Exactly Why Don't You Believe In the God of the Bible?

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:22 am
Momma wrote:
I seem to be detecting a pattern. It seems as though a big problem with the Bible and the God of the Bible is that many feel it has not "progressed" with mankind. Is this what you are saying? If so, is there a reason that you feel that God or the Bible should progress with man? I hope I am stating these things correctly. I am very interested in the answers I am getting from everyone.

I think that you have misunderstood my implication. I do not believe that the bible was God inspired. I have no idea as to whether there is a God or not. To me, the bible, written by people of their time, is a reflection of the customs, understanding and traditions of those times. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:
Can you explain to me why it is that Jesus is not accepted as the Messiah in the Jewish tradition? Is there a specific reason? More than one reason?

I think that this might clarify your query somewhat:

http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/jewsandjesus.htm
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:22 am
MA said
"I think I told of this before, but it seems to apply here. I had a friend who was once Christian. He became a Buddhist. We were talking one day and I asked him why he switched to Buddhism. His answer really took me aback. He said, "Because the answers in Christianity were just too simple."

Just perhaps your friend was meaning that monotheism itself is simplistic. that is, monotheism answers all questions by "god willed it so" which is on it's face "simplistic" for it answers no questions. Antoher problem I see here is that Buddhism is not, per se, a religion having no gods but, rather, is an "ethic" not unlike Taoism. I'm sure JLN or Asherman will corect my errors in this regard.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:32 am
Wolf )_Donnell Wrote:

Quote:
He's not the only one, although my parents never raised me up to be a Christian and I was never baptised (as far as I know).

I'd initially say that I don't know a single person in my country who didn't start off being raised as a Christian, but then a recent report says that state schools have been failing to give children the Christian morning worship that the law requires them to have.

Hi Wolf! Thanx so much for answering me! I definitely am surprised at the number of posters that say they were raised, brought up, or were Christians. Totally fascinates me! I am learning so much from them because I feel they have answers from two different perspectives.

I know when I was younger I thought everyone was brought up Christian. It just seemed to be that way. I couldn't tell you the first time I actually met someone who didn't believe. The law requires state schools to give children Christian morning worship? Can you tell me more about this?

Quote:
At one time I stated that I was no longer a Christian because of how it was forced onto me and because of my idiotic Scriptures teacher whom would shove the same darned story of Jesus' birth, crucifixion and the Pentecost over and over again. After much deliberation, I've kind of realised that this isn't the only reason and was more of a subconscious one at that.

This seems to be another common occurrence. I would imagine that if someone is not ready or willing, etc. to accept religion of any kind that having it forced on them could cause more harm than good. It's a shame that it isn't understood that you cannot force anyone to believe anything. If someone believes because they were forced, is that belief or just surrender?

Quote:
As time passed on and as I matured, I learnt more about science. The concept of God and religion didn't really enter my mind. I didn't really go to Church either, but because I attended a school in which the Assemblys started off with singing Christian hymns and prayers, I guess I got a taste of Christian worship.

Science again. Hmmmm. Ok, so does this mean you needed more complicated answers also?

Quote:
The thought of an afterlife comforted me. To think that there was a God up there that would right the wrongs after life was very comforting.

Now that I think about it, I don't think the latter was very comforting at all. The God of the Old Testament righted wrongs during life, as well as after. Now he just lets the bad things happen? And even before, the measures he took were so extreme and seemingly evil. After giving it much thought, you couldn't justify it.

This, also, seems to be a common perception amongst those that either don't believe or no longer believe. I cannot deny that when reading the Old Testament that God does sound like a pretty scary guy. It took me a long time to understand this as I do today. Your "you couldn't justify it" statement is interesting. Can I ask why you feel anyone would have to justify what God does? Is this because of how humans feel? Is it because it's frightening and worrying that maybe He might still do these things?

Quote:
To say that he knows best isn't a good reason at all. Say you were a German living under Hitler. He set himself up to be omnipotent and omniscient too, and in some ways he was. Could you justify the evil acts he did to punish those he didn't like, with the reason, "because he knows better than you"?

