67 times around - and once there was a world's fair

sumac

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 07:23 am
Yeah, that skull business is fascinating.

Morning all.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/13/AR2006021302048.html?referrer=email&referrer=email

"Ready to Test Their Wings?
U.S. Plans to Remove Bald Eagles From the List of Threatened Species

By Rick Weiss
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 14, 2006; Page A03

Declaring victory in the decades-long effort to save the bald eagle from extinction, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said yesterday it would revive a stalled effort to remove the majestic avian predator from the federal list of endangered and threatened species."
0 Replies

ul

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:22 am
Happy Valentine to the Wildclickers!
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 09:44 am
And happy dark chocolate to you too, Ul.

Danon,

Regarding our earlier discussion:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/12/AR2006021200730.html?referrer=email&referrer=email&referrer=email

"Carlyle has deep roots in the defense sector, dating to the days when former president George H.W. Bush, former British prime minister John Major and former U.S. defense secretary Frank Carlucci held senior advisory or executive positions. "

"Carlyle Shows It's Still Tops In Defense
Investment in Qinetiq Pays Off Handsomely

By Terence O'Hara
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, February 13, 2006; Page D01

When British government officials decided to spin off the country's secret Ministry of Defense lab, their aim was to make the resulting company, Qinetiq PLC, into a lean-and-mean player in the commercial technology world.

But that was before District-based investment firm Carlyle Group hitched Qinetiq's wagon to the exploding U.S. defense market two years ago, turning a group of former British civil servants into the latest defense technology darling. Qinetiq went public on Friday in Britain, and the initial results indicate that Carlyle earned more than half a billion dollars from an initial investment of about $73 million, an eightfold return in three years that further cements its reputation as a savvy trader in the defense world"
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 09:46 am
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 11:14 am
Happy Valentines Day Wildclickers!!

http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/valentine-htm/valentine/images/hearts/val136.gif
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 03:16 pm
Happy Valentines Day to you too, Stradee.

And a Happy Valentines Day to all good Wildclickers.......

all clicked....

sumac, I know what you mean re the Bush budget - if that's what you could call it. It is already trying to hit home with me and all veterans who actually were involved in our national defense - not hiding like Bush did during Vietnam. He is trying to double our annual health care joining fee and the each visit copayment fees. He already took the federally run program and gave it to a civilian organization to run. That act in itself may have been the death toll for many good veterans.

What he is doing is criminal.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 05:56 pm
aktbird57 - You and your 289 friends have supported 2,236,354.6 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 98,631.3 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 289 friends have supported: (98,631.3)

