College sophomore stumps Bush on film

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 10:09 am
Maybe his earpiece wasn't working?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 10:16 am
The bit they cut out:-

GW..."You know, I should have brought along the fella that arranges all these loans, he'd be able to answer your question."

Student...."You mean the loan arranger?"

GW....."Nope, you're thinkin' of the guy that used to ride that big white horse, an' he's busy fightin' crime with Tonto."
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 10:24 am
Lash wrote:
They are handing out student loans hand over fist. I've got them out the wazoo.

Nice delicate turn of a phrase. Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 10:25 am
Lash wrote:
He didn't want to call her a liar. I think her facts are a bit incorrect. They may have cut something, but not student loans.

Link?
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 10:46 am
Lash wrote:
They are handing out student loans hand over fist. I've got them out the wazoo.

That's probably why he was stumped. He didn't want to call her a liar. I think her facts are a bit incorrect. They may have cut something, but not student loans.

I see denial isn't just a river in Egypt. Do you really Keep your eyes that tightly closed when it comes to any criticism of this president? It would almost be funny if it weren't true.

Quote:
In his final debate with U.S. Sen. John Kerry...He looked toward the camera and assured viewers he would "continue to expand Pell Grants to make sure that people have an opportunity to start their career with a college diploma."

Little more than a month after his re-election, expand is about to become contract.

The spending bill the White House helped broker through Congress last month takes double aim at Pell Grants. First, the maximum grant will remain at $4,050 a year, unchanged for the third consecutive year at a time when tuitions are rising by more than 10 percent. (In his 2000 campaign for president, Bush pledged a first-year Pell Grant of $5,100.) Second, and more telling, the bill allows the U.S. Department of Education to proceed with a new eligibility formula that will remove an estimated 90,000 qualified students. The formula was first proposed by the DOE in 2003 but quietly dropped during the election year as Congress banned its implementation.

LINK

If you don't find this to be disturbing, you're past the point of no return.

Quote:
If the current leadership has its way, Congress will pass more than $100 billion in tax cuts early this year, the vast bulk of which will go to the very wealthy. At the same time, it will cast the final vote to make the largest cut in student college loan programs in history -- some $12.7 billion over five years.

The student loan cuts just passed by Congress, according to experts cited by the Wall Street Journal, will raise the average cost over 10 years by $2,000 to students and $3,000 to parents.

LINK

But clearly, there is no problem because they're giving out loans "hand over fist." Right. And Santa Clause is real, the Easter Bunny is on the way, and Osama "really isn't that big a threat" anymore. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 10:49 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:

GW..."You know, I should have brought along the fella that arranges all these loans, he'd be able to answer your question."

GW....."Nope, you're thinkin' of the guy that used to ride that big white horse, an' he's busy fightin' crime with Tonto."

Ok, I just woke up after a long night and that joke hit me like a freight train after about three seconds of me looking at it, going "whaaaat?"

Well done Laughing
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 11:01 am
JustanObserver wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Ok, I just woke up after a long night and that joke hit me like a freight train after about three seconds of me looking at it, going "whaaaat?"

Well done Laughing

OH!!! i just got it too! Classic!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 04:47 pm
People-- I'm in school. I work in the Registrar's Office next to--and in conjunction with--Financial Aid.

No one who meets the qualification is denied financial aid.

Say what you like, but I see proof that financial aid is being handed out liberally every day.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 04:48 pm
Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get some money out of my wazoo.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 05:40 pm
Lord, you win!

Lash, you see the articles, are you telling me the money isn't being cut?

I think you're working too hard on that 4.0 these days.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 06:32 pm
Lash wrote:
People-- I'm in school. I work in the Registrar's Office next to--and in conjunction with--Financial Aid.

No one who meets the qualification is denied financial aid.

Say what you like, but I see proof that financial aid is being handed out liberally every day.

WOW! Your school is giving out financial aid! One school, out of how many? And clearly, since YOUR school is giving out financial aid, then, by your amazing powers of deduction, ALL schools and their students are getting money "out the wazoo"!

Thanks for the post. I know better than to take you seriously from now on.

By the way, statistics about murder must be a joke. I mean, no one has been murdered on my block, so obviously these statistics are total BS!

Laughing
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 06:35 pm
Come get your financial aid!!!!

The only stipulation is we insist on putting it in your wazoo.

The Pell has national guidelines. Where is it not being dispensed?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 06:37 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Lord, you win!

Lash, you see the articles, are you telling me the money isn't being cut?

I think you're working too hard on that 4.0 these days.

Cycloptichorn

I gave up scholarship. I'm a 3.7 now, and things aren't looking too good for next grading period. Sigh.

(But, I did make the National Dean's List.)

Woo-hooooo!!!!!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 06:42 pm
Quote:
The Pell has national guidelines. Where is it not being dispensed?

Into people's wallets. The size of the pell grant is smaller, I believe, than it used to be and the program certainly hasn't expanded.

Quote:
I gave up scholarship. I'm a 3.7 now, and things aren't looking too good for next grading period.

Congradulations! It's better this way. Less pressure.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies