Republicans forgot Gingrich used "Plantation" before Hillary

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 12:31 pm
Republican Newt Gingrich, when he was running for Speaker of the House, included in one of his speaches that he was leading a "slave rebellion" against the Democrats who "run the plantation." It's on video tape for the partisan doubters.---BBB

Flap Over Clinton Remark Is Example of Synthetic Shock Syndrome
John Leo

Hillary Clinton said the House of Representatives is being run like a plantation. For some reason, her comment is being treated as a big story, linking Republicans to slavery. "The use of the term plantation is foolish and my guess is that she will live to regret this," said human quote machine Larry Sabato, who teaches at the University of Virginia during those rare moments when he is not dreaming up quotes for needy reporters.

Well, maybe, Larry. Perhaps it wasn't the ideal comment for a Martin Luther King Day appearance at a black church. But is the word "plantation" politically out of bounds? If so, dozens of Republicans would be hauled into the dock for congratulating Condoleeza Rice and various conservative blacks for "leaving the liberal plantation."

The mini-flap over Hillary is an example of Synthetic Shock Syndrome (SSS). The classic example of this persistent ailment came years ago when Democratic senate candidate Bob Abrams called New York Senator Al D'Amato a fascist. Adroitly applying the core principles of SSS, D'Amato immediately accused Abrams of an anti-Italian smear, since everybody knows that fascism was a gift to the world from Benito Mussolini. Unable to cope with the implausible but fast-moving D'Amato, Abrams suffered some real political damage. Al Sharpton acomplished even more for SSS admirers after an attorney charged that the Rev. Al's demonstrations in Albany were a circus. Sharpton said, "To call something a circus is to imply the participants are animals," thoughtfully adding the comment that black demonstrators should not be referred to as beasts. Advantage Sharpton. Even Bill Clinton provoked a case of SSS once, urging both sides in Northern Ireland's peace talks to "belly up to the bar," which was, of course, quickly denounced as a slur on Irish drinking habits. A spokesman for the Irish embassy in Washington had a deadpan response: Clinton must have been referring to the judicial bar. Yes, and Hillary was referring to a cotton-raising settlement owned and run by blacks. Can we move on?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,085 • Replies: 31
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 12:50 pm
And that justifies her racist remark how???
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 01:02 pm
I just looked up the word "plantation" in the American Heritage College Dictionary. Nowhere do I find references to race or slavery. A plantation is "an area under cultivation" and may be tended by "resident workers."

But nice try, woiyo!
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 01:29 pm
I don't see any racism there at all. It's not like she called anyone Oreos (we don't have oreos here, but I gather its a cookie of some sort?) or Bananas (Chinese people born in "white" communities and who "act Western") or chocolate.

Come to think of it, what is the obsession with labelling different racial groups with foods?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 01:36 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
I just looked up the word "plantation" in the American Heritage College Dictionary. Nowhere do I find references to race or slavery. A plantation is "an area under cultivation" and may be tended by "resident workers."

But nice try, woiyo!

The way she used that racist comparison would not be found in the dictioneryand "You know what I mean?"
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 01:38 pm
An Oreo is a cookie with a creamy filling sandwiched by two chocolate wafers. Term was used, mainly in the black power days, to make fun of a black person considered not militant enough.

Good question, Wolf, re use of foods to label racial groups!
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 03:50 pm
woiyo wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:

But nice try, woiyo!

The way she used that racist comparison would not be found in the dictioneryand "You know what I mean?"

and was newty's ?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 04:06 pm
woiyo wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:

But nice try, woiyo!

Did you read the whole column, woiyo, or just the first sentence? The columnist refers to "synthetic shock syndrome" -- where the complainer imagines an insult never existed. Sounds like you have that problem.
0 Replies

chichan

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 06:26 pm
woiyo wrote:
And that justifies her racist remark how???

Quote:
Speaking to a group of Hurricane Katrina evacuees in the audience, Clinton offered an apology "on behalf of a government that left you behind, that turned its back on you." Her remarks were met with thunderous applause.

"We have a culture of corruption, we have cronyism, we have incompetence," she said. "I predict to you that this administration will go down in history as one of the worst that has ever governed our country."

The Rev. Al Sharpton, who organized the Monday event, said Clinton's comments were important to her primarily black audience.

"It was significant to us that she did it at our forum on Martin Luther King Day and in many ways said what a lot of us have been saying a long time about the Bush administration," Sharpton said.

"Ground control to Major Tom"
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:06 am
D'artagnan wrote:
woiyo wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:

But nice try, woiyo!

Did you read the whole column, woiyo, or just the first sentence? The columnist refers to "synthetic shock syndrome" -- where the complainer imagines an insult never existed. Sounds like you have that problem.

there are thousands of words in the English language. She mada a decision to use a racist phrase to support her position that the House of Reps is being run in a manner she does not agree with.

