinks I am guilty of some sort of particular behavior here? Hmmmmm. That's interesting.

I will admit that at least 90% of the threads I start are started because of something said in another thread, whether it be something someone else said or something I said.

I got to thinking about what talk72000 said. And, if you look at it at face value, yep, said one thing and did another. What it got me to thinking about was how many times during any given day do you think we change our minds about something?

Do you think that when we change our minds on something it is perceived by someone else as a lie? Now, (sorry talk but you got me going on this) talk72000 saw it as a lie. Intrepid sees it as changing my mind unless I had intended to come back all along.

All very valid observations I would say. So, I'm curious. How do others decide that if someone changes their mind it wasn't just a lie in the first place or was it?

And Lash, you might want to read my thread about me coming back. :wink:
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:01 am
Lash, your name suits you well. You are good at lashing out with your words.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:02 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Hi Intrepid,

So you would say that the intent is what makes something a lie or not?

Absolutely
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:05 am
Ok, so what if you say something mean to someone in anger but you don't really mean it?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:07 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Ok, so what if you say something mean to someone in anger but you don't really mean it?

Then, an apology would be in order.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:10 am
MA

Wouldn't it be best just to continue posting here (seeing it's what you've decided to do & assuming this is what this thread is about?) instead of going on & on about your decision? Seriously, you run the danger of appearing self-obsessed. If you want to do it, just do it! No one is stopping you. Whether it's a "lie" or not is up to you to decide. How would we know, anyway?
0 Replies

Individual

Momma, saying you're leaving without any intent to, for instance, is lying to other people.

Saying you're leaving because you really feel that you can't stay isn't.

Saying you're leaving because you think you will, but you really just need some love or need to hear other's opinions, is lying to yourself.

I hope you took your Prozac this morning. Razz
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Silly! I know that. I just asked because a lot of times when we are really angry with someone we might just blurt something out in the heat of the moment that we don't mean and we know we don't mean it and the other person probably knows we don't mean it. I know it is wrong. I am just wondering if it would be categorized as a lie or something else?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:15 am
msolga wrote:
MA

Wouldn't it be best just to continue posting here (seeing it's what you've decided to do & assuming this is what this thread is about?) instead of going on & on about your decision? Seriously, you run the danger of appearing self-obsessed. If you want to do it, just do it! No one is stopping you. Whether it's a "lie" or not is up to you to decide. How would we know, anyway?

Yes.

Heph--

I can't tell you how much your opinion means to me.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:17 am
Wait a minute! This thread is not about whether I did something right or wrong..

Man! Get over it people! I had a bad day! I quit! I came back! Big deal!

Talk72000 said something in another thread and I got to thinking about it. I thought it was a pretty good thing to ask others about. I didn't mean I wanted to know if I was wrong or right! Trust me, if I want to know that I will ask you!

If you will look at my post to Intrepid you can see I am attempting to delve into other areas about this. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:18 am
LOL that's good to know :wink:
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:19 am
LOL--- I have no idea if she knows what I said.... Jesus. This place has undergone a rude renovation. Somebody, just torch it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:20 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Wait a minute! This thread is not about whether I did something right or wrong..

Look at how you've titled this thread. No one else was asking ....
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:22 am
HEY! Everybody... Lash knows Jesus!!!! Whooooooo hoooooooooo!
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:23 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Silly! I know that. I just asked because a lot of times when we are really angry with someone we might just blurt something out in the heat of the moment that we don't mean and we know we don't mean it and the other person probably knows we don't mean it. I know it is wrong. I am just wondering if it would be categorized as a lie or something else?

Yeah, things get murky when in situations like that. I'd just say that it is what it is, why classify it? If I had to call it anything, I'd call it an insult -- because it's said not to decieve someone, but to hurt them.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:23 am
I'll defer to your more special knowledge, heph.
0 Replies