Poll Shows Majority of Americans Support Impeaching Bush...

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 04:14 pm
New Zogby Poll Shows Majority of Americans Support Impeaching Bush for Wiretapping

For Immediate Release: January 16, 2006

http://archive.democrats.com/images/impeachpac.gif

Quote:
By a margin of 52% to 43%, Americans want Congress to impeach President Bush if he wiretapped American citizens without a judge's approval, according to a new poll commissioned by AfterDowningStreet.org, a grassroots coalition that supports a Congressional investigation of President Bush's decision to invade Iraq in 2003.

The poll was conducted by Zogby International, the highly-regarded non-partisan polling company. The poll interviewed 1,216 U.S. adults from January 9-12.

The poll found that 52% agreed with the statement:

"If President Bush wiretapped American citizens without the approval of a judge, do you agree or disagree that Congress should consider holding him accountable through impeachment."

43% disagreed, and 6% said they didn't know or declined to answer. The poll has a +/- 2.9% margin of error.

"The American people are not buying Bush's outrageous claim that he has the power to wiretap American citizens without a warrant. Americans believe terrorism can be fought without turning our own government into Big Brother," said AfterDowningStreet.org co-founder Bob Fertik.

Recently White House spokesman Scott McClellan cited a Rasmussen poll that found 64% believe the NSA "should be allowed to intercept telephone conversations between terrorism suspects." Of course, that is exactly what Congress authorized when it created the FISA courts to issue special expedited secret warrants for terrorism suspects. But Bush defied the FISA law and authorized warrantless wiretaps of Americans, which has outraged Americans to the point that a majority believe Congress should consider Bush's impeachment.

"Bush admits he ordered illegal warantless wiretapping, but says it began in response to 9/11 and was limited to a small number of calls to or from Al Qaeda," Fertik said. "But recent reports suggest wiretapping affected a much larger number of Americans, and a report in Friday's Truthout says the wiretapping began before 9/11."

"The upcoming Senate hearings on White House wiretapping could be as dramatic as the Watergate hearings in 1973. A majority of Americans have already decided Bush committed an impeachable offense, yet we have only seen the tip of the iceberg in the Corporate Media. If Bush ordered warrantless wiretapping long before the terrorist attack on 9/11, then Americans will realize that George Bush came into office determined to shred the Constitution and take away our rights," Fertik said.

source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,293 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 09:17 pm
I didn't see the results of that poll on Zogby.com. In fact, there was no link provided in the article you cited.

However, the following was posted on the Zogby website, not democrats.com:

Quote:
Released: December 21, 2005

Nation Split Over Bush Communication Intercept; Presidential Job Approval Improves To 44%, Up 6% In Latest poll, New Zogby Interactive Poll Shows

UTICA, New York - A narrow plurality of likely voters nationwide believe President Bush acted within his Constitutional powers when he authorized the interception of international communications without the approval of a federal judge, but the public is closely divided on the issue, a new Zogby Interactive poll shows.

Nearly half - 49% - said they think he has the power to authorize the intercepts, while 45% said he does not, the survey showed.

The interactive survey of 1,929 likely voters nationwide, conducted Dec. 20-21, carries a margin of error of plus or minus 2.3 percentage points.

Asked if the President's actions made Americans more safe or less safe, 50% said the nation was safer because of his actions, while 18% said the actions put the country more at risk and 26% said it made no difference in our level of safety.

However, 44% said they were concerned that the communication intercepts were a step toward stripping Americans of their privacy. Another 23% said they believe the secret intercepts are important in rare cases to fight terrorism, and 29% said they were necessary to combat enemies.

The New York Times reported last week that Mr. Bush had authorized the intercepts, and the White House has since mounted an aggressive campaign to explain their actions. Democrats on Capitol Hill are calling for hearings into the matter.

The controversy, just days old, has not harmed the President, whose job approval rating has improved from a low of 38% earlier this month to 44% now - this as the nation has seen robust economic growth and the Iraq parliamentary elections last week were conducted with little violence and high voter turnout.

Asked whether they felt the nation was on the right track, 44% agreed, while 51% said the country was headed in the wrong direction, the poll shows.

A slight majority - 51% - said they now either strongly or somewhat support the war in Iraq, while 49% said they did not. In the wake of the elections there last week, 51% agreed that the war has been worth it. A Zogby International telephone poll taken the first week of December showed 49% believed the war was worth it.

(12/21/2005)

LINK

It did not indicate that poll was sponsored by some extremist political group.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 09:18 pm
Here's another interesting poll:

Quote:
A CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll of 1,003 adults found that 50 percent of those polled believe it's OK to forgo warrants when ordering electronic surveillance of people suspected of having ties to terrorists abroad.

LINK
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 09:40 am
Tico first poll is from December 21st, the second poll is split 50'50 factoring in the margin of error.

Neither poll asked the impeachment question. Is Tico seriously doubting that Zogby conducted the poll. If so, that is just typical right-wing extremist denial.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 09:59 am
Good for the majority.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:06 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
Tico first poll is from December 21st, the second poll is split 50'50 factoring in the margin of error.

