67 times around - and once there was a world's fair

ul

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 12:58 pm
Yes, it was a long and fascinating trip. Miles of rose fields along the streets in Bulgaria. They made rose oil- the area was filled with rose scent.
Dancing bears in the villages, it was like being in a time machine.
My first really heavy sunburn- a Bulgarian farmer told me to cut a fresh tomato and use the juice. The best medicine ever.

Canada is overdue- just waiting for the right opportunity.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 01:24 pm
In 1967 I was working at IBM at Data Processing HQ in White Plains, NY as a semi-glorified clerk (couldn't rise any higher as secretary with toddler in preschool). Was getting very antsy and bored and motivated enough to explore going back to college. I had only had one semester at that time. By Jan 1968 I was in Storrs, CT at the University of Connecticut.

Sorry to say, I have neither been to a World's Fair, or to Canada.

And I am getting very jealous of all of this double-clicking. Gotta go get me another account.

Ice skating is fun but I never got terribly good at it.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 01:29 pm
I don't remember when I first became aware of the environment.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 06:07 pm
Hey sumac! sounds like 1967 into 1968 was the start of a whole new life for you.

~~~~~~~~~

aktbird57 - You and your 286 friends have supported 2,195,638.5 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 94,182.7 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 286 friends have supported: (94,182.7)

American Prairie habitat supported: 46,558.8 square feet.
You have supported: (11,400.6)
Your 286 friends have supported: (35,158.1)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,054,897.0 square feet.
You have supported: (168,192.1)
Your 286 friends have supported: (1,886,704.9)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

2195638.5 square feet is equal to 50.40 acres
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 09:29 am
Morning all,

Clicked for MA Aa 'n Me......!!
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:08 am
"Mornin' all you interestin' peoples!
Sittin' here in the midst of winter staring at my Bora Bora background/screensaver!

Click!
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 11:00 am
Howdy widlclickers!

Just received this notification from Helen. Check it out...........

http://isawearthlings.com/about.html

Finally, an important documentary that should be seen by every human inhabiting the planet.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 12:28 pm
Hey dev, I'm sitting here in NE TX in summer temps thinking about having to start the lawn mower. Sometimes lifes just joking with ya. I think.

I will trade anyone twenty degrees outside temperature for a song...........!

Hmmmm, to heck with the song - you can HAVE the twenty degrees!!!!!
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 12:50 pm
Believe me, Dan, I'd rather be in Texas! If it wasn't for my family, friends & all, I'd have moved south (again) long ago!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 01:07 pm
Environmentalists flying around the world at the drop of a whim!!

What a load of bollocks.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 01:26 pm
Yup, ehBeth. Too bad that it eventually came to naught. But what a wonderful experience.

Stradee, that film does look powerful, and sad. What was the message from Helen, if we might ask. We never hear from her.

You can have Texas, both of you.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 02:11 pm
sumac, yep - and my hope is after people have viewed the movie, they will begin taking thier advocacy to the marketplace. Consumers have more power than they realize. See the first link photo of how foie gras 'processed' - animals forced fed. Factory farms are not only unhealthy for animals and humans - enviornmental hazards through the roof.

http://isawearthlings.com/index2.html

Here's Helens posting from the Defenders thread at aimoo Smile I had posted a photo of a newborn monkey who's mom had died during childbirth, then mentioned the breed of monkey used for unnecessary animal experimentation. Twisted Evil

Helen's reply...........

<onmymarc is me - Stradee>
All primates look so much like us, Onmymarc, that it's incredible to think of laboratory workers doing such horrendous experiments on them!

I'm still here, will be leaving for the Far East in February but don't have an exact date yet - can't post on internet sites from there - but I will take your kind wishes with me

Meanwhile everybody here please circulate this e-mail I got today to anyone you know in the vicinity of New York and pls look for this movie if it is scheduled to be shown in your area - it's free admission in Manhattan, probably in other places too:

A Groundbreaking Animal Rights Documentary

Thursday, Feb 9th at 8pm

Time's Up! Space at 49 East Houston Street , Manhattan (between Mott & Mulberry)

EARTHLINGS is an in-depth study of humanity's absolute dependence on animals (for pets, food, clothing, entertainment, and scientific research). The film is narrated by Academy Award nominee Joaquin Phoenix and features music by Moby.

EARTHLINGS uses hidden cameras and never-before-seen footage to chronicle the day-to-day practices of some of the largest industries in the world, all of which rely entirely on animals for profit.

For more information about the film see www.isawearthlings.com

This film depicts graphic abuse of animals.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 02:19 pm
Here are links to other studies, with tidbits to whet your appetite:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060120/hl_nm/birdflu_alaska_dc_2

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (Reuters) - Alaska, the resting spot for many migratory birds from Asia, will be the target of expanded tests to detect whether bird flu has reached North America, a government official said on Thursday.

Alaska is considered North America's most likely point of entry for the deadly H5N1 avian influenza, because it stands at a crossroads of wild waterfowl and shorebird migration to and from Asia.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/19/AR2006011900484.html?referrer=email