Guess this kind of answers the above. I completely understand this. Is it a matter of not accepting that God actually is superior to man? Is it a matter of not understanding that is possible? This particular area of non-believing really frustrates me because my concept of God's superiority is the complete opposite. So, maybe you can help me with this, Wolf? Can you explain what it is or why it is some have problems with the concept of God being all knowing, all seeing, etc.?

Quote:
Also, science seemed to end up contradicting things in the Bible. Well, that didn't really push God out of the picture because God =/= Bible (God does not equal Bible).

No, it was the logical inconsistences. The fact that you couldn't prove God to be true no matter how much you tried. In the end, I decided those who started up the religion deliberately chose a definition of God that made it near outright impossible to disprove his existence.

Wow. Now, we are getting somewhere! Ok, I understand the logical inconsistencies. I admit, there are things in the Bible I just can't say I understand at all. Now, is that because I just haven't found those answers yet? I don't know. You think "those that started up religion...."? Very interesting thought. If this were the case, do you think they didn't do a better job of it because the times were so primitive and they just didn't realize the progression that man would make both socially and psychologically and intellectually?

Quote:
And that is true. You cannot disprove God's existence, because of the way he has been defined. How can you say he's not omniscient, if you yourself don't know everything? How can you say he's not omnipotent, if you yourself are not capable of even a fraction of omnipotence? How can you say he's not omnipresent, if you yourself aren't every at once and cannot go everywhere?

It's rather a disingenious definition, when you think about it.

True, you cannot disprove God's existence and you can't actually prove it either. So, do you think that maybe some don't believe because we aren't completely capable of being these things ourselves? If we were capable of being these things, would we then need God?

Quote:
As someone who adheres to the scientific principles as much as possible, I cannot claim to be an outright atheist, because there is not enough evidence to prove that atheism is correct, so I am forced to state that I am agnostic.

Besides, I cannot believe that the concept of God as described by any religion is correct. All religions have changed over the time, their religious texts written by fallible humans that may have had a political agenda behind their motives.

Furthermore, every other God before this Abrahamic God has been false before. What makes this one anymore true than the others? Because there's more followers? Not likely, because the religion is evangelical and calls for non-believers to be converted (whereas the older ones more likely called for non-believers to be killed).

These are very interesting thoughts, Wolf. So, would you say then that you are "on the fence?" You seem more open than some to the possibility that God does exist.

Wolf, to be completely honest with you, I don't think ANYONE at all has the absolute correct definition of God. I believe you are right, man has twisted and distorted things in so many different ways to accommodate themselves that I believe God has gotten lost in there somewhere. It's not hard to understand why so many are either confused about God or just don't believe.

Well, thank God (no pun intended there) that we don't have to fear being killed because we don't believe. Gives me hope!

Quote:
In a way the most popular religions are like a virus (sorry, but I couldn't think up of a better analogy). They were deliberately spread across the world, through human intervention. That does not prove that the God behind this religion was anymore true than the other gods. It just proves that the believers of this God are more virulent in their cause.

I have no problem with that analogy whatsoever, Wolf. In fact, I agree. Unfortunately, a virus has been spread. The pureness of God and His Word has been infected by man and man's changing things to accommodate them.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:34 am
I don't know if I don't believe in the God of the bible so much as I don't believe in the implied definition of God in the bible.

Like Questioner, I observed God's metamorphosis as I read through the bible. From an early creator who demanded complete obeisance and who had a nasty, destructive temper, to a governor or leader who began to communicate laws to his "chosen" creations, to a suddenly forgiving and loving entity who was trying to save humanity. Maybe this is what Christians call the trinity, I don't know.

Then there's the problem that the bible cannot possibly be literal and without error as language itself is an imperfect form of communication, there are many, many languages in the world, and translation is problematic. Some languages don't have words for some things. The perfect word of God wouldn't be a word at all if it were truly perfect.

And I've never quite gotten past one childhood question. If God made the world, who made God? To be fair, this question would remain without God. It's a fundamentally difficult concept to grasp, that of the universe.

