Republicans forgot Gingrich used "Plantation" before Hillary

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:52 pm
parados wrote:
I don't see you making that same argument when all those on the right defend Bush by saying "Clinton did it." You seem to have a glaring double standard.
While I agree that all comments on her comments are the mountains from molehills, this is still a nonsensical argument. "Clinton did it" is frequently a sound rebuttal, reason or even excuse for Bush depending on the context.

parados wrote:
Isn't what Clinton did years ago irrelevant and can't be used to justify Bush's actions today?
I'm not sure you could draw a more false conclusion. It could easily be argued that most of the biggest problems in the Bush presidency were inherited from his predecessor. It could certainly be argued some were, thereby making your assumption patently false.

That being said; I do think it absurd when people are offended on behalf of people who obviously weren't offended themselves... and it is kind of a strange thing to see that brand of PC finger pointing coming from the right. Think it through guys.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:15 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
parados wrote:
I don't see you making that same argument when all those on the right defend Bush by saying "Clinton did it." You seem to have a glaring double standard.
While I agree that all comments on her comments are the mountains from molehills, this is still a nonsensical argument. "Clinton did it" is frequently a sound rebuttal, reason or even excuse for Bush depending on the context.
So then you think the argument that "Gingrich did it" is a good rebuttal? Why didn't you mention that in this post? This is the "Gingrich did it too" thread.
Quote:

parados wrote:
Isn't what Clinton did years ago irrelevant and can't be used to justify Bush's actions today?
I'm not sure you could draw a more false conclusion. It could easily be argued that most of the biggest problems in the Bush presidency were inherited from his predecessor. It could certainly be argued some were, thereby making your assumption patently false.
There is a pretty big difference between "Clinton CAUSED it" and "Clinton DID it too" If Clinton did it is not really a valid reason for Bush to do it.

Quote:
That being said; I do think it absurd when people are offended on behalf of people who obviously weren't offended themselves... and it is kind of a strange thing to see that brand of PC finger pointing coming from the right. Think it through guys.
My favorite was a local department store had a Christmas display up with animated figures. The scene was a bunch of kids and Santa. A white couple from the suburbs got all upset because the display had a black child pulling Santa on a sled. They felt it was demeaning to blacks. The store painted the child white so they wouldn't be offended any more.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 11:07 pm
parados wrote:
So then you think the argument that "Gingrich did it" is a good rebuttal? Why didn't you mention that in this post? This is the "Gingrich did it too" thread.
Didn't I? It is a matter of context. If you were trying to demonstrate hypocrisy; well done. If you are trying to defend Hillary with that, you've accomplished nothing. I doubt even Hillary would be terribly flattered to learn that those defending her were comparing her to Newt to accomplish it. A poster child for likeability he isn't. Further, any comparison between a sitting President along with his predecessor and these two wannabee's (and likely never will be's) remains invalid for the reasons I stated.

parados wrote:
There is a pretty big difference between "Clinton CAUSED it" and "Clinton DID it too" If Clinton did it is not really a valid reason for Bush to do it.
I haven't, nor would I comment on the accuracy of that conclusion without knowing what "it" is. Your distinction is correct, but addresses no point I made so I'm not sure why you bring it up. The statement below will remain patently false until you retract it. :wink:
parados wrote:
No. Case closed.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 01:37 am
good to see ya back, bill !

always enjoyed our honking sessions.

hope ya remembered to pack your warmies for the move. :wink:
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 09:19 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:

The statement below will remain patently false until you retract it. :wink:
parados wrote:
No. Case closed.
Only if you remove the sentence completly from its context. Put it IN context and it is very true.

The context is using the "Clinton did it too" reason. The statement in context is not meant to imply anything that Clinton caused.

Please cite one example that would be a good reason to use the excuse "Clinton did it too" and no better reason could be used. Bush does a lot of things that Clinton did but not because Clinton did them. Rather it is because it is part of being President.

