Why Do You Post and/or Read A2K Political Threads?

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 08:01 am
Politics is a very volatile subject. Like sex and religion, there is a widely diverse spectrum of thought in political matters. A2K affords the opportunity to air your political views, discuss issues, and learn about the various intricacies of politics.

I have observed that there seems to be tremendous differences in how people post on political threads. Some members seem to have an agenda that they want to push. Others apparently want to discuss, and kick around ideas. Others may just want to "hang around", and learn something new.

Why do YOU post and/or read A2K political threads?

My intent for this thread is that the discussion remain in the conceptual sphere. Please do not interject political parties, politicians, or particular political viewpoints. Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,909 • Replies: 55
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 08:09 am
I post because I seek empathy with those who share my ideals. Secondary is a need to respond when I see others trashing those ideals. I have no illusions that others will change their beliefs because of anything I have to say.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 08:17 am
Every once in a while I read something in the newspaper or see something on TV and gasp "How can anyone really think that?" If it's a political-type TV show, I often talk back to the screen. (Well, used to... I don't watch that stuff much anymore.)

I have enjoyed being able to indulge that impulse in an actual interactive format, and then learn why people really think the way they do. I don't expect to change minds (though I confess to trying sometimes) and I don't really expect my own mind to change (though I keep it as open as I can), but I find it useful to see how other people think and why they think it. And by engaging in a dialogue, I often clarify and deepen my understanding of why I think the way I do, too.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 08:26 am
I enjoy lively conversation.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 09:14 am
A willingness or tendency to subject oneself to unpleasant or trying experiences.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 09:20 am
I like poltical discussions, have studied Political Sciences, been elected in local/regional parliamentary commitees ... .
I like most of the poltical discussions here and have learnt a lot - about me, others and poltics.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 09:21 am
damifiknow
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 09:21 am
Probably what Dyslexia said.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 01:39 pm
Because I haven't yet learned that estranging people who otherwise share much in common with me is not worth the joy that talking politics brings.

Either that or I naively think that it won't happen.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 01:54 pm
Occasionally respond out of anger, and invariably regret it. Find the whole process generally unenjoyable and unproductive. The lack of face-to-face personal accountability leads both others and myself to behave egregiously.

Got quite involved in the pol. threads at first on Abuzz, but found it increasingly difficult to disagree with any kind of civility with people of different political philosophies (with the occasional exception of folks like maxsdadeo).
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 01:56 pm
Wow! Great way to say that, Craven. Congratulations.

One of the reasons I am here is because I like to argue. In fact, I love to argue. Always have.

In political threads, I am almost exclusively a counter-puncher -- not one to lead off at all.

In the religion threads I tend toward leading -- although even there I prefer the counter.

I tend to get heated in both political and religious threads -- and if given any justification at all, I pounce.

Sorry about that!

Truly!

Without breaking faith with your admonition not to be specific to a particular political bent here, Phoenix-- I also post because I see certain political postures to be seriously threatening to things I hold dear, and I feel compelled to give "the other side of the story" to those postings.

And, of course I post here because I enjoy all of you -- I enjoy your cyber company.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 02:11 pm
At this point, after the trolls on Abuzz, I'm very leery of political threads. I'm willing to listen to views, but not to vitrol.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 02:22 pm
Noddy24- I'm with you. I am always interested in hearing all sides of a situation. I don't think that in ANY political situation, that one side is 100% right, while the other side is 100% wrong. I like to listen to all the nuances, and make up my own mind.

I find that I become very annoyed with people who seem to be pushing their own personal agenda on the rest of us. I find that when I come to a post with certain member's names, I pass it by. I like discussion, and respect for each other's RIGHT to their opinion (even though I may not respect that opinion).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 02:41 pm
Mainly to learn - both because it is especially interesting to see how people from other countries think, and because there are people here with real expertise and knowledge about things I really know nothing about - but also because of the reasons that Dyslexia and Craven give.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 04:09 pm
I have always been a people watcher. Also, I have a tendency to look for systems or processes for problem solving. When I chance upon a thread wherein the postings are logical with varying opinions, I see this as an opportunity to learn. Threads which are supported by links are even better.

Presently, I am more of a watcher of current politics. Are we observing a major shift in political reality? Will the George Bush crew of advisors have a second four years to operate? Will the Federal Government get out of the give-away business? Will states be expected to come up with their own monies? What programs/activities will states eliminate?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 04:36 pm
It helps to know there are others who are as out of step as I am right now, given all the uncritical flag-waving in the national media. At the same time, I find it interesting to read the ideas of those I disagree with; it helps me understand that point of view better. The level of political dialog is pretty good here; the hostile partisanship of Abuzz rarely mainifests itself.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 11:43 pm
Phoenix
I share your views. I like to see what other people think and also like expressing my opinion every now and then. I don't say very much in the political threads, but I do like to watch them to learn other peoples opinions and learn what I can.
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 05:05 pm
So that I'll know whose posts/topics to ignore. The more they rant and rave in the political section, the more I disregard anything else they have to offer. Although I am very active in my city government, I use the same criterion in avoiding other members. As far as they are concerned, they are right--and everyone else is wrong.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 05:08 pm
Do you think that most political posters on A2K are interested in learning about various political views, or do they want to affirm the views that they already hold?
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 05:59 pm
I think it's not only to affirm their own views, but to force them on others in an unreasonable manner. I don't think any of them want to hear 'the other side' no matter how informative.

There are two members of Congress I could listen to for hours and never know which political party they belong to: Rep. Jane Harman (D-CA) and Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT). They seem to be equal in their criticism and/or praise of the current administration. I've heard Hatch spout off occasionally, but in Senate hearings not during a TV or radio interview. I have yet to hear Harman raise her voice above the calm tone she usually displays.

I strongly feel politics ruined Abuzz completely. The uninformed, unintelligent, name callers have taken over and left nothing. Are they still in business? Haven't been over there in absolutely months! And I really don't miss it, either. When work slows down a bit, I hope I can check into A2K more often.
0 Replies