Combined with that is the idea that there is only one true religion. Religion is regional. If there were only one true religion, and all people are equally capable of discerning the truth, why would it only ever be one specific population in one specific region that seems to be the lucky group to believe in the one true religion? If you were born in Saudi Arabia, would you be a Christian? India? China? Why isn't God in those places?

So in short, whether or not I believe in the God of the bible depends on what is interpreted as the God of the bible. I could go on and add that I don't believe in salvation and why, but that would be another thread.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:36 am
JN
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:41 am
Questioner Wrote:

Quote:
Why I don't believe in the God of the bible:

1) The God of the bible appears too eclectic a being to exist.

By this I mean he appears to transform over a period of time as the needs and desires of man change. This is not indicative of one supreme being.

Hi Questioner! I'm so glad you posted. You and I have talked some and I really enjoy hearing what you think.

Do you think it is God that is changing or do you think it's man's concept of God that has changed?

Quote:
2) Today's vision of the God of the bible has largely been defined by the interpretations of man, and not based upon anything that God has actually supplied us. So even if there were proof that God exists, I doubt seriously he'd be the God everyone thinks he is.

I completely agree! I am really beginning to think that once God does show Himself (as I believe it will someday happen) we are all in for one heck of a shock! I think He might be quite disappointed at how His Word has been so misinterpreted.

Quote:
3) The God of the bible is professed to love everyone. Given the fact that Setanta is included within that number, I find that tobe reason for invalidation of such a statement, thereby negating one of the fundamental aspects of this God.

I am pretty positive you meant this in jest, Very Happy but it reminds me of a parable (I think it's a parable). The moral was the one that is forgiven more loves more? I am not saying Mr. Setanta needs to be forgiven more or anything like that. He does seem to be one that is more vocal about not believing God is all I mean. But, I am sure God does love Mr. Setanta very much.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:45 am
steve Wrote:

Quote:
You tell me exactly who or what "the God of the Bible" is MA and I will tell you if I believe it.

Hi Steve! How are you? Glad you came by.

Steve, I am hoping that discussing these things with everyone might help answer that question for you. I know what the God of the Bible is to me, but I want to know what He is to everyone else or what He is not to everyone else.

I really don't want to be at odds with anyone about religion. I feel that my lack of understanding about other's perspectives or conceptions has helped me stay at odds with some.

So hang around, steve. Maybe we can both get a better understanding of this. Very Happy
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:53 am
dyslexia Wrote:

Quote:
I was raised by agnostics, both of my brothers are agnostic. I am an atheist because I find "reality" (ie the physical world) adequate to meet my needs whereas I find "non-reality" (ie the meta-physical world) inadequate to meet anyone's needs.

Hi dyslexia. Thank you for answering me. I gather from this that you believe "this IS all there is?" Is this because of any certain thing? Is it because you don't want to be disappointed if you are wrong? Reality seems to be very important in the context of God and religion. Maybe you can help me understand this better?

Quote:
MA said "I think I told of this before, but it seems to apply here. I had a friend who was once Christian. He became a Buddhist. We were talking one day and I asked him why he switched to Buddhism. His answer really took me aback. He said, "Because the answers in Christianity were just too simple."

Just perhaps your friend was meaning that monotheism itself is simplistic. that is, monotheism answers all questions by "god willed it so" which is on it's face "simplistic" for it answers no questions. Antoher problem I see here is that Buddhism is not, per se, a religion having no gods but, rather, is an "ethic" not unlike Taoism. I'm sure JLN or Asherman will corect my errors in this regard.

I never looked at it like that before! I think I was so taken aback by his answer that we ended the conversation right there if I remember correctly. So, do you think he might have just stopped looking for the answers in Christianity because he didn't find a more complicated answer from the beginning? I appreciate that new perspective.

Well, maybe Asherman or JLN will drop by and can explain that a bit more to me. Very Happy
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:07 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Bartikus Wrote responding to mesquite;

Quote:
Sounds like as a child...you really wanted and counted on the existence of Santa Clause and the like at one time and was let down. So was I.

I remember the pain involved. It is not an easy thing to remain hopeful when many of life's experiences tell us to be otherwise.

The higher the hope....the greater the potential heartbreak.

