What American Conservatives Need to Know about Europe

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 03:43 pm
Since I don't know, how long the report will be awailable online, I'll post it full length.

From the English version of Spiegel Online.
By Alexander Gauland
Alexander Gauland, born in 1941, published the Märkische Allgemeine newspaper in Potsdam until mid- 2005. Until 1991 he was chief of staff in the governor's office in the German state of Hessen under Walter Wallmann (CDU). He's a well- known conservative thinker in Germany and author of several books, including, "Anleitung zum Konservativsein" ("Introduction to Being Conservative"), Munich, 2002.

Quote:
SPIEGEL ONLINE - January 16, 2006

God versus the State

What American Conservatives Need to Know about Europe

By Alexander Gauland

German Chancellor Angela Merkel's recent trip to Washington has a lot of people talking about "common values" among conservatives. But a US conservative is a different species from a European conservative. And the neo-cons just don't get it.

hardly surprising that Chancellor Angela Merkel is a woman with pro-American instincts. It was the US victory over the Soviet Union in the Cold War, after all, which allowed her to graduate from a communist upbringing in East Germany to leadership of a re-united Germany.

But since the beginning of her term in November, it's been post-Cold War realities -- including secret CIA prisons in Europe, extraordinary renditions, and Guantanamo -- which have defined the US-German relationship. Indeed, given such differences, one wonders just what exactly are those "common values" so often touted by conservatives on both sides of the Atlantic? What does the American and European right share?

British historian Tony Judt recently pointed out that Europe and America have been lumped together in an entity known as "the West" only since Word War II. It's an entity that held strong from Pearl Harbor through the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989. But ever since the pressure for this western "community of values" disappeared, we've returned to a world order that's defined international relations since 1815: a world made up of sovereign nation-states. And it's a world order that doesn't know a "community of values." When Austria, Russia, and Prussia tried in 1815 to forge such a community in Europe, against the tide of revolution, England and France kept their distance, and the Holy Alliance devolved into an alliance of eastern powers. Historical experience and national interests -- the soil of all conservatism -- were simply too diverse.

What was true then is still true. America may be the land of promise for conservatives now, the way Great Britain was the land of promise for liberals (including free-market liberals) in the 19th century. But in principle nothing has changed. What Angela Merkel sees as self-evident because of her personal background doesn't match up with the collective historical memory of most Germans.

God versus the state

Of course, Continental Europe is different from the US. What Americans see as naturally paired -- individualism with tradition, Christian fundamentalism with open markets -- have been separated in Europe since the Thirty Years War. In America, the individual came before the state, in theory and in chronology. In Europe after the Thirty Years War, for want of a strong middle class, rebuilding society was a matter for princes and the royal elite.

In American tradition, the only power looking out for everyone is an individual God. In Europe, the state is the basis and goal of every social structure. Europe wasn't built by land-hungry colonists plunging into an unknown world, but by French kings and their Habsburg cousins, trying to forge a stable society from the ashes of the (bitterly religious) Thirty Years War. The still-virulent mercantilism of leaders like French President Jacques Chirac and French Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy has its roots in this past.

German princes in Hessen and Prussia repopulated the land with Protestants fleeing religious persecution. Frederick the Great dried up the swampy Oderbruch region near Poland and turned it into farmland. Such public works helped revive Europe after the fury of religious intolerance had laid the continent to waste, and a personal -- Protestant -- God was consciously linked to the state in order to shore up a new social contract. Conservatives at first resisted the state's taking responsibility for a weak society. Later, though, they defended the state's new authority against the anarchy of individualism -- and served the state even when it didn't quite meet their conceptions of what a state should be.

A 300-year long chain

Today, some on the European right call for individual responsibility, and disparage any belief in a collective state. But in doing so, they tend to overlook that the establishment of state welfare as an absolute necessity for a modern European state is the last link in a 300-year long chain. Europe was built by its princes, America settled by its people. The very fact that more castles, theaters, galleries, and public parks exist between Paris and Moscow than in any other part of the world is just the other side of a coin which some "conservatives" today would like to cash in for a fundamental change of mind.

