HANGING GARDENS OF BABYLON WERE NOT IN BABYLON!

Badboy

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 07:49 am
A n archaeologist has claimed they built in Nineveh by Sennarchib(sp?) not in Babylon by Nebuzzenarr(sp?)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 906 • Replies: 14
No top replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 07:51 am
as far as i know remnants are still to be seen in today's Baghdad.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 07:52 am
well, unless we're speaking of two different hanging gardens. I mean the Semiramis' hanging gardens, but i reckon it must be the same- one of the seven marvels of the world.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 07:53 am
Who when where?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 08:01 am
Semiramis was Assyrian, i don't think she has anything to do with what was considered one of the wonders of the ancient world.

I'm with Walter, too vague . . .
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 08:05 am
hmmm, that's what i was taught in primary school - that Hanging gardens of Semiramis were one of the seven wonders of the world.... gotta look it up. i mean, primary school wasn't exactly yesterday.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 08:11 am
dagmaraka wrote:
hmmm, that's what i was taught in primary school - that Hanging gardens of Semiramis were one of the seven wonders of the world.... gotta look it up. i mean, primary school wasn't exactly yesterday.

obviously you did not attend primary school in the USA, where the most complicated thing our primary students learn is where their nap mats go and how to leave the cafeteria in single file. Laughing
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 08:15 am
mmmm no. i had to know capital cities in the whole world, principles of archimedean physics, the entire Mendelejev's table of elements and great many more things I've long forgotten since.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 08:17 am
YESSSSSS! i do indeed remeber something.

From wikipedia:

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon (also known as the Hanging Gardens of Semiramis) and the walls of Babylon (present-day Iraq) were considered one of the Seven Wonders of the World. They were both supposedly built by Nebuchadnezzar II around 600 BC .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 08:18 am
I wonder why they attributed them to Semiramis? I missed that one altogether.
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 08:55 am
The idea that the Hanging gardens were in Babylon appears to be based on a understanding of the book of Judith by Josephus,where it correctly says the right king(Sennaechib)(He besieghed Hezekiah in Jerusalem),but gives wrong place.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 09:28 am
That I've no idea about, Set.

I believe there are still remnants of the garden and the wall in Baghdad that one can see, isn't it so?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 09:38 am
Well, i see now why she is associated with Babylon, having read this page at About-dot-com's women's history section. I had always known her from the Greek legends, in no account of which i had ever read about here marrying the "King" of Babylon, and having him executed. I had simply known her as the widow of the Assyrian ruler of Nineveh who made a name for herself as an effective ruler while regent for her son--successfully defeating invasions and increasing the size of her son's patrimony. I am awfully suspicious of this account (the one i've linked) as having been a good deal of embroidery on someone's part.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 09:46 am
The source i find repeatedly referred to is Diodorus Siculus, not a well-thought of ancient historian. The kindest description of him which i found reads:

UNRV History wrote:
Diodorus Siculus was a Sicilian Greek historian who lived from 90 to 21 BC. He wrote, a world history in 40 books, ending it near the time of his death with Caesar's Gallic Wars. Fully preserved are Books I-V and XI-XX, which cover Egyptian, Mesopotamian, Indian, Scythian, Arabian, and North African history and parts of Greek and Roman history. His histories, while not considered great scholarly material in their own right, borrowed heavily from other writers whose works are now lost. In this regard, Siculus is valuable as a historical record for those writers who came before him.

I am completely unfamiliar with "UNRV History," which seems to be dedicated to ancient history. One might think it a university site, but there is no "about us" link, and it does not have the file extension "edu," which is characteristic of university web sites. Qui said? Tant pis . . .
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 09:51 am
Byron could NOT be wrong, badboy:

Byron
The Destruction Of Sennacherib
Poem lyrics of The Destruction Of Sennacherib by George Gordon, Lord Byron.
The Assyrian came down like the wolf on the fold,
And his cohorts were gleaming in purple and gold;
And the sheen of their spears was like stars on the sea,
When the blue wave rolls nightly on deep Galilee.
Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he pass'd,
And the eyes of the sleepers wax'd deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
And there lay the steed with his nostril all wide,
But through it there roll'd not the breath of his pride;
And the foam of his gasping lay white on the turf,
And cold as the spray of the rock-beating surf.

And there lay the rider distorted and pale,
With the dew on his brow, and the rust on his mail:
And the tents were all silent, the banners alone,
The lances unlifted, the trumpets unblown.
And the widows of Ashur are loud in their wail,
And the idols are broke in the temple of Baal;
And the might of the Gentile, unsmote by the sword,
Hath melted like snow in the glance of the Lord!

Sorry, I LOVE that poem
0 Replies