Hi Bartikus. Glad you joined us.

I am learning a lot from those that don't believe. I think I might have been missing the point with them before and I am really hoping I can understand their viewpoint much better.

I like the way you stated this. I can completely understand those feelings and not wanting to go through them again. Since this is such an important personal issue, I can imagine the thought of it possibly not being true to some would cause them different degrees of concern.

As much as I can recall (it was a long time ago) I never had a feeling of pain or letdown over the reality of no Santa. In fact it was probably just the opposite, a feeling of pride and accomplishment in figuring it out. The toys still kept coming, I just knew the source. It was just one more learning experience and another myth put aside. When I figured out that thunder was the sound of lightning and not the old man in the sky, there was no letdown there either.

I think the description of feeling pain by Bartikus over losing the myth of Santa may be the reason many people so desperately cling to religion.

I never had faith in Santa or faith in the Easter Bunny or faith in the Tooth Fairy or faith in the Bible for that matter. Any believing that was done was because of teaching by adults and was easily dropped once reality appeared through additional learning, observation and logic.

Faith is a concept developed to hang onto dearly held beliefs that are not supported by any other means.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:08 am
FreeDuck Wrote:

Quote:
I don't know if I don't believe in the God of the bible so much as I don't believe in the implied definition of God in the bible.

Hi FreeDuck. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer this so fully. This seems to be very common among the posters. I guess the big question then is how do we get back to the real definition of God?

Quote:
Like Questioner, I observed God's metamorphosis as I read through the bible. From an early creator who demanded complete obeisance and who had a nasty, destructive temper, to a governor or leader who began to communicate laws to his "chosen" creations, to a suddenly forgiving and loving entity who was trying to save humanity. Maybe this is what Christians call the trinity, I don't know.

Well, no, that's not the trinity but that is another topic. I completely understand your meaning here though. It's not that easy understanding how God can go from wiping out nations to being an all-loving, all-forgiving God. It took lots of study and research for me to understand what I understand today. And, I still don't have all the answers.

Quote:
Then there's the problem that the bible cannot possibly be literal and without error as language itself is an imperfect form of communication, there are many, many languages in the world, and translation is problematic. Some languages don't have words for some things. The perfect word of God wouldn't be a word at all if it were truly perfect.

Yes, a big problem! I listen to a Christian Chat Room while I work on my computer. The thing that amazes me the most is people will point out scripture to argue their point. Then, someone else says no, that's not what it means, and so on. Well, to me, if the real meaning of it is spoken, that puts an end to the discussion. If it truly is God's meaning then there is no more debate because if it is God's Word it's just accepted. Sometimes that happens in the chat room and sometimes it doesn't. It just amazes me that others in there can't see it. Once it gets into somebody thinks they have to have the right interpretation over someone else's the meaning is lost IMO.

Quote:
And I've never quite gotten past one childhood question. If God made the world, who made God? To be fair, this question would remain without God. It's a fundamentally difficult concept to grasp, that of the universe.

Yes, this is probably a tough one for everyone. I was always told God was never born and He will never die. Now, as a child, that was very hard to accept. Now, as an adult, I can accept this because I believe in the divine sovereignity of God. But, try to explain it? You got me there.

Quote:
Combined with that is the idea that there is only one true religion. Religion is regional. If there were only one true religion, and all people are equally capable of discerning the truth, why would it only ever be one specific population in one specific region that seems to be the lucky group to believe in the one true religion? If you were born in Saudi Arabia, would you be a Christian? India? China? Why isn't God in those places?

I undertand your thinking on this. Completely. However, it does say in the Bible that if one never hears of Christ (I'd have to find the verses) but they look around them and see and believe there is something higher than them, that's good enough for God. Now, that is for those that never hear of any religion at all. As for those that do, they have to make a choice as to the ones they believe. And yes, culture and region has a great influence on everyone.

Quote:
So in short, whether or not I believe in the God of the bible depends on what is interpreted as the God of the bible. I could go on and add that I don't believe in salvation and why, but that would be another thread.

Exactly! So, do you have an interpretation of God in the Bible? What gave you that interpretation?

