• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,308 • Replies: 39
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:07 pm
Aaaarggghhh.

I remember reading a very long article about that, with research results really debunking the theory.

It is received wisdom on the net, but, without being bothered to retrieve everything I read, my understanding is that it is nonsense.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:06 am
Yes, quite right Dlowan
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 08:00 am
dlowan wrote:
It is received wisdom on the net, but, without being bothered to retrieve everything I read, my understanding is that it is nonsense.

*nods* I don't know how things are going in other countries but here in the U.S. we seem to have a bit of a cottage industry made up of people with no medical or scientific experience at all that have convinced themselves that childhood immunizations will kill us all.

Over the last few years this thimerosal/autism debate has really heated up and it seems like thimerosal can be blamed for almost anything including my new shoes being a bit to tight. Razz
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 08:43 am
Interesting
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 09:54 am
Oooh, got into some long ugly battles about this on a parenting board a few years ago -- a board with a lot of people of the type fishin' mentions.

Aside from disliking the pseudo-scientific panic mongers, the implications of not vaccinating children really concern me.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 09:56 am
kinda reminds me of the 50's when some mormons (and others) fought against flouride in the water (they often said it was a communist plot.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 09:58 am
Oh, that's still going, too. Another battle I had there.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 10:59 am
sozobe wrote:
Oooh, got into some long ugly battles about this on a parenting board a few years ago -- a board with a lot of people of the type fishin' mentions.

Aside from disliking the pseudo-scientific panic mongers, the implications of not vaccinating children really concern me.

Yes.

It is leading to new epidemics of illnesses, which were once a minor nuisance.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 11:23 am
Luckily, children won't be allowed into Preschool/Kindergarten
without having proper immunization. Even a chicken pox vaccination is mandatory in California.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 11:25 am
Really?

Not here. Or at least not Illinois, not sure about Ohio.

On the other hand, a lot of people I know who have these opinions also choose to homeschool. :-? (Homeschooling is not intrinsically evil, but it is this kind of combination that makes my skin crawl.) (Did anyone read the extremely sad article in the New Yorker this week about Brendenn?)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 11:44 am
Yes sozobe, California made it mandatory, and I am glad they did. Kids bring home enough other illnesses from school, any disease that can be prevented by vaccination is a blessing.

Especially Kindergarten and first grade were particularly
difficult. It seemed, parents received every week a health
letter of a child having strep throat, ringworms or lice.
I just freaked out every time I received such a notice, but
luckily my child is blessed with a great immune system.

Haven't read the story about Brendan. Perhaps you care to open
another topic with it!?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 11:52 am
Sure... I don't necessarily have any conclusions to base a discussion on, but can open something with a link to the story and go from there.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 12:11 pm
listening to CBC-TV this morning.
the "doctor-on-call" suggested that adults should consider a whooping-cough vaccinination - she spoke in connection with the current controversy re. use of over the counter cough medication.
she suggested it is much safer for adults to get a w.c. vacc , rather than taking cough medication. hbg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 04:36 pm
Haven't been able to find that article online. (Not on the New Yorker site, not anywhere else, though I found reference to it and some quotes.) Hopefully it will show up eventually -- I'm not sure if enough people read the New Yorker to post something without the article.

Sad and not a little creepy. The story has been rattling around inside my head, lots of elements.

Misspelled the name, it's Brandenn (two N's, but b-r-A not b-r-E) Bremmer.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 04:51 pm
sozobe, is this the kid?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A50248-2005Mar19.html

----

hamburger, you are right, adults should consider immunizations too, or at least get booster shots for some
childhood diseases.

One of my adult friends contracted pertussis (whooping cough) last year, and she suffered for good 9 weeks through
it.

I got booster immunizations for polio (should be repeated
every 10 years) and also a vaccination for chicken pox
a few years back, as I never had it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 04:58 pm
That's the kid, right -- let me know if you find the New Yorker article. (It's the article and the way it presents the situation/ additional info not found in news accounts that I found especially interesting.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 05:13 pm
I haven't read last weeks New Yorker yet. In Calamity Jane's link Mama sounds more like a custodian than a parent.

As for the Wisdom of the Common People on Matters Medical....eek!

The older I get the more nostalgia I can summon up for the Good Old Days when the Lower Orders Knew Their Place in the Grand Scheme of the Universe.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 05:14 pm
I'd be very interested in discussing this one with you, Noddy.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 05:18 pm
I only found an article in the NYT from last March, sozobe, and
it's just about the same article as in the Washington Post.

I'm flabbergasted about the mother as well, Noddy. Her
saying that Brendenn has a higher calling to do something
great, is quite disturbing.
0 Replies