Neither poll asked the impeachment question. Is Tico seriously doubting that Zogby conducted the poll. If so, that is just typical right-wing extremist denial.

The poll from December 21st is on the Zogby site. The poll cited by f4f does not appear to be on the Zogby site ... at least I couldn't find it there, and the link provided pointed to democrats.com, and mentioned it was a poll commissioned by AfterDowningStreet.org, a extremist leftwing political website. When I see a poll's results posted at this site, I like to research the poll's methodology, and the specific questions asked. Don't you? Can't do that with the "impeachment" poll, since I can't find anything, even on the Zogby site, to substantiate it.

As far as the polls I cited not asking the specific impeachment question, that is true, although the December Zogby poll relected that a plurality believed Bush "acted within his Constitutional powers when he authorized the interception of international communications without the approval of a federal judge," and the CNN poll reflected that more people believe Bush was right than wrong in authorizing wiretaps without a court order. The plurality of both polls was hardly in favor of impeachment, even though that wasn't the question asked.

Do you seriously believe otherwise? If so, that is just typical left-wing extremist denial.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:11 am
The fact that the poll is not on the Zogby site is irrelevant and a red herring.

Nice try though.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:13 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
The fact that the poll is not on the Zogby site is irrelevant and a red herring.

Nice try though.

The fact that there is no link to the poll itself is cause to discount the poll entirely, Chrissee. Why would you believe the poll, other than the fact that it was posted on a far leftwing website? Do you even know how the question was worded?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:14 am
Re: Poll Shows Majority of Americans Support Impeaching Bush
freedom4free wrote:
http://archive.democrats.com/images/impeachpac.gif

Of course saying something like this negates any level of integrity you may have at one time had since Clinton also lied (yes people, I know it was on an entirely different matter; however it was still a lie). Or are you now saying that the Clinton impeachment proceedings were indeed justified?

Moving right along...your 'majority' of 52 percent means diddley squat since polls have margins of error of plus or minus 3 percent on average. In other words it may have been only 49 percent agreeing with the impeachment idea which dissolves the majority factor. Add to this that the poll was of less than 1,300 persons...not even a drop in the bucket as far as the entire national population. Of the 1,216 polled how many actually voted in the last election? For whom did they vote? If it is a poll of persons who voted for Mr.Bush, then it has much more strength to it than if it is a poll in which the respondents were primarily supporters of John Kerry. I am also curious as to the 5 percent who are not totaled into the final tally...52/43. Did they abstain? Did they not understand the question? Is there a choice not listed here?

Get back to me when you have more facts.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:18 am
Despite peoples' beliefs to the contrary, i don't choke on the words necessary to agree with someone who commonly expresses political opinions which i consider ludicrous. Tico's points are well taken. The originally-linked article is tendentious, and does not provide the evidence necessary to make a reasonable judgment.

At all events, as i never tire of pointing out, a bill of impeachment can only be produced in the House of Representatives. The Republican party currently controls the House. Even if the Democratic party benefits from the current scandals, the powers of incombancy are such that it is doubtful that the Democratic party can seize control of the House this year. Even were that to happen, it is unlikely that the two thirds of the Senate necessary to convict on a bill of impeachment could be achieved.

When it comes to the question of the impeachment of the Shrub, although i admit i could be proven wrong, my analysis is, it ain'ta gonna happen.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:22 am
Setanta wrote:
Despite peoples' beliefs to the contrary, i don't choke on the words necessary to agree with someone who commonly expresses political opinions which i consider ludicrous.

You have shown this on prior occasions, Set.
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:28 am
Tico, go to the Zogby site and scroll down the right hand column--those with the orange headers (at least in my browser). It's cited there, dated 1/2/06, and it does indeed report a majority of Americans.

And it might be noted that Bush's approval is down again, to 39%, overwhelmingly due to the botchjob in Iraq. Your 44% approval rating is no longer operative.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:39 am
username wrote:
Tico, go to the Zogby site and scroll down the right hand column--those with the orange headers (at least in my browser). It's cited there, dated 1/2/06, and it does indeed report a majority of Americans.

Well, I must be a little dense this morning, because I'm not seeing it. Can you post a link?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:46 am
"Public opinion is also growing more comfortable with the idea of impeaching this president. A Zogby International poll conducted this summer found that 42 percent of Americans felt that impeaching Bush would be justified if it was shown that he had manipulated intelligence in going to war in Iraq. (John Zogby admitted that "it was much higher than I expected.") By November, the number of those who favored impeaching Bush stood at 53 percent--if it was in fact proven that Bush had lied about the basis for invading Iraq. (And these polls were taken before the revelations of Bush's domestic spying.)" http://news.yahoo.com/s/thenation/20060102/cm_thenation/745006
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:47 am
uh, gee, try zogby.com (right hand side, headed ImpeachPac, dated 1/2/06--the guy quoted is an ImpeachPac guy, and this is circumstantial, to be sure, but I have my doubts that it's gonna be on the Zogby site, with the Zogby header, and without further comment, if it's not the results of their poll).
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:51 am
username wrote:
uh, gee, try zogby.com (right hand side, headed ImpeachPac, dated 1/2/06--the guy quoted is an ImpeachPac guy, and this is circumstantial, to be sure, but I have my doubts that it's gonna be on the Zogby site, with the Zogby header, and without further comment, if it's not the results of their poll).