Well, actually, I think it would fit right in this thread so if you want to expand on that, I'd love to hear it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:14 am
Phoenix Wrote:

Quote:
I think that you have misunderstood my implication. I do not believe that the bible was God inspired. I have no idea as to whether there is a God or not. To me, the bible, written by people of their time, is a reflection of the customs, understanding and traditions of those times. Nothing more, nothing less.

I am sorry if I misunderstood, Phoenix. Ok, you don't believe the Bible is God-inspired. Is there a reason that you believe it was written by the people of their time.....etc.? Do you think maybe it was like a book of fiction someone wrote? I know that sounds smart mouthed but it isn't meant to be. What I mean is, do you suppose it's just like today, people writing books for entertainment purposes and it just caught on, kind of like the DaVinci Code has for some? Does that make sense?

Phoenix Wrote:

Quote:
I think that this might clarify your query somewhat:

http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/jewsandjesus.htm

Thank you very much for this link. I am going to sit down and read this as soon as I am finished addressing everyone. I do appreciate you giving that link to me. Very Happy
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:14 am
Momma Angel wrote:

Do you think it is God that is changing or do you think it's man's concept of God that has changed?

Well, either way, what's in the bible shows a changing God. Since your original question was 'Exactly why don't you believe in the God of the bible.' then your above question is rather off the point.

However, to answer your question, you have to assume that god has changed since his apparent 180 from the OT to the NT. Unless man has translated those texts horribly wrong, of course.

Quote:
I am pretty positive you meant this in jest, Very Happy but it reminds me of a parable (I think it's a parable). The moral was the one that is forgiven more loves more? I am not saying Mr. Setanta needs to be forgiven more or anything like that. He does seem to be one that is more vocal about not believing God is all I mean. But, I am sure God does love Mr. Setanta very much.

Only mildly in jest. God can't tolerate sin. It is therefore a reasonable assumption that he hates it. If he hates sin, he is obviously capable of hate and therefore is likely to hate other things/people.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:15 am
Jod Nation Wrote:

Quote:
JN

Uh, could you expand on that just a bit? Very Happy
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:22 am
Mesquite Wrote:

Quote:
As much as I can recall (it was a long time ago) I never had a feeling of pain or letdown over the reality of no Santa. In fact it was probably just the opposite, a feeling of pride and accomplishment in figuring it out. The toys still kept coming, I just knew the source. It was just one more learning experience and another myth put aside. When I figured out that thunder was the sound of lightning and not the old man in the sky, there was no letdown there either.

So, did you ever wonder who or what made it thunder and lightning? Were the answers science gave enough to answer this for you? If you accept science's answers, does that end it for you? To me, there is always another question of well, what caused that? But, we have different concepts of what and who God is so I can understand how I might keep going back to another question and you wouldn't. Is that how it is for you? Am I making any sense here at all?

Quote:
I think the description of feeling pain by Bartikus over losing the myth of Santa may be the reason many people so desperately cling to religion.

I never had faith in Santa or faith in the Easter Bunny or faith in the Tooth Fairy or faith in the Bible for that matter. Any believing that was done was because of teaching by adults and was easily dropped once reality appeared through additional learning, observation and logic.

Faith is a concept developed to hang onto dearly held beliefs that are not supported by any other means.

I understand what you are saying, Mesquite. But, my real question is, I guess, is isn't it common for us to not want to accept something like this because of something that has happened to us in life, i.e, the analogy of being disappointed about Santa Claus, etc. For you, there is nothing you can pinpoint as to why you don't, can't, won't, whatever the word is here, take that leap of faith?

And, I'd like to make this very clear to everyone, if I get to personal with any of these questions, please just tell me and I will drop it. I do not want to pry or embarrass anyone or anything.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:32 am
Questioner Wrote:

Quote:
Well, either way, what's in the bible shows a changing God. Since your original question was 'Exactly why don't you believe in the God of the bible.' then your above question is rather off the point.

Yes, I agree, He does seem to be a changing God from the Old Testament to the New Testament. The way I understand it, it makes perfect sense to me. There seems to be a flow for me. I don't know how to explain it much better than that, but I will think on it.

