Don't drink that tap water on an airplane

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:01 pm
Recent analysis of water in airplanes show high degrees of bacteria. It is recommended that people drink only bottled water when flying. From now on, that's what I'm doing. c.i.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,126 • Replies: 26
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 11:07 pm
Do you mean, like, drinking water from the tap in the bathroom? Or drinking the water they serve in cups?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 10:36 am
Sozobe, Sometimes, on very long flights, when they run out of bottled water, they use tap water to serve their passengers. You can usually tell, because when the soft drink cart comes throught the isle, they must 'open' a new bottle of water. To keep the guessing game out of your health, just drink bottled water you bring yourself. Sad c.i.
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 10:41 am
Eeek
But then I rarely drink water any where and hardly ever fly so I guess I am safe.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 10:45 am
JD, To maintain good health, you "should" be drinking about four glasses of (non-polluted) water every day. Smile
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 10:48 am
I Know
And I try to but after living in Colorado and S. Calif as a child where drinking water out of the tap was always a no no. I just never drink it unless it is bottled. I have bottled water but still forget to drink it.

Why are we supposed to drink water anyway, what is the advantage. The downside of course is spending all that time in the bathroom, well that is what happens to me anyway Shocked
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 11:01 am
JD, Water cleans out our system. It also has some necessary minerals. We live in Sunnyvale, CA, and the quality of our water here is very good! We drink both tap water and bottled water. Our water quality far exceeds federal guidelines, and we're able to get water analysis reports off the internet. c.i.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 11:03 am
BTW the 8 oz. a day thing has recently come into question.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 11:15 am
On planes, you get free beer!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 03:42 pm
Free beer!!!!

c.i. Colorado River water treated with so many chemicals you can smell them and a taste like rusty metal. No tap water in San Diego is suitable to drink.

Craven I read the same thing re drinking water. Humans get lots of minerals from fresh vegtables, fruit, meats, and seafood. Vitmins too. My preference is to eat balanced meals and avoid fads.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 03:47 pm
About those minerals, c.i. Have you heard of any problems associated with extensive use of water prepared by distillation or reverse osmosis. That's about all I drink, by the way.
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 05:15 pm
c.i.
Thanks for the info.
I never really thought about it, flying in US, but Bacteria make sense.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 09:58 pm
Craven, That's not 8 ozs a day. It's supposed to be eight glasses of water every day. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 09:59 pm
Roger, Some minerals from water is okay. Haven't you ever heard of drinking mineral water? Wink c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 04:51 pm
Just returned from a twelve night cruise to South America. On my flight to and from South America, I drank bottled water. I had to chuckle, because I bought bottled water in Argentina to drink on an American Airlines flight from Buenos Aires to Miami. Very Happy c.i.
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 05:19 pm
c.i.,
Was this cruise on a boat?
I've been reading all about the virii on cruise ships.
Now, Mayor Bloomberg plans to put the homeless on them in nyc.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 06:11 pm
jeanbean, Yes, it was on the Zenith of Celebrity Cruises. What in the world is a "virii?" c.i.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 06:33 pm
JoanneD - keeping hydrated can't really be called a fad.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 06:45 pm
click here for thousands and thousands of hits

google gives 494,000 hits on the benefits of drinking water. there is some debate on the amount needed. some? ok, tons of debate on the amount we need to drink.

I always take bottled water with me when i travel by air, though i've learned that Air Canada seems to always have tons on hand, and offers it round at least once an hour. American Airlines and USAir have not been that reliable. I stay away from products such as Perrier after reading some of the studies on the high bacteria count found in their water.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 12:09 pm
Hate to throw a wrench in this discussion, but you'll find the following link interesting (to say the least!).
http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/nbw.asp
c.i.
0 Replies