The Middle of the Road or Not?

littlek

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:58 pm
Why do you care so much about what we all think?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:01 pm
Not the point littlek, not the point at all.

The point is why the heck can't we compromise on anything? No wonder this world is in such a friggin mess. Everybody has to be right. No one can just agree to disagree? Compromise is thrown out the window? I find it very sad.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:03 pm
I think you want someone to approve of your opinion.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:05 pm
I give a flying flip about who agrees with my opinion or not. I surely would have thought you knew me better than that Lash.

You all just don't get it, do you? Does anyone here know what it means to compromise? I was willing to compromise. And.......?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:10 pm
All I can go by is what you say. It seems like you think someone should approve your compromise.

Maybe someone will show up who approves it. I think it would be better to be hot or cold with conviction, rather than lukewarm...
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:17 pm
Lash wrote:
All I can go by is what you say. It seems like you think someone should approve your compromise.

Maybe someone will show up who approves it. I think it would be better to be hot or cold with conviction, rather than lukewarm...

Lash,

I can't tell you how much that hurt my feelings. It probably shouldn't have. But, I care about people. Even people I only have written contact with. I don't care if anyone approves my compromise or not. I am trying to show that I can learn and I can adjust my thinking as many have said I probably should. So, I took their advice and looked at it and did what I thought was the best thing to do.

And I get lukewarm from you?! Great, let's see, do I want to be called a homophobic bigot or just a lukewarm what?

I guess I'm just a bit tired of being lumped into the category of the Pat Robertson type Christians. It doesn't matter how I try to show I am not like that. There will always be many that won't listen to what I actually say instead of what they think I would say.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:24 pm
Re: The Middle of the Road or Not?
Doktor S wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:

If you abstain from voting on the same sex marriage issue (assuming you would get to vote on it) are you discriminating against anyone?

Can there be a "middle of the road" (neither for nor against) on this issue?

Another angle;
What is inherently wrong with discrimination anyway?
Is not any judgement or conclusion we reach about anything discrimination?
Every time we make a choice do we not leave all possible alternatives 'discriminated against'?
Just some food for thought
Only if you argue on a semantic basis, and given the context of Mom's opening remarks I claim it's a safe bet that when posters refer to the word "discrimination" in this thread they tend not to mean "the ability or power to see or make fine distinctions; discernment" but tend to mean "treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit; partiality or prejudice: racial discrimination; discrimination against foreigners"

Of course I cannot directly speak for other posters, but as mentioned the context and spirit of the post as initiated by Mom seems clear enough when she asks "are you discriminating against anyone?"

It's cool to review all distinctions of the word "discrimination" though because as the least it illuminates how easy it is to think you know what another is saying, when in fact there has been no defining of terms.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:25 pm
Lash wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
So, unless I vote yes, I am wrong?

I have to set aside my right to vote my conscience in order to be right? I have to overlook my right for someone elses'?

If my conscience dictated that I should actively deny people their rights, I'd ask myself why I felt that way.

Ask yourself why you think this is a "right".
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:26 pm
I can'tfigure out why it hurt your feelings. I'd hate to think you've changed your opinion based on nothing more than other people saying you should.

I hope only a change in your view would cause you to change the way you vote.

I think you are sort of fooling your self about something,and I'm only trying to help you.

In one sentence you say: I don't care if anyone approves my compromise or not.

and then you turn right away and say: I am trying to show that I can learn and I can adjust my thinking as many have said I probably should.

Can you see that those two statements are contradictory? You DO want to show people a new opinion you want approved. I am really not trying to argue. You don't see something that you should see.

Otherwise, you'd state your opinion and move on.

Lukewarm is just that oatmealy place in the middle. No insult intended.

Do you see how many times you talk about what you're trying to "show" people?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:27 pm
real life wrote:
Lash wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:

I have to set aside my right to vote my conscience in order to be right? I have to overlook my right for someone elses'?

If my conscience dictated that I should actively deny people their rights, I'd ask myself why I felt that way.

Is your right to marry a right?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:28 pm
Lash wrote:
real life wrote:
Lash wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:

Is your right to marry a right?
Does a group of five have a "right" to marry?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:29 pm
Lash,

Just forget it, ok? It doesn't matter.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:29 pm
No. Should we start a lobby for them?

Meanwhile, why don't we start with single adults.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:31 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Lash,

Just forget it, ok? It doesn't matter.

That's fine.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:31 pm
Does a bigamist have a "right" to marry?

How 'bout a single man who wants to "marry" his pet?
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:32 pm
This has to be one of the most even, most mature, yet heartfelt Topics I've read since I've been back! My respects to you all, this has been a wonderful read!!

Anon
0 Replies

Lash

You really do a great disservice to gay men and women by assigning them status with animals and bigamists.

They deserve better than that.
0 Replies

real life

The point is that marriage is and isn't certain things.

Why should we redefine marriage?
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:35 pm
Let the adults continue on real life, you're f*cking up a great discussion!

Anon
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:35 pm
It's like the folks who say "I want to be a Catholic, but I think that the Catholic church should believe x, y, and z."

Well then what you want to be is something other than Catholic.

So go be that.

But don't ask the Catholics to redefine what they are for your sake.
0 Replies