Boy shot by police at school brain dead

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:19 pm
At the risk of sounding cruel,this is what he gets for pointing it at cops.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10838299/

LONGWOOD, Fla. - The 15-year-old boy shot by police while brandishing a pellet gun in a middle school bathroom was clinically brain dead Saturday but was being kept alive to harvest his organs, his family's attorney said.

(snip)

Penley, of Winter Springs, was accused of pulling the pellet gun in a classroom Friday and pointing it at other students before forcing one into a closet, then leading deputies and SWAT team members on a chase that ended in a school bathroom.

When he raised the gun at a deputy, a SWAT team member shot him, authorities said.

Officers who had responded to the 1,100-student school in suburban Orlando believed the gun was a Beretta 9mm, and didn't learn until after the shooting that it was a pellet gun.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 607 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:23 pm
I was just reading an article on this. This is so frightening. I can understand the police shooting because they thought it was a real gun, but this is so sad. Why do children feel they must carry guns at all?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:26 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
I was just reading an article on this. This is so frightening. I can understand the police shooting because they thought it was a real gun, but this is so sad. Why do children feel they must carry guns at all?

I have wondered the same thing.
I remember when I was in school,if you didnt like someone,you took it under the bleachers and beat the hell out of each other.
Afterwards,it was done and over.

Now,they shoot each other for a pair of sneakers.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:31 pm
I feel so sorry for parents with children in school. I am sure with these kinds of things they must be questioning the safety of their children. I don't have children and can only imagine how horrible this would be for any parent.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:39 pm
and some of these pellet guns look very real. There was a daisy BB gun made in the 70's that looked just like a .22 rifle. The BB barrel hole was inset about an inch from what looked like a 22 opening. If someone woulda pointed that at me I would have believed it a 22 and if I were a cop on a swat team, I am trained to take a shot in response to the nature of the threat, and Im sure the officer here had clearance from a spotter.
Shame, but its almost like the kid had a " suicide by cop" wish
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:39 pm
mysteryman wrote:

I remember when I was in school,if you didnt like someone,you took it under the bleachers and beat the hell out of each other.
Afterwards,it was done and over.

Now,they shoot each other for a pair of sneakers.

yup yup.

I do feel sorry for the parents in this situation. I can not imagine sending my child to school one day, only to get a phone call later by some stranger telling me she is dead.

There is a part of me that feels terrible for that cop as well.
He now has to live with being a killer. And of a child none the less.
Of course he didnt mean to, but in todays schools, if a kid raises a gun to you, they mean to shoot. They will shoot and are sometimes better shots then some cops.
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 04:50 pm
mysteryman

On this we agree..................
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 05:48 pm
What an awful story.

I admire the family for giving the kid's organs...at least SOMETHING comes out of this.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:39 pm
I have a feeling that as far as the 15-year-old was concerned that once he was cornered in the lavatory, his immature reasoning chose Death before "Dishonor".

Why wasn't his father allowed to reason with him?
0 Replies