Like England and France, after two devastating world wars, Germany arrived at the social state. This allowed Germans to forget their dreams of empire (as Michel Foucault has argued), in the same way the war called the British back from India, and the French from their revolutionary, Napoleonic dream of world liberation.

Without their social state, Germans would have fallen back on "Germanness," which had already proved to be a slippery slope. Germany never managed to fulfill Bismarck's vision of a "reich" -- at least not with the Germans' full cooperation. Legitimate power needs to inspire loyalty rather than fear (something Hitler failed to understand); and if Bismarck's vision of a united Germany had historical justifications, it had no self-evident force as an idea in itself.

Which is to say: Hitler's reich never called on Germans' imagination, or on their hopes, or on their faith in humanity. Being "German" involved no commitment, like being English or French -- it implied no service to supranational ideals like those represented by the Christian kingdom in France, whose idea of civilization led directly to the Revolution in 1789. Compared to an Englishman, with his sense of tradition, a German has only a vague idea of his "nation" and his national traits.

In fact, there's no plain and natural German Way of Life. German society -- unlike, say, the traditional way of life in the Republican Midwest -- derives from a German cultural tradition which is difficult to separate from German state tradition. And people have simply become used to it.

Neo-cons just don't get it

That's the difference between the US and Germany: Americans are used to minimal government, but for Germans, after two world wars and the collapse of almost every religious certainty, the welfare state has become a spiritual necessity, which can be reformed but not revolutionized without damage to the collective soul.

Angela Merkel understood these connections only after her muddled election last fall; the champions of a "community of values" still haven't understood them. But in the end, an alliance based on common interests won't collapse just because the values are different. History, too, has seen alliances bound goals rather than values.

When the French Republic managed to forge an alliance with the Russian empire, it was only because France and Russia could diplomatically ignore each other's values. The goal, after all, was defense against a common threat and not to make the French feel at home in Russia.

In other words, the sooner we disconnect German foreign policy from the straightjacket of "common values," the more stable relations with the United States will become. Conservatives understand this line of thinking. Neo-liberals and neo-conservatives, on the other hand, remain blinded by "common values."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 847 • Replies: 16
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 08:10 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 08:13 pm
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 09:16 pm
The author has butchered a goodly amount of history, but the contemporary points of comparison are fairly well-taken.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 11:24 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

.... ..!
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 06:33 am
There are differences between European Conservatives and American conservatives, but isn't this idea of a "common value" a good uniting force?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:58 am
Re: What American Conservatives Need to Know about Europe
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Since I don't know, how long the report will be awailable online, I'll post it full length.

From the English version of Spiegel Online.
By Alexander Gauland
Alexander Gauland, born in 1941, published the Märkische Allgemeine newspaper in Potsdam until mid- 2005. Until 1991 he was chief of staff in the governor's office in the German state of Hessen under Walter Wallmann (CDU). He's a well- known conservative thinker in Germany and author of several books, including, "Anleitung zum Konservativsein" ("Introduction to Being Conservative"), Munich, 2002.

I read it, and read it again. Alot of it seems to not make much sense to me to be honest. Alot of "profound" statements intertwined throughout, that didn't seem to tie together very well. I don't live in Germany, so perhaps it would make more sense if I did. I picked out one phrase that seems to capture the essence, "....the welfare state has become a spiritual necessity,...." I think that sort of sums it up. I think thats where its headed in lots of places, including the U.S. Attitudes continue to change, and actually this has pertinence to the thread about Left vs. Right, as I believe society is drifting left, perhaps in many parts of the world because of less self reliance, less personal responsibility, less faith in God, coupled with more expectations from government, not just for the opportunity to pursue happiness, but for the government to somehow give them happiness. There is the factor somewhat like your phrase, God vs. the State. And if you don't believe in God, whats left to give you what you think everybody wants?