The case is wide open.. :wink:

And welcome back Bill. The restaurant business slow for the winter?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 12:11 pm
Example 1. Since Clinton largely ignored Saddam at the end of his Presidency, Bush did too at the beginning of his. Presidents set precedents that take time to change. (Note, Clinton didn't cause this and there is no better explanation... even though that "no better explanation" stuff is a transparent attempt to move the goal line further anyway. :wink:)

Thanks for the welcome backs guys. Yes, this is the slow season.
0 Replies

chichan

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 10:48 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Example 1. Since Clinton largely ignored Saddam at the end of his Presidency, Bush did too at the beginning of his. Presidents set precedents that take time to change.

Me thinks you're taking more than a few liberties with the truth here, OB.

Quote:

Clinton Ignored 9/11 Warning

By Dick Morris
FrontPageMagazine.com | September 19, 2005

The recent publication of some once-censored parts of the 9/11 Commission report reveals that, in 1998, federal intelligence sources had shared their concern that al-Qaeda could be planning to use passenger airplanes as missiles on suicide raids against prominent targets in the United States. This is the first time we've heard that that the possibility of such a suicide mission was raised at the federal level during the Clinton years.

[continued at, ]

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=19525

Quote:

Excerpt from:
Al Franken's book: Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them

Bill Clinton's far-reaching plan to eliminate al Qaeda root and branch was completed only a few weeks before the inauguration of George W. Bush. If it had been implemented then, a former senior Clinton aide told Time, we would be handing [the Bush Administration] a war when they took office." Instead, Clinton and company decided to turn over the plan to the Bush administration to carry out. Clinton trusted Bush to protect America. This proved, nine months later, to be a disastrous mistake - perhaps the biggest one Clinton ever made.

[continued at, ]

http://www.avatara.com/operationignore0.html
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 09:27 am
One question,which is sort of a side point.

Why does the left say 9 months for Bush,as in..."This proved, nine months later,"?
The President gets sworn in on Jan 20.
Until he takes the oath,he has no power to implement or do anything.

Now,Sept 11 actually happened less then 8 months after he was sworn in.
Granted,thats a small point,but I wonder why the left constantly uses the figure of 9 months.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 03:04 pm
mysteryman wrote:
One question,which is sort of a side point.

Why does the left say 9 months for Bush,as in..."This proved, nine months later,"?
The President gets sworn in on Jan 20.
Until he takes the oath,he has no power to implement or do anything.

Now,Sept 11 actually happened less then 8 months after he was sworn in.
Granted,thats a small point,but I wonder why the left constantly uses the figure of 9 months.

dunno, mystery.

but what has been told to us is that president bush put vice president cheney in charge of the anti-terrorism task force in the beginning of february 2001. yet the task force held no meetings until mid or late august that year.

also, and i just remembered this; wasn't there some sort of flap about how the new bush administration was doing the super gear up so that they would hit the ground running on january 20 ?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 03:30 pm
Quote:
wasn't there some sort of flap about how the new bush administration was doing the super gear up so that they would hit the ground running on january 20 ?

There might have been,to be honest I dont remember.
But still,why is the left adding a full month and more when they talk about how long Bush had to do anything.
It actually happened 9 days short of 8 months after he was sworn in.

Like I said,its a small point,but something I have always wondered.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 03:58 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Quote:
wasn't there some sort of flap about how the new bush administration was doing the super gear up so that they would hit the ground running on january 20 ?

But still,why is the left adding a full month and more when they talk about how long Bush had to do anything.

Hey MM.. tell us why the Right always tells us Clinton had 8 years to get Bin Laden.

Shouldn't the 4-5 year difference there be as relevent as the 1 month in the case of Bush? I am all for accuracy. But if you want to complain then complain about both sides.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 05:35 pm
parados wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Quote:

Hey MM.. tell us why the Right always tells us Clinton had 8 years to get Bin Laden.

Shouldn't the 4-5 year difference there be as relevent as the 1 month in the case of Bush? I am all for accuracy. But if you want to complain then complain about both sides.

Lets see,he was sworn in on Jan 20,1992 and was president till Jan 20,2001.
That makes 9 years.

So,your right,8 years is wrong,it should be 9.
0 Replies