[HELP]Any sentence containing all the phonemes in English?

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 07:24 am
There is pangram which contains all the letters in English. An example is as follows:
Quote:
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

Is there a sentence containing all the phonemes in English?

Thank you in advance! Embarrassed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,577 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:16 am
Oof, it would have to be pretty long. There are 42, see: http://www.auburn.edu/~murraba/spellings.html
0 Replies

ilovequestions

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 12:15 pm
Sorry, my question is

Quote:
Is there a sentence containing all the phonemes in English?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 07:46 am
Yes, I know that. I am going to ask my linguist friend tomorrow.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 01:51 pm
I checked with the two PhD. linguists that I work with, and neither of them recall anything from either school or work where a sentence was created with all of the phonemes. Of course it's possible to do this, but so far as they are aware, there's no "official" quick brown fox .. type of sentence out there.
0 Replies

AaTruly

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 12:04 pm
This is puzzling to me. Are you using "phoneme" in any sense other than all the letters of the alphabet in English?

A Web search using "pangram" would bring up many pangrams. My favorite is this one:

"Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs."
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 01:22 pm
Phonemes aren't letters, they're the sounds of English. A, for example, has way more than one sound to it.
0 Replies

Miriam English

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 04:44 pm
@ilovequestions,
I know this is an old question, but it still comes up in a google search, so I figure I'll answer with 6 examples I've found.

That quick beige fox jumped in the air over each thin dog. Look out, I shout, for he's foiled you again, creating chaos.

Are those shy Eurasian footwear, cowboy chaps, or jolly earthmoving headgear?

The hungry purple dinosaur ate the kind, zingy fox, the jabbering crab, and the mad whale and started vending and quacking.

With tenure, Suzieā€™d have all the more leisure for yachting, but her publications are no good.

Shaw, those twelve beige hooks are joined if I patch a young, gooey mouth.

The beige hue on the waters of the loch impressed all, including the French queen, before she heard that symphony again, just as young Arthur wanted.

Apparently they are not perfect because some phonemes change slightly when preceded by a different one, for example the "a" sound differs slightly between "can" and "man". The examples above suit what I wanted. Perhaps they may be of use to you or other people. (I found the examples at https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-text-that-covers-the-entire-English-phonetic-range )
0 Replies