By the way, I would like another definition from Mr. Hinteler as to what he thinks a Neo-con or even a Neo-liberal is.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:08 am
Re: What American Conservatives Need to Know about Europe
okie wrote:
There is the factor somewhat like your phrase, God vs. the State. And if you don't believe in God, whats left to give you what you think everybody wants?

By the way, I would like another definition from Mr. Hinteler as to what he thinks a Neo-con or even a Neo-liberal is.

You may not be aware of that, but I didn't write that article but copied and pasted it (source, author and info about the author in my quotation).

I'm not aware where, when and why I said "God vs. the State". I don't see any point in this besides in a - perhaps - historical context.

I don't know neither, why you think, I didn't believe in God.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:18 am
Yes, sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear. I realize you were quoting the article, and I confused by just quoting information about the author. Also, I wasn't addressing you personally in my reference to God vs. State. I noticed that phrase was above the main heading of the article and apparently part of the article you quoted, so I knew it wasn't something you wrote, but I thought it tied in with some of the things in the article.

To add to what I said, I believe there are certain common denominators to human nature, so I believe true conservatism should be what it is regardless of where it is. Situations in different countries can cause differences and variations, but there should still be things in common if it is true conservatism.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:41 am
"True conservatism" - definated by whom, when and where?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 04:23 pm
How about trying a contemporary meaning in politics here in the U.S.? Thats not perfect, but a good place to start. If the term doesn't fit in Europe exactly, lets look at the ideals underlying the term. I am more interested in some of the ideals currently defined as conservative here in this country than I am the term itself. The terms may apply to conserving the traditional, stable situation, and what if the current situation is lousy, I'm not for that. However, as I look at politics here in America, I think where the liberals want to take us is far worse than what we have, so I am very conservative. I would think there should be some common ground with Europe. If you've got a better idea, lets hear it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 04:35 pm
A German conservative writes an article about what the American and European right share. In a German magazine.

Modern conservatisms developed in the early-modern and modern periods in Europe.

Why should he write about conservatism in terms as in the contemporary meaning in politics in the U.S.?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:46 pm
Well, I guess its great to understand European conservatism, but at the end of the day, we should be comfortable with ourselves, and if we think the principles are important enough, simply stand up for them. I don't think we as Americans need to hang our head in shame for the way we've conducted ourselves.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:46 am
"What American Conservatives Need to Know about Europe"

Nothing! They smoke weed there. Bad people. Stay out!!
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 01:18 pm
okie wrote:
Well, I guess its great to understand European conservatism, but at the end of the day, we should be comfortable with ourselves, and if we think the principles are important enough, simply stand up for them. I don't think we as Americans need to hang our head in shame for the way we've conducted ourselves.

Hanging one's head in shame is far from an adequate reaction to the harm America has extracted on the world. Wave your flag and ignore reality if it comforts you though.

From Angels in America by Tony Kushner

Quote:
Belize: You know what your problem is, Louis? Your problem is that you are so full of piping hot crap that the mention of your name draws flies. Just to set the record straight: I love Prior but was never in love with him. I have a man, uptown, and have since long before I first laid my eyes on the sorry-ass sight of you. But you didn't know cause you never bothered to ask. Up in the air, just like that angel, too far off the earth to pick out the details. Louis and his big ideas. Big ideas are all you love. America is what Louis loves. Well I hate America, Louis. I hate this country. It's just big ideas, and stories, and people dying, and people like you. The white cracker who wrote the national anthem knew what he was doing. He set the word 'free' to a note so high nobody can reach it. That was deliberate. Nothing on earth sounds less like freedom to me. You come to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean. I live in America, Louis, that's hard enough, I don't have to love it. You do that. Everybody's got to love something.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 01:58 pm
nimh wrote:
"What American Conservatives Need to Know about Europe"

Nothing!

yup.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 07:05 pm
McGentrix wrote:
nimh wrote: