human geography

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 04:48 pm
ok.. i know this really doesn't fit into exact science and math... but it's closer than history.
so i need to know answers to three questions:
1. why nevada, and parts of arizona and utah have higher percentages of cancer for white males than neighbouring areas.

2. using this map.. i need to know is anyone sees any pattern in them?
link: http://www.usda.gov/nass/graphics/cn_cnd_s.gif

3. why the upper tip of michigan has white male heart disease and neighbouring areas have it really low.

i'm really thankful for any help given.
i'm stuck. Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 602 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Chai

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 04:57 pm
Corn condition?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 05:11 pm
With the Michigan question, clearly, you should blame Canada.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 05:13 pm
Have you looked into nuclear testing for the Nevada data? And as for Michigan, yeah, you should blame Canada.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 05:17 pm
In Finland, it has been fairly well shown that the high amount of iron in the local water leads to a higher incidence of heart disease and much more drastic consequences from infarction and other cardiac incidents. That might explain Michigan, and the southwestern areas could be the product of another mineral concentration there. I doubt the nuclear testing portion because of the prevailing wind patterns being west to east, but it might be so.

Looking at trace minerals in the water sources might give you a lead.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:33 pm
Setanta wrote:
In Finland, it has been fairly well shown that the high amount of iron in the local water leads to a higher incidence of heart disease and much more drastic consequences from infarction and other cardiac incidents. That might explain Michigan, and the southwestern areas could be the product of another mineral concentration there. I doubt the nuclear testing portion because of the prevailing wind patterns being west to east, but it might be so.

Looking at trace minerals in the water sources might give you a lead.

Canada is noticably missing from your list of possible sources... innnnnnnteresting.
0 Replies