Is our college students learning?

yitwail

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 02:57 pm
I suppose I could have posted this under literature, but where it belongs is in an Education forum, which doesn't exist. I also apologize for linking to a Yahoo!/AP story, which may not persist as long as one taken from a newspaper site.

WASHINGTON - Nearing a diploma, most college students cannot handle many complex but common tasks, from understanding credit card offers to comparing the cost per ounce of food.

Those are the sobering findings of a study of literacy on college campuses, the first to target the skills of students as they approach the start of their careers.

More than 50 percent of students at four-year schools and more than 75 percent at two-year colleges lacked the skills to perform complex literacy tasks.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060119/ap_on_go_ot/literacy_college_students
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 643 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 04:25 pm
I'd be interested in taking that test to see what kind of questions they ask.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 04:40 pm
you can find some sample questions & answers here:

http://nces.ed.gov/NAAL/index.asp?file=TestQuestions/TestQuestion.asp&PageId=147

although the items are only from 1985 & 1992, the same, or similar, items probably appear in the current test. in the form that appears, if you sort results by "P-Value" it lists the most commonly missed questions first.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 04:45 pm
yitwail wrote

Is our college students learning

I guess not. :wink:
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 04:45 pm
I heard a talk show on a Tennessee radio station last FAll. It was about education in the Knoxville area. A woman called in and identified herself as an instructor at the local college . "I teaches English" was the exact phrase she used
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 04:46 pm
I certainly hope that the title of this thread was intended as ironic humor.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 04:50 pm
There is a teaching forum - look at the description of it in the forum index under Careers.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=41
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:03 pm
Funny, Yit. The subject of your thread makes the statement. <smile>

Yit, I suspect that it's the paper chase after all. I still contend that there's more to UNlearning than learning.
0 Replies