If You Could Have Another Career, & Money were No Object....

Misti26

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 07:15 pm
Oh, money is no object? Ok, then my career would be a labor of love, artist, which could branch out in many, many directions.

I read a beautiful story once of an artist who married and had a baby girl, and after the marriage turned sour, the mother focused all her attention on the little girls career, she wanted so much that her child would be an artist. Well, that's not what the child really wanted, she did become an artist but in a different vein than her mother. She became a designer of clothes, incorporating her artistic talents into her career, and became world famous.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 08:49 pm
I had two loves in high school - mathematics and history. I just couldn't figure out how to earn a decent living with a history degree, so I studied engineering in college instead.

I've been working as an engineer for 25 years now, and I'm enjoying it less and less. I qualify for early retirement in 665 work days, and am planning on going back to school for that history degree.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 09:01 pm
if money and family responsibilities were no object
and abundant talent was not a requisite:

poet
actor

This IS fantasy after all, isn't it.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 09:09 pm
Peace Corps worker.
Helping to set up schools, hospitals, health educational programs in needy places.

Would love to work in Afghanistan.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 09:17 pm
Jim wrote:
. . . I've been working as an engineer for 25 years now, and I'm enjoying it less and less. I qualify for early retirement in 665 work days, and am planning on going back to school for that history degree. . .

Jim

I know the feeling of counting the days.
I was really burned out in my full-time job but locked into the retirement system. When I started counting I had about one thousand days remaining. What sustained me in that arid time was my work friendships. I now work three evenings a week and am rich in what I always had the least of . . .Time.

The final day DOES arrive Jim, before you know it.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 09:49 pm
jjorge - I know exactly what you mean. I'm the only American on an oil platform in the middle of the Gulf. There are five or six Brits here, and about 60 locals. The Brits are a great bunch of guys - I couldn't stand it here without them.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 11:20 pm
something along the lines of what hugh hefner does, he always seems to be happy Very Happy
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 11:26 pm
i'll second that pueo.

bar owner would be my first choice.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 10:43 am
As a person who has worked in bars for many years, the shine goes off the apple.

It's not the kind of occupatiion where you get to see people at their best and most kind.

Lot's of fights, puke and mean spiritedness I'm afraid.
The occasional stabbing shooting or other serious injury is a given if you stay in bars any length of time.

I had a guys guts blown onto my guitar and shirt literally in a bar shooting on Christmas Day once.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 10:53 am
Shocked
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 10:58 am
Letty it's not all doom and gloom with me, please see my new post Something Positive Smile
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 11:18 am
Guess I did what I always wanted - became a photo-journalist and wrote a weekly column - worked at home on our little mini-farm, enjoying the horses, dogs, big trees and green grass.

But, there was always the desire to be a dancer, an actress, to sing well. I often wondered if that was some misty memory of another life. Can't help thinking that, folks.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 02:17 pm
Bi-Polar Bear,
...This is a good time to sneak in my littte joke/story, that only show people, fully appreciate.

...There was a guy who always wanted to be in show business. So year, after year whenever a show are circus would come to town, he would hang around, hoping to latch on. one day he was outside a tent , and a guy asked him would he like a job. He said hell yeah!,,,all I ever wante to do was be inn Show Busuness! So the guy says , "to start out ,all I can offer is a job, shoveling elephant sh*t.
..So he takes the job , and after a while, he started to smell. People started shunning him. One by one, his friends started to shun him. Finally, he asked his best, and last friend, why no one wanted to be around him. His friend told him, It's that smell Man, You smell like sh*t. You need to quit that job. Our hero, stunned....looked at his friend and said, "WHAT, Shocked and give up show business?
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 02:46 pm
my bar would be on a small island in the south pacific.
you'd need a boat or a plane to get to it.
it would only have 4 stools in the front and one behind the bar for me of course.
in order to keep the overhead down it would be a 'self service bar' that would be run on the honor system.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 02:51 pm
Well hell mikey that's different......need a partner? I'm available now, have capital, and now you've got free entertainment.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 02:59 pm
we don't need capital, we got money...
but the more the merrier i guess.

i forgot to mention you need a written invitation.
but you can all write your own.
that would also reduce the overhead.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:07 pm
Damn, this all sounds so good Mikey.........(here it comes)..........BUT, the most honorable of patrons can start out alright, and then after a while, Drunk Mr. Green ,what happens when the math goes awry?...Come to think of it, it might balance out. some would pay more, some would pay less. Smile
0 Replies