How to translate: Bar Lev Line

fansy

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 12:18 am
In "Bar Lev Line", does "Bar" have any meaning attached to it? I mean does "Bar" have a meaning just as "Pub" means in the UK? Or we must translate this word by sound? Also what does "lev" mean here? Embarrassed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,360 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 11:13 am
Can you give us an example of "bar lev" in a sentence? What language are you translating from?
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 06:14 pm
again about "Bar Lev Line"
This phrase occurs in the following context:
During the October 1973 War when the situation looked bleak for Israel as Egyptian troops crossed the Suez Canal and captured the Bar Lev Line, Sharon cut through the Sinai with a division of tanks, crossed the Canal and encircled the entire Egyptian Third Army a mere 63 miles from Cairo.
I hope this will help you fix the meaning for me.
Thanks Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 06:26 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_Lev_Line

Quote:
"Bar" is "son" in Aramaic, which used to be the vernacular of the Jewish people.

http://www.jewfaq.org/barmitz.htm

Bar Lev in Hebrew, would mean "son of Lev". Bar is a common prefix in Hebrew names.
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 08:43 pm
Thansks
So, in Hebrew language, Bar Lev, Abu Mazen, all contain a prefix which means son of somebody. It's interesting. May be I will learn more about it by reading something in this connection. Thank you very much.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:34 am
Abu isn't Hebrew; it's Arabic.

In Hebrew, Ben also means son of (Ben-Levi is son of Levi). Don't confuse this with the name Benjamin, of course. Smile
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 05:18 pm
One more question: meaning of Gahal
What's the meaning of Gahal, which is the name given to the merger of several parties in Israel.
0 Replies