0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 08:12 am
You don't understand that!!!!??????

Sheesh.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 08:35 am
Perhaps we do, but don't understand why you said it.

Stradee, I can't even begin to imagine an image 5,000 times higher in resolution. It is gorgeous.

WIll go click now.

Mag -I created an icon direct link to the clicking page by right clicking on the page, and then clicking on save shortcut to desktop.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:02 am
sumac-

It was a gentle hint that you can't preach this planet saving stuff unless you live it first.It is just too easy to preach and too tempting.When you finish preaching you can't go jumping on a jet plane or into an SUV and down to the shops for another pile of stuff and its packaging.You have to live the simple life like me.And even I am too ashamed of what I do to preach.
When you are trying to look like a goodie-goodie you can't go being a baddy-baddy just because you feel like having a rest from being a goodie-goodie.Unless,of course,you like being laughed at.
There are few things dafter than a save the planet preacher whon goes right out an lends a hand in its destruction.

Does that explain it more simply.

You are sat on your cellulite when you're preaching aren't you?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:06 am
sumac-

One of the things that's just as daft is sitting in a traffic jam complaining about there being too many cars on the road.I hear a version of that at least once a week.Twice a week in summer.Maybe more.
I always laugh.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:07 am
Have a great earthturn, WildClickers!
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:20 am
Got it now, spendius.

And I could do a great deal more, and don't. Point taken.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:03 am
Hey, some great links..... thanks all.

Stradee, what an absolutely great photo. I just love the digitalness (new word) of the recent line of cameras. I heard two camera manufacturing companies are stopping making film cameras. Film apparently is going the way of the old 8 track cassette, the 6" floppy disk and more recently the 1.4 mb floppy disk.

Magginkat - try this. After bringing up the Rainforest Page you want - just click the tiny box by the X in the upper right corner of your screen - this makes the page a little smaller so you can see your desktop - then place your cursor on the little symbol just to the right of the word 'address' in the address box toward the top of your page - left click on that symbol and hold the click down while you drag the symbol over to your desktop. Then release the click and walla you have the icon on your desktop. Hope this helps.

All clicked
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 01:47 pm
Dan and Sue, did you check the Hubble link? There's a feature where you can see just portions of the photo with and ajust the definition.
An excellent feature.

Happy Earthturn to you too, ehBeth!
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 01:49 pm
Thanks Danon,

I knew it was something so simple that I could not possibly forget but did!

Beautiful picture of Orion Nebula, Stradee
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 01:56 pm
Interesting links of the day:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/01/0120_060120_volcanoes.html?source=rss

1. Kìlauea, Hawaii
2. Mount St. Helens, Washington State
3. Mount Rainier, Washington State
4. Mount Hood, Oregon
5. Mount Shasta, California
6. South Sister, Oregon
7. Lassen Volcanic Center, California
8. Mauna Loa, Hawaii
9. Redoubt Volcano, Alaska
10. Crater Lake area, Oregon
11. Mount Baker, Washington State
12. Glacier Peak, Washington State
13. Makushin Volcano, Alaska
14. Akutan Island, Alaska
15. Mount Spurr, Alaska
16. Long Valley caldera, California
17. Newberry Crater, Oregon
18. Augustine Island, Alaska

18 most dangerous, in descending order. Article is fascinating, with good links to other major photo sites on volcanoes. I had never heard of a lot of these volcanoes.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 01:57 pm
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 02:35 pm
Man, that O'Brion is one handsome dude. I'll bet those three stars in his belt are billions of light years apart. Thanks for the fabulous photo.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 03:47 pm
<tap tap tap>

1967, Miss Wayfarer!

~~~~~~~~~~

Just came from the dentist. The freezing they give now is so much more potent than what I recall of 30+ years ago. Just a lil bit, and I'm working on being able to spit again. How attractive Confused

~~~~~~~~~~

I'll be leaving for dinner and a pre-concert lecture shortly.

The concert will be a Tafelmusik performance ...