The question may be off point a bit, but I still feel it is pertinent to the conversation.

Quote:
However, to answer your question, you have to assume that god has changed since his apparent 180 from the OT to the NT. Unless man has translated those texts horribly wrong, of course.

Very good point. What if it has been translated so horribly wrong? What if what we take as literal isn't meant to be? This is something that really gives me pause. What if we are so far off the mark we have lost the real message? Maybe this is what the faith part is all about? Believing there is a deep message there and accepting that it is there, whether it's been distorted or not? Will God understand that? Will He make allowances for that? I still have lots of questions, myself Questioner.

Quote:
Only mildly in jest. God can't tolerate sin. It is therefore a reasonable assumption that he hates it. If he hates sin, he is obviously capable of hate and therefore is likely to hate other things/people.

I think most might think I don't like Setanta. Actually, that is not true. I don't like the things he says about God or believing in God in general. I understand he has a reason for saying them, but I don't like that he says them. So, if I can understand his reasons for doing it, if I can look past those things and still care about him as a person (I know, it's just cyberspace, but Setanta is a real person with feelings just like everyone else) and God is so much greater than I am, can't He see into Setanta's heart and see that he has those feelings also? I think He can and does. But, I do believe there is a point that God draws the line with all of us and then says, "Ok, you go your way and I'll go mine."
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:53 am
i don't care much if i believe in him or not, i don't much like him that's for sure, he seems needy and whiny

the old testament god seems like a real prick, don't gain knowledge or i won't like you, kill your son to show how much you love me, oops just kidding, blah blah

i don't really think of god much in relation to the new testament, i think jesus was a pretty decent guy

my biggest problem is organized religion not god and the bible
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:04 pm
djjd62 Wrote:

Quote:
i don't care much if i believe in him or not, i don't much like him that's for sure, he seems needy and whiny

I can understand why you feel that way. It's pretty plain He seems harsh, to say the least. Let me ask you, have you read the Bible all the way through? I am just curious if you did to see if you saw a transition in His character at all?

Quote:
the old testament god seems like a real prick, don't gain knowledge or i won't like you, kill your son to show how much you love me, oops just kidding, blah blah

Can't argue with you here. Yes, it seems as though that was a pretty (can't think of the appropriate word here). But, let me ask you this. If, just suppose for the sake of this question, that God is completely perfect and man is at the opposite end of that scale. Now, would that make any difference in your perception of this situation?

Quote:
i don't really think of god much in relation to the new testament, i think jesus was a pretty decent guy

This intrigues me. You seem to be saying that God is not the focal point in the New Testament? Am I reading that correctly? If so, then you do not see Jesus as God and the Son of God? To you, was he a prophet, good man, etc.? Is there any divinity in relation to Jesus per your perception?

Quote:
my biggest problem is organized religion not god and the bible

And I certainly cannot blame you here, djjd62. So, is it far to say in your case, that it's not God you have the problem with but the religion man has made of God?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:17 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Hi FreeDuck. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer this so fully. This seems to be very common among the posters. I guess the big question then is how do we get back to the real definition of God?

You're welcome. I don't really know if there is a real definition of God or that it can be defined at all.

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, this is probably a tough one for everyone. I was always told God was never born and He will never die. Now, as a child, that was very hard to accept. Now, as an adult, I can accept this because I believe in the divine sovereignity of God. But, try to explain it? You got me there.

Truthfully it was easier to accept as a child when I was already in the habit of accepting what adults told me. I just was never able to conceptualize it.

Quote:
I undertand your thinking on this. Completely. However, it does say in the Bible that if one never hears of Christ (I'd have to find the verses) but they look around them and see and believe there is something higher than them, that's good enough for God. Now, that is for those that never hear of any religion at all. As for those that do, they have to make a choice as to the ones they believe. And yes, culture and region has a great influence on everyone.

Yes, I've heard this before -- the tribe without the book as they say. What I say to that is if it's possible to find God without the book, why would God require the book?

Quote:
Quote:

Exactly! So, do you have an interpretation of God in the Bible? What gave you that interpretation?

