Ohio City gets first legal beer since 1875

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 10:31 am
City gets first legal beer since 1875

(1/13/06 - WESTERVILLE, OH) - This central Ohio city, once known as the "dry capital of the world," is dry no more.

A pizza parlor on Thursday became the first establishment in Westerville's uptown business district to legally serve a beer since 1875.

"Here's to a new tradition in Westerville," local jeweler Bill Morgan said as he raised his plastic cup of Budweiser at Michael's Pizza.

Westerville's temperance history dates back 131 years, when the town's saloon was blown up during what's known as the "Whiskey Wars."

The Anti-Saloon League moved its headquarters to Westerville in 1909, and the city became known as the "dry capital of the world."

Business and city leaders pushed for the serving of alcohol in uptown establishments as a way to compete with restaurants and bars at two new retail developments near the Columbus suburb.

Voters on Nov. 8 approved licenses for beer and wine to be sold at Michael's Pizza and Pasquale's Pizza & Pasta, whose owner plans to start serving libations Feb. 1.

The night of the election, Michael's Pizza owner Michael Evans said he would auction off the first beer, with the proceeds going to a local ministry.

Morgan, whose family has lived in Westerville for four generations, topped five other bidders to win the beer for $150.

"My dad said it would never happen," Morgan, 51, said as he prepared to drink the beer.

Voters in a portion of Westerville approved licenses to sell alcohol in 1998, but uptown had remained dry.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 510 • Replies: 5
No top replies

KetchupLady

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:25 am
I went to college in a dry town - though most of hte restaurants had a bar or corking fees/BYOB. Ever see those old laws that are still in effect (but not enforced?), I see them sometimes in magazines, can't remember any now, but they are absurd!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:27 am
ketchup
KetchupLady wrote:
I went to college in a dry town - though most of hte restaurants had a bar or corking fees/BYOB. Ever see those old laws that are still in effect (but not enforced?), I see them sometimes in magazines, can't remember any now, but they are absurd!

Where would that dry town be?

BBB Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:29 am
Westerville, I've been there! No idea it was dry, wow.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:31 am
BBB
sozobe wrote:
Westerville, I've been there! No idea it was dry, wow.

http://www.westerville.org/
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:32 am
Well, now I know...! ;-)
0 Replies