The Middle of the Road or Not?

husker

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 01:24 pm
bookmarking to read later
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 01:34 pm
Responding to:

Why don't you explain how saying that I'm unsure as to whether it is a biological expression or just a choice is "imposing my opinion" on anyone's life? How would discussing the reason affect their decision in the least?

That was where the "assuming a tad" came in. I do equate people, who think homosexuality is a choice, to be anti-gay, and to vote accordingly. Admittedly, a bit of an assumption. I have found it to be a 100% accurate assumption so far in my life, but possibly, you may change that percentage a bit.

Do you feel gay people have the right to marry, if they choose?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 01:38 pm
Lash wrote:
Responding to:

Why don't you explain how saying that I'm unsure as to whether it is a biological expression or just a choice is "imposing my opinion" on anyone's life? How would discussing the reason affect their decision in the least?

That was where the "assuming a tad" came in. I do equate people, who think homosexuality is a choice, to be anti-gay, and to vote accordingly. Admittedly, a bit of an assumption. I have found it to be a 100% accurate assumption so far in my life, but possibly, you may change that percentage a bit.

Do you feel gay people have the right to marry, if they choose?

Absolutely. Especially within the US, a country that prides itself on it's freedoms and liberties. It makes no sense to allow one group to marry while denying another.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 01:47 pm
You have broken the 100% lock, then, and I am glad. I'll have to adjust my assumptions a tad, and I loved the way you shared your view.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 02:25 pm
This might be of good use to you, guys (or not). This link is relevant to this thread. Well, about the argument about homosexuals.

"The scientific findings began in 1991 when Simon LeVay, working at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in San Diego, found subtle differences in the post-mortem brains of heterosexual and homosexual young men."

for more information:

http://www.bio.davidson.edu/courses/genomics/2002/Pierce/gaygene.htm
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 02:36 pm
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
This might be of good use to you, guys (or not). This link is relevant to this thread. Well, about the argument about homosexuals.

"The scientific findings began in 1991 when Simon LeVay, working at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in San Diego, found subtle differences in the post-mortem brains of heterosexual and homosexual young men."

for more information:

http://www.bio.davidson.edu/courses/genomics/2002/Pierce/gaygene.htm

Reading further in that article:

"The year 1995 marked beginning of the end of optimism for chromosome Xq28 as an indicator of male homosexuality. In this year Scientific American printed an article that mentioned the doubts in the scientific community over the genetics of homosexuality. LeVay's findings, the article reports, "have yet to be fully replicated by another researcher" (Horgan, 1995). Also, one study contradicted Hamer's results and Scientific American reported that he had "been charged with research improprieties and is now under investigation by the Federal Office of Research Integrity," which was basically a result of his excluding "pairs of brothers whose genetic makeup contradicted his finding" (Horgan, 1995). This news report came in the November edition of the magazine, which was essentially presenting a retraction for the article the two scientists coauthored in 1994. Unfortunately for these two researchers, more bad news was to follow."

Thanks for the link JP.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 03:39 pm
This seems to be quite an argument, indeed.

"Hamer's study, along with others, have tried to located a gene that influences female homosexuality, but they have been unsuccessful. More importantly, the region of the X chromosome that very possibly could influence male homosexuality does not influence females in the same way".

If you want to know further, this is the source:

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/f97/projects97/Newman.html
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 03:45 pm
Personally, I think that churches should stay out of government. If they paid taxes like the rest of us, then they would be a special interest group like any other, and IMO, would have the right to influence legislation.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 04:47 pm
Irrelative of if and/or when there is a genetic marker for same sex predisposition, I would argue that a genetic marker for opposite sex predisposition has just as much credence.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 04:49 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
If they paid taxes like the rest of us........
Would be nice!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 06:01 pm
I was thinking how POd the churches must/would get when the government starts telling them what to do.....
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 12:00 am
Law # 15

Hmmmm....

I think this crown might be getting a little heavy...

see next thread for the continued conversation with myself...
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 12:16 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I have met gay guys who knew that they were "different" at the age of 3 or 4. You can't say that THAT is learned behavior!

I know 3 year olds who say "I hate you. I'm going to kill you."

Should we just assume that they are born killers?

No sense teaching them that expressing emotions in a violent manner is wrong, since they obviously couldn't have learned it at this early age.

The only reasonable conclusion is that they were born that way, right?

To base anything on the feelings of a 3 or 4 year is ludicrous, Phoenix.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 12:31 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Personally, I think that churches should stay out of government. If they paid taxes like the rest of us, then they would be a special interest group like any other, and IMO, would have the right to influence legislation.

Do you have the right to participate in government based on the fact that the company you work for pays taxes?

Or is it because you are an individual citizen, you pay taxes as an individual and you cast an individual vote?

What does it have to do with anything that a person is a church member and the organization is tax exempt?

Should school district employees be disqualified from political participation (I think most educational institutions are tax exempt, aren't they?)

Members of political parties, then, should also be disqualified from political participation? Aren't political parties tax exempt?

Really Phoenix the lengths you will go to trying to disenfranchise Christians is just startling.

Do you really believe what you write?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 01:02 am
You are saying what I had been thinking but did not want to write.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 01:19 am
Can I ask a question please? Why is it we have to justify what we believe?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 01:20 am
We don't
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 01:20 am
We don't
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 01:27 am
If we don't, then why do we?