Uh, gee ... thanks for pointing out that completely irrelevant article:

Quote:
ImpeachPAC Forms Citizens Impeachment Commission

ImpeachPAC today announced the formation of a Citizens Impeachment Commission to make 2006 the "Year of Impeachment."

"We are honored by the broad support for impeachment from this distinguished group of true American patriots," said Bob Fertik, President of ImpeachPAC. "Impeachment is not a 'fringe' position, as the Bush Administration would like Americans to believe. With a recent Zogby poll showing Americans support impeachment hearings by a solid majority of 53%-42%, there is far more support for impeachment than there is for the War in Iraq," Fertik said.

"Despite three rounds of Iraqi elections, 845 brave young Americans died in Iraq in 2005, only 3 fewer than the 848 lost in 2004. Also 30,000 to 100,000 innocent Iraqis have been killed in the wake of the U.S. invasion. George Bush and Dick Cheney are personally responsible for each of those deaths, because they deliberately lied to Congress and the American people to start this disastrous and never-ending war," Fertik added.

ImpeachPAC is a political action committee that supports Democratic candidates for Congress who support the immediate and simultaneous impeachment of George Bush and Dick Cheney for their Iraq War lies. In less than two months, ImpeachPAC has raised nearly $50,000 and endorsed its first candidate, Tony Trupiano of Michigan.

ImpeachPAC's efforts have forced the Washington establishment to admit that the many misdeeds of the Bush administration - including the latest revelation of warantless wiretapping of American citizens - are valid grounds for impeachment. The question now facing Washington is not whether Bush and Cheney committed impeachable crimes, but whether Democrats and Republicans in Congress will fulfill their solemn Constitutional duty to investigate and prosecute those crimes, as proposed in December by Rep. John Conyers (D-MI) in H.Res.635.

The goals of the Citizens Impeachment Commission are:

* To put impeachment firmly "on the map" of national politics by demonstrating broad and significant support for the impeachment of George Bush and Dick Cheney for lying about Iraq.
* To lobby Members of Congress to introduce Articles of Impeachment immediately.
* To campaign for pro-impeachment candidates and elect a pro-impeachment majority to Congress in November.

(1/2/2006)
- by David Swanson , OpEdNews.com - Common Dreams - Political Affairs Magazine

LINK
0 Replies

Federalist

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:59 am
Congress "considering" impeachment and actually getting it done are two entirely different matters.

As long as the conservatives are in the majority, I think it unlikely that they will impeach any President who is taking action, albeit of debatable legality , to protect our nation from attacks by our enemies.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:02 am
Seems to be a lot of information about the poll on the first link

Quote:
Footnotes:

2. The Ipsos Public Affairs poll and the new Zogby poll results cited above refer to surveys of U.S. adults. The June 2005 Zogby results are from a survey of likely voters. The new Zogby poll produced results for both adults and likely voters:
1/06 Zogby: Adults and Likely Voters
11/05 Zogby: Adults and Likely Voters.
10/05 Ipsos: Adults and definitions of regions.
6/05 Zogby: Likely Voters.

3. The original impeachment question was written by Zogby for their own poll in June 2005. (We tried to persuade them to repeat their question in their regular polls, but they refused - so we had to pay them to do it.) Subsequent questions, including this one, were written jointly by AfterDowningStreet.org and the pollsters. Obviously there are many ways to word polling questions, and wording has an effect on the results. (Joseph Cannon takes issue with the IF-THEN formulation.) The range of possible questions can be seen in the 1998 polls on impeaching President Clinton. That is why, in July 2005, we began asking the Corporate Media pollsters to conduct their own polls, using their own wording. We also support the efforts of MyDD's Chris Bowers to conduct an in-depth poll on impeachment, which should be completed soon. Personally, I think it's a waste of time to quibble over individual words in a poll for any number of reasons. The most important conclusions to draw from our poll are:

The adults and likely voters are all links on the original
The question is in the link

Quote:
44. If President Bush wire tapped American citizens without the approval of a judge, do you agree or disagree that Congress should consider holding him accountable
through impeachment?
along with a very good breakdown of responses by characteristics of the respondents.
http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/downloads/zogbyadult.pdf

There certainly is more information there than there is for most polling stories.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:06 am
I found this projection amusing:

http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/images/progresssm.gif
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:10 am
The article shows that the poll was conducted in late October 2005.

Here are some of the polls referenced in the article:
http://www.zogby.com/soundbites/ReadClips.dbm?ID=12150
http://www.zogby.com/soundbites/ReadClips.dbm?ID=12470
0 Replies