Quote:
Explore the rich and passionate tradition of string chamber music from Austria and Germany. A concert of musical gems direct from a recent Tafelmusik tour to Germany, where this soulful chamber music of Buxtehude, Biber and Schmelzer warmed hearts and captivated audiences. Featuring the silvery tones of the viola da gamba, lute, harpsichord and strings, and Tafelmusik's own Thomas Georgi on the viola d'amore: "a distinctive kind of fiddle which sounds especially charming in the stillness of the evening" (Leopold Mozart, 1756).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

aktbird57 - You and your 286 friends have supported 2,198,471.6 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 94,510.5 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 286 friends have supported: (94,510.5)

American Prairie habitat supported: 46,675.8 square feet.
You have supported: (11,424.0)
Your 286 friends have supported: (35,251.8)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,057,285.2 square feet.
You have supported: (168,215.5)
Your 286 friends have supported: (1,889,069.7)

~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1348 50.469 acres
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:16 pm
Stradee, that is magnificent. I didn't actually manipulate the controls but just looked at the image. Amazing.

Here is a pic I just now took of my 'flash' card unit from USB. It's a 1 Gig unit. The thought of that still is stunning - but the volume just keeps growing and growing and growing usw (und so weiter = sort of 'so forth and so on' sort of thing in German)

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/9080/usbdrive014le.jpg

The older I get the more I think of the "old" book entitled - 'Future Shock' by A Toffler.

Things are moving way too fast.

Compared with my grandfather - who, born in 1894, was associated with horses and primitive steam locomotives as the forefront of communication. Then he experienced radio, the first airplane flight, the first American automobiles, the first telephones, the expansion of electrical lighting, two world wars, a police action in Korea, Vietnam, the beginnings of computers, the development of computers in Basic Language, the landing of a man on the Moon and last but not least the fight between Microsoft and Apple for the Brass Ring. He passed away in 1989. His generation surely experienced the most change in human history of any in the past.

Stuff is really changing fast these days.

-------

Oh, by the way, the 'sticky note' with the ROTC logo on it was made by my office during the last few years before I retired in 1986. I served in the headquarters of the Fourth ROTC Region located at Fort Lewis, WA from 1982 to '86 and was the Advertising and Recruiting Staff Officer for the 17 Western states as well as American Samoa. During that time I developed the emblem that became and still is the ROTC shoulder patch that you see on the sticky note. True story.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:11 pm
Dan, can you just imagine what our great grandchildren will see in the way of innovations? They'll look back on the beginning of the 21st Century in the same way we viewed our grandparents and great grandparents lives!

They'll probably be looking at the Orion Nebula from a spacecraft - visiting planets we can only view now with the most wonderful Hubble technology.

I don't own a digital camera, but after viewing your photo <the terrific clairity, colors, etc.> In the words of Will Smith from the movie "Independence Day" when he pilots the ufo spaceship..."Im gonna haveta get me onea these!" What a great day that will be when people can view space - from space!
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:37 pm
Mmmmm, You betcha Stradee. I am sort of glad things are moving so fast - only because I'll be able to see more of those changes before my time is gone. Otherwise, it's really pushing on way too fast the older I get. Reminds me of the fact of life = there is no such thing as time in universal terms. Only a coincidental progression of events in the universe. Time, as we think of it was a human invention - mostly to stop train wrecks during the late 1800's.

My camera is an Olympus Stylus 300 - it was obsolete the minute I bought it. There are sooooo many better cameras out there now - HP is selling a really good one which is not expensive. If you are in the market, you should Google for the best buy.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 12:29 am
You've explained 'time' very well, Dan, thanks.

I'll check the net when ready to purchase a digital camera. Seems technology moves a lot faster than my paycheck! <girn>

Here's what i found when i googled "who invented 'time'"

Question:

Scientists, and Physicists of all types claim that time exists. Exist, meaning that there is a"physical" factor called time, and that it plays an integral part in the happenings within the universe. BUT, do you think that
time is actually a "real force" (i.e. "Actual phenomena") or that
we simply invented time to put a reference on the passage of events?

Answer:

Another good question for a different section: Physics.
Time appears in equations just like position does ---
time is a coordinate system. Do x, y, and z "exist"?
It's all relative, as Albert would say.

Work tomorrow, and i'm certain, without a doubt, corporations invented time...
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 12:33 am
sumac, thanks for the good articles!
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 06:29 am
I remember "Future Shock", but didn't read it. Yes, our grandparents experienced so much change. I wonder if we will also, in relative terms.

And time is a fascinating concept - probably man made in my opinion, but what do I know?

ehBeth - fascinating concert. I've not heard of any of those composers. Hope you didn't spit during the lecture.
0 Replies