The US presence in Iraq, how long?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 10:51 am
Frank, We all know that the US is guilty of a whole lot of **** in international politics and war. To make things clear, I never supported the US war against Iraq. Now, let's get back to the question at hand; "It's one thing for France to be against any preemptive attack on Iraq, but quite another to share confidence with a tyrant like Saddam." What do you think? We are talking about the present. If you wish to make claims about how the US has mislead the world community to this preemptive strike against Iraq - that's fine. Don't assume I'm in support of the US policies. c.i.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 12:07 pm
Do we know for sure that France has done this? Aren't we just as sure (evidence exists) that the US most other countries do this all the time? Iraq is/was not France's enemy. Hell, it wasn't even our enemy until it became convenient to so name that friend-in-trade.

Our government has behaved so badly that there aren't many people left, here in the US and abroad, who actually believe them. Every "barrel containing chemicals," every scrap of document "found at the ministry" needs to be examined thoroughly by an independent, international group.

The pattern is emerging: we call someone enemy; we find "evidence" to support our claim, only we don't show that evidence "for security reasons." In first grade I'd already dealt with kids who did that sort of thing. I wonder if Jeb isn't sitting there down in Florida thinking, "Hey, ol' Georgie used to try to pull that stuff with me!"
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 12:51 pm
Tartar, Good point; we first need to 'verify' that France betrayed our trust and confidence, and we should wait for that verification. However, the question was posed as a "what if?" At what point does the US have the right to retaliate, and what is justified 'if' what was claimed by the Guardian is true? c.i.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 01:00 pm
ci,

What if? What if what? What is out of the ordinary? They think the war is unjustified and their actions support this. We do much more drastic things when we feel they are justified.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 01:00 pm
Quote:
...Another, dated September 25, 2001 from Naji Sabri, the Iraqi foreign minister, to Saddam's palace, was based on a briefing from the French ambassador in Baghdad and covered talks between presidents Jacques Chirac and George W Bush...

This is enough to prove treacherous behavior of France. If Mr. Bush considered it being necessary to inform Saddam on the contents of his talks with the French president, then Americans would inform Saddam themsleves. Any talks between statesmen of such a rank as Messrs. Bush and Chirac have confidential part that must not be transferred to the third party, and France deliberately did the latter thing. This was done not by some privately operating French pacifist, but by the official representative of the France in Iraq. France has abused the American trust, and it must pay for this heavy price.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 01:06 pm
Bull. Confidential talks are passed on all the time.

When the US tried to plant bugs in China's version of "Air Force One" China played nice, they didn't whine about treachery.

"See, it's not treacherous to do what we want but it's treacherous to do what we don't want."

Another item for the all time dumbest thinking list.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 02:38 pm
steissd

Any idea for the use of diplomats in foreign countries?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 03:03 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
When the US tried to plant bugs in China's version of "Air Force One" China played nice, they didn't whine about treachery.

This was not a treason. It was an espionage. PRC has never been America's ally, hence it cannot be betrayed by the USA.
Diplomats are used for representing interests of their countries; the French ambassador in Iraq could inform Mr. Hussein on position of his bosses ( the French Secretary of State and President), but Mr. Bush did not authorize the French ambassador to inform Saddam about American administration approach. French could, at least, ask American permission, if they considered it necessary doing this.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 03:12 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:

This certainly gives a new meaning to the word "confidential", doesn't it?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 03:12 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:

This certainly gives a new meaning to the word "confidential", doesn't it?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 03:19 pm
treachery is the baseline of All politics for every nation.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 04:18 pm
roger,

No it doesn't. Unless one is new to the world of geopolitics.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 04:41 pm
Let's put it this way: If the US believes it should act exclusively according to its own interests, why shouldn't France? or China? or South Africa? or Colombia? or Chile?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 04:43 pm
dys, I guess all nations must accept that any confidential information shared with allies can be transferred to a enemy without consequences. Boy, what a crazy world we live in. Since we do it and everybody else does it, don't expect anything to remain confidential. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 05:02 pm
Ci -- Most of the time diplomats are very careful and when they pass on information, no matter how "secret" it might seem, it is done deliberately. Intended leaks.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:07 am
http://csmonitor.com/2003/0502/csmimg/cartoon.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:15 am
LOL
0 Replies