Mission to Retrieve Comet Samples Is Proclaimed a Success

By Guy Gugliotta
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, January 20, 2006; Page A07

Exultant scientists said yesterday that NASA's seven-year voyage to collect dust from a comet and bring it home had ended in complete success, with perhaps 1 million of the primordial particles gently entrapped in collection trays filled with gossamer spun glass.

"We thought maybe the collectors wouldn't open properly, or maybe they would be covered with gunk from the spacecraft," said NASA's Michael E. Zolensky, curator of the samples now ensconced at Houston's Johnson Space Center. "But we opened the tray, and everything went exactly right. It's fabulous."

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-01/nsf-icf011906.php

Increased competition for pollen may lead to plant extinctions
Loss of birds, bees and other pollinators places plants at risk
The decline of birds, bees and other pollinators in the world's most diverse ecosystems may be putting plants in those areas at risk, according to new research. The finding raises concern that more may have to be done to protect Earth's most biologically rich areas, scientists say in an article appearing in the Jan. 17 issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS).
The analysis shows that ecosystems with the largest number of different species, including the jungles of South America and Southeast Asia and the rich shrubland of South Africa, have bigger deficits in pollination compared to the less-diverse ecosystems of North America, Europe and Australia.

"The global pattern we observed suggests that plants in species-rich regions exhibit a greater reduction in fruit production due to insufficient pollination than plant species in regions of lower biodiversity," said Susan Mazer, a co-author of the article and a biologist at the University of California, Santa Barbara. She and her colleagues believe such biodiversity "hotspots" are characterized by stronger competition among plant species for pollinators, such that many plant species simply don't receive enough pollen to achieve maximum fruit and seed production.

"Many plants rely on insects and other pollen vectors to reproduce," said Jana Vamosi, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Calgary and co-author of the paper. "We've found that in areas where there is a lot of competition between individuals and between species, many plants aren't getting enough pollen to successfully reproduce. If plants can't survive, neither can animals. These biodiversity hotspots are important because they are where we most often find new sources of drugs and other important substances. They are also the areas where habitat is being destroyed the fastest."

The study analyzes 482 field experiments on 241 flowering plant species conducted since 1981. The research took several years to complete; all continents except Antarctica are represented.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=36305&nfid=rssfeeds

Study Finds Evolution Doesn't Always Favor Bigger Animals
Category: Biology/Biochemistry News
Article Date: 19 Jan 2006 - 4am (UK)

Biologists have long believed that bigger is better when it comes to body size, since many lineages of animals, from horses to dinosaurs, have evolved into larger species over time.

But a study published this week by two biologists at the University of California, San Diego in an early online edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences suggests that maxim, known as "Cope's Rule," may be only partly true.

The scientists found that populations of tiny crustaceans retrieved from deep-sea sediments over the past 40 million years grew bigger and evolved into larger species, as might be predicted from Cope's Rule. However, the changes in the sizes of these clam-like crustaceans commonly known as ostracodes --from the genus Poseidonamicus -- increased only when the global ocean temperature cooled. When temperatures remained stable, not much happened to body size.

"These data show a very nice correlation between temperature and body size," said Kaustuv Roy, a professor of biology at UCSD and a coauthor of the paper.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 03:33 pm
Watched The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill on the Documentary Channel last night. Wonderful.

http://www.wildparrotsfilm.com/
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 06:02 pm
At one time I had a link to the Rainforest site on my desktop. Does anyone remember where to find that. It was an icon that one could drag and drop to the desktop.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 06:03 pm
aww, ehBeth! just saw the trailer! marvelous!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 06:58 pm
aktbird57 - You and your 286 friends have supported 2,197,839.4 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 94,323.2 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 286 friends have supported: (94,323.2)

American Prairie habitat supported: 46,582.2 square feet.
You have supported: (11,400.6)
Your 286 friends have supported: (35,181.6)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,056,934.0 square feet.
You have supported: (168,215.5)
Your 286 friends have supported: (1,888,718.5)

~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1347 50.452 acres

~~~~~~~~

Haven't found your icon yet, Magginkat, but I'll look around a bit more.

~~~~~~~

Stradee, that film is very high on my "able to recommend" list. I've been wanting to see it for a while. I was sure glad to see it premier on the Documentary Channel.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 07:16 pm
You don't need all these fanciful excuses to sit on your cellulite all night do you?

Why do you think evolution provided you with a big layer of subcutaneous fat if it hadn't intended you to sit on it.The reason it's big is to make sure it doesn't wear out.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 07:40 pm
huh???
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 09:41 pm
Stradee wrote:
huh???

I'll echo that one Stradee...... "HUH"?
0 Replies