American Prairie habitat supported: 47,893.3 square feet.
You have supported: (11,564.5)
Your 289 friends have supported: (36,328.8)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,089,830.0 square feet.
You have supported: (168,707.2)
Your 289 friends have supported: (1,921,122.8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 236 354.6 square foot = 51.339 637 282 acre
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 05:58 pm
Good evening troops. Very Happy Just here to click in.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 06:04 pm
Good to see ya, Amigo!

~~~~~~~~~~

I thought of getting a bouquet of spring flowers for the team, then decided on this ...

http://www.tobinfraley.com/Photography/RTNP/Spring/Meadow%20Walkway.jpg

Reed-Turner Woodland Photographic Project - Spring
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 07:36 pm
"To waste, to destroy our natural resources, to skin and exhaust the land instead of using it so as to increase its usefulness, will result in undermining in the days of our children the very prosperity which we ought by right to hand down to them amplified and developed."

- Theodore Roosevelt, Seventh Annual Message, December 3, 1907.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 08:17 am
Wonderful quote, amigo, and photo, stradee.

And yes, Danon, it is criminal.

Have clicked.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 01:31 pm
Three stories of note today. The first -

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/capital/index.ssf?/base/news-3/113998708880320.xml

"Coastal losses greater than thought
118 square miles lost, report says

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

By Matthew Brown
West Bank bureau

Southeast Louisiana's natural storm buffer took an unprecedented blow from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita that was even worse than previously reported, with 118 square miles of coastal marsh converted into open water, a new federal report says.

The extent of shredded wetlands, laid out in a U.S. Geological Survey report, is equivalent to more than 73,000 football fields, or almost twice the size of Washington, D.C."
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 01:36 pm
The second, and a really good and interesting article -

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/science/20060215-9999-lz1c15myth.html

"Fantastic tales may actually contain grains of geological truth

By Richard A. Lovett

UNION-TRIBUNE
February 15, 2006

As interpreted from the Bible, Noah's ark came to rest on Mount Ararat, now in eastern Turkey. Geologic evidence supports the idea of rising water 7,500 years ago in the Bosporus Strait.

History changed by geological events

Long ago, according to Indian legends of the inland Pacific Northwest, the twin sons of the Chief Spirit, Wyeast and Pahto, dwelt on opposite sides of the river now known as the Columbia. Mostly, they lived in peace, but occasionally they fought for the attention of a beautiful maiden known as Tah-one-lat-clah.

In the heat of combat, they hurled rocks and fire at each other, scorching the land and frightening its residents until the Chief Spirit came back to restore order. As a sign of truce between the brothers, the Chief Spirit built a beautiful stone bridge across the river, not far below the site of today's Bonneville Dam near Portland.

Then he went away again, and soon enough, the brothers resumed their quarrel.

Tah-one-lat-clah tried to intervene but was severely burned in the fray. The bridge was destroyed, and the brothers, chagrined, withdrew to the locations where they remain today, as the mountains white explorers later called Adams and Hood.

Tah-one-lat-clah, now known as Mount St. Helens, also moved away, far from the other mountains. There she nursed her wounds, and there she remained, even after the Chief Spirit returned to heal her disfigurement.

It's a great story (probably somewhat Paul Bunyanized by white missionaries who collected it in the 19th century), but it's just a myth, right? A tale to entertain children and maybe teach a lesson about sibling rivalry?

Maybe not, say geologists."
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 01:37 pm
And the third -

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060215/NEWS02/602150306/1007/NEWS05

"Alewife invasion bad news for lake

Published: Wednesday, February 15, 2006
By Candace Page
Free Press Staff Writer

SOUTH BURLINGTON -- Researchers from New York and the Midwest drew a grim picture Tuesday of the wholesale ecological changes Lake Champlain might undergo with the arrival of the alewife, an invasive fish species.

At a daylong conference, they described:

Mass die-offs that left stinking piles of fish on Great Lakes beaches.

How an alewife invasion has negated all human attempts to prevent algae blooms in one of the Finger Lakes."
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 02:10 pm
There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed. ~Mohandas K. Gandhi

Stopping by to click in, Bye Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 06:31 pm
aktbird57 - You and your 289 friends have supported 2,237,806.2 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 98,818.6 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 289 friends have supported: (98,818.6)

American Prairie habitat supported: 47,916.8 square feet.
You have supported: (11,564.5)
Your 289 friends have supported: (36,352.2)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,091,070.9 square feet.
You have supported: (168,707.2)
Your 289 friends have supported: (1,922,363.7)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2237806.2 square feet is equal to 51.37 acres
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 07:23 pm
sumac,
Thanks for the great articles.
In 1977 I was assigned to the 9th Infantry Brigade at Fort Lewis, WA. The XO, on my first day there, asked what I wanted to do. I knew exactly what he was up to - but had my own wishes - so, I said, "I would like to go back into an aviation assignment as soon as possible." He looked at me over his desk sign that read, "MORE, BETTER, FASTER" and after a long pause said, "Ok, you will take over the office of Brigade Race Relations and Drug Abuse Officer for a year and I'll get you reassigned back to the Ft Lewis Operations Aviation Office." True to his word he did. But, I had a VERY interesting year. At one point, I arranged a huge Native American celebration at a large facility on the south side of post. When the evening began all was going well when a large group of Samoans arrived to make themselves known. I actually gathered them and we talked about the evening and they actually merged with the croud and enjoyed the celebration. Later, during some speech making by the post general some Native American activists began to make comments from the audience - then one of the activists - Ramona Bennett - started to come up on stage. The general who was speaking ran from the stage and disappeared. Ramona spoke about some stuff and then returned to her seat. After that the seating was cleared and the Native Americans started to dance in costume with drums into the night. A bit later Ramona was leaving so I escourted her to her auto - because the Samoans were all standing around the entrance. On the way to her car she said to me, "You really are straight, I thought you were just another ****-head like all the rest at first." Wow, what a compliment!!

And, then there was African American Appreciation Month. That was fun.

The '70's were growth years for us all in USA.

----------

All clicked for MAnMe
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 08:28 pm
Aha!!

I just had to come back and mention what actually happened today..............

VP Cheney had - finally - a public announcement of his involvement in the "gunshots at Anderson Ranch"...... The thing is = he restricted his announcement to """"FOX NEWS NETWORK""""

Remember my above post = the FOX News Network is run by George W. Bush's = COUSIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about keeping it all in the family!!!!!!

These guys are really good thanks to Herbert Walker Bush. He is the one running the show from the beginning. He is also the ONLY past president who STILL gets daily briefings from the CIA. The ONLY one in history. But, that goes along with his father - Dubbya's grandpa - actually being in on the beginning of the CIA following WWII - the reason was to keep tabs on the American Banking System.

Hmmm, it also goes along with Herbert Walkers involvement in the CIA from his beginning in the organization - at least the very early '60's...... He obviously had a hand in the "Bay of Pigs" in Cuba - ie., three of the ships which actually carried the Cubans to shore were named = 1. Houston. 2. Barbara. 3. Zapata - which was the name of Papa Bush's very first Oil Well company in Midland, Texas. That is the only not smart thing I know that Herbert Walker Bush ever did. His name is still listed on the CIA's employee list from that time - however, he says publically that it must have been another Herbert Walker Bush - not him. Duhhhh.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 09:37 pm
Here is a link to one of the many sites linking Ramona Bennett. The photo of her is in later years - she was young and vibrant when she 'plowed' into a young captain at Ft Lewis, Wa.

http://www.nwnativeinfo.com/ramonabennet.htm
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 02:00 am
ehBeth, beautiful photo and link info, and great quotes, Amigo!

sumac, good articles!

Dan, there was also a quote in Forbes from the woman that owns the hunting ranch - yadi yada - and what i can't figure out is how, with the amount of secret service folk skulking nearby, with mircrophones glued to thier ears, lost sight of Whittington? one of those 'hmmm' questions we'll never learn the truth about until Mr. Whittingtons skull becomes the property of the 'tomb' located at Deer Island in the St. Lawrence River.
Those people are seriously deranged.

http://www.ctrl.org/grafx/mASEfront.jpg
0 Replies