There are many other words she could have used, but she decided to use the phrase RUN LIKE A PLANTATION.

She did so, IMO, for one of 2 reasons:
1. She is trying to instigate racism
2. She felt her audience was not smart enough to understand any other phrase.

I think the answer is number 2.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:45 am
woiyo,

Did you bother to read the topic?

Gingrich used the word "plantation" when he spoke to the GOP
does that mean he -

Quote:
did so, IMO, for one of 2 reasons:
1. He is trying to instigate racism
2. He felt his audience was not smart enough to understand any other phrase.

Either answer leaves a much larger black eye on the GOP.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:48 am
And when Newt used that word,he was hammered by the left for using such a racist comment.
He was accused of being insensitive.

So why is it ok for Hillary to use the same term?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:59 am
parados wrote:
woiyo,

Did you bother to read the topic?

Gingrich used the word "plantation" when he spoke to the GOP
does that mean he -

Quote:
did so, IMO, for one of 2 reasons:
1. He is trying to instigate racism
2. He felt his audience was not smart enough to understand any other phrase.

Either answer leaves a much larger black eye on the GOP.

Your talking about ancient history about one who no longer serves this Nation.

Clinton is a potential candidate for Pres and a current member of the US Congress. What she says today is relevant.

What anyone said years ago is irrelevant and can not be used to justify her behavior today.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:19 am
Funny woiyo...

I don't see you making that same argument when all those on the right defend Bush by saying "Clinton did it." You seem to have a glaring double standard.

Isn't what Clinton did years ago irrelevant and can't be used to justify Bush's actions today?

You can't dismiss the statement by Gingrich so handily since the topic TITLE includes Gingrich. This topic is to obviously to discuss Hilary vs Gingrich.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:08 am
parados wrote:
Funny woiyo...

I don't see you making that same argument when all those on the right defend Bush by saying "Clinton did it." You seem to have a glaring double standard.

Isn't what Clinton did years ago irrelevant and can't be used to justify Bush's actions today?

You can't dismiss the statement by Gingrich so handily since the topic TITLE includes Gingrich. This topic is to obviously to discuss Hilary vs Gingrich.

I'm not so "unique" as compared to "those on the right" as you say.

ALL Politicians are whores IMO and they will say and do ANYTHING to retain their percieved position of power. Gingrich is one of those whores who got what he deserved and is now trying to SAY and DO ANYTHING to get back in.

Just because one a-hole says something way back when, will never justify another using the same "strategy" later.

If she had a all white audience, do you think she would have used the same phrase to support her thesis?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:41 am
OMG! Not another "Newt did it too so it must be OK thread"!?

Can't you guys forget about the past and just concentrate on what's happening now with Hillary's blatant racist views?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 11:03 am
McGentrix wrote:

Can't you guys forget about the past and just concentrate on what's happening now with Hillary's blatant racist views?

We will have to save this one for McG next time he brings up Clinton.. Laughing
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 01:17 pm
in the words of the immortal bard;

"I clearly fascinate them," Gingrich said of the Democrats. "I'm much more intense, much more persistent, much more willing to take risks to get it done. Since they think it is their job to run the plantation, it shocks them that I'm actually willing to lead the slave rebellion."

[Washington Post, 10/20/94]
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 01:20 pm
parados wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

We will have to save this one for McG next time he brings up Clinton.. Laughing

Always gotta bring up Clinton, huh? Laughing
0 Replies

chichan

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:10 pm
woiyo wrote:
there are thousands of words in the English language. She mada a decision to use a racist phrase to support her position that the House of Reps is being run in a manner she does not agree with.

There are quite a few more than thousands, Woiyo. Did you mean to limit this to the extent of your vocabulary?

Did you notice the quotes from the article before you started/continued on your rant?

Quote:
"Her remarks were met with thunderous applause."

Quote:
"We have a culture of corruption, we have cronyism, we have incompetence," she said. "I predict to you that this administration will go down in history as one of the worst that has ever governed our country."

Quote:
The Rev. Al Sharpton, [who is BLACK] who organized the Monday event, said Clinton's comments were important to her primarily black audience.

Quote:

"It was significant to us that she did it at our forum on Martin Luther King Day and in many ways said what a lot of us have been saying a long time about the Bush administration," Sharpton said.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Even full in the face of contradictory information you can weave tall tales with an aplomb that easily matches that little shill, Scottie what's his face.

This is what shocks so many honest folks, the bald faced lying that repubs are so good at. It tricks the more gullible into thinking there must be some truth to what is said.

What Hilary Clinton said bears repeating;

Quote:
0 Replies