I have my own interpretation which is subject to change. I don't see it as a king or a commander or even a father but as a source. Maybe an energy source. Maybe the combined consciousness of humanity.

Quote:
Well, actually, I think it would fit right in this thread so if you want to expand on that, I'd love to hear it. [/b][/color]

Ok, here goes. The idea that one's whole life's judgment comes down to whether they check yes or no in the Jesus box just comes across as ludicrous to me. I have a lot of respect for Jesus and his words and don't accept that none of that is as important as his blood washing away our sins. All this concentration on believing the right thing in order to go to heaven appears to distract from the purpose of knowing God. Jesus talked about seeking the kingdom of God in terms of this world, not the next. I took away that the kingdom of God is a state of being and not a physical place and that going to heaven when we die is not a valid goal. If there is an afterlife then there must also be a beforelife, in which case, why come to this one if we already existed elsewhere? It must be on purpose. If God created life, he did so for a purpose, and that must be because there is something to be learned from living. If we spend all of our time on this earth seeking an after life then we've missed the gift of life completely.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:33 pm
FreeDuck Wrote:

Quote:
Ok, here goes. The idea that one's whole life's judgment comes down to whether they check yes or no in the Jesus box just comes across as ludicrous to me. I have a lot of respect for Jesus and his words and don't accept that none of that is as important as his blood washing away our sins.

I am not sure what you mean exactly, FreeDuck. I am probably just not reading it correctly. Do you think His words were more important than the shedding of His blood or vice versa or do they have the same meaning to you?

Quote:
All this concentration on believing the right thing in order to go to heaven appears to distract from the purpose of knowing God. Jesus talked about seeking the kingdom of God in terms of this world, not the next.

You think He was talking only of this world? Do you think maybe He might have been speaking of both in a sense? He said that we are not to be of this world. I take that to mean that we should be in His world even though we are on this earth. Very curious as to your thoughts.

Quote:
I took away that the kingdom of God is a state of being and not a physical place and that going to heaven when we die is not a valid goal. If there is an afterlife then there must also be a beforelife, in which case, why come to this one if we already existed elsewhere? It must be on purpose. If God created life, he did so for a purpose, and that must be because there is something to be learned from living. If we spend all of our time on this earth seeking an after life then we've missed the gift of life completely.

Have you seen the movie Kingdom of Heaven, FreeDuck? It showed all sides of the Crusades. Christianity, Muslims, and the Kingdom of Heaven. The Kingdom of Heaven is just as you seem to be stating, it's in your heart. It's what you live. It was an excellent movie.

I am very intrigued by if there is an afterlife there must be a beforelife? Hmmm. Do you think God might have done all this before? Do you think maybe He starts over and over with mankind?

I agree that if we spend all our time concerned about the afterlife we miss something. For me, living this life to the best of my ability and following Christ as closely as I can is what is important.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:50 pm
I've tried to make Phoenix's "religiocentric" point a few times -- I think it is a good one.

Just because religion is so central to your existence does not mean that other people have a similar need.

I'm going to assume you are not a football fan -- if you are, I'll pick another metaphor.

Imagine that I am an ardent Green Bay Packers fan. (Doesn't take much imagination, since I am. :-D) But further imagine that I am extremely vociferous about my fandom (shh, Gus), and I go around everywhere talking about it. I start a bunch of threads about how wonderful the Packers are. I pounce on anyone who disses them slightly with more about their wonderfulness. I am all Packers, all the time.

Then I ask you, why aren't you a Green Bay Packers fan?

I think it is likely that your reaction to that would be similar to my reaction to your question here. It might include:

1.) Uh, I don't like football.
2.) I just don't care.
3.) I have better things to do with my life than waste a few hours on a Sunday. ;-)

The point is, you don't spend a lot of time or thought on the fact that you are not a Green Bay Packers fan. It's just not something that holds an important place in your life. There are other things that are far more important.

Right?

I have no particular need for religion. I like stories, of many kinds -- there are some good ones in the bible. I also like the Ramayana, and parts of the Koran are beautiful. I take bits and pieces from all over the place, and weave a pretty contented life out of them.
0 Replies