Exactly Why Don't You Believe In the God of the Bible?

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 10:45 pm

There may have been other threads on this topic and I might have even come close to asking the question in a thread myself, but someone suggested I start this one and I thought it was a good idea.

First of all, I do want to make something clear to everyone out there. I understand why so many may be atheists in today's times because of the problems with Christianity. I realize that there are plenty of Christians out there that will tear each other apart over the smallest of differences in Christianity and what they believe. So, it is understandable that many would be confused by this. But, I can't help but feel there is something more to it. Is it something more personal? Is it scientific?

In order to understand the non-believing position better, I am asking you to answer a question for me. I promise no preaching or rebuttals to what you post. I would like to ask questions but will completely understand if it gets to a point that some may not want to talk about it further. This is a personal thing, I realize.

So, my question is Exactly Why Don't You Believe In the God of the Bible?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 26,421 • Replies: 687
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 10:52 pm
Good question.

Bookmark
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 10:53 pm
Thanx kickycan. Someone I quite like and respect suggested I do this Very Happy .
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 10:56 pm
It is a good question. I'm not sure I know enough about the Bible to really answer it.

I think my biggest problem with the God of the Bible is the idea that faith alone is enough to grant a person salvation.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 11:01 pm
boomerang wrote:
It is a good question. I'm not sure I know enough about the Bible to really answer it.

I think my biggest problem with the God of the Bible is the idea that faith alone is enough to grant a person salvation.

boomerang,

Thanx for answering my question. Do you mean that you think there should be more to it than faith? If so, is there any particular reason you feel this way? Do you think it's something we don't need? Don't deserve? Or can't earn? Etc.
[/color]
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 11:15 pm
Why would I believe in him? Is there some evidence he exists which isn't easily susceptible to more mundane explanations???
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 11:17 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Why would I believe in him? Is there some evidence he exists which isn't easily susceptible to more mundane explanations???

Brandon9000,

Thank you for answering. So, you feel you require proof that God exists. Can you pinpoint exactly what it is in you that makes you want the proof?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 11:18 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Brandon9000,

Thank you for answering. So, you feel you require proof that God exists. Can you pinpoint exactly what it is in you that makes you want the proof?

I don't need absolute proof, but a little evidence would be nice. Why would I believe something with no evidence that it's true? That's not likely to lead to correct conclusions.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 11:21 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Brandon9000,

I don't need absolute proof, but a little evidence would be nice. Why would I believe something with no evidence that it's true? That's not likely to lead to correct conclusions.

Brandon9000,

So, would you say it is a matter of not wanting to be wrong? Is it a matter of putting faith into something and then being let down in case it wasn't true?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 11:22 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Brandon9000,

Brandon9000,

So, would you say it is a matter of not wanting to be wrong? Is it a matter of putting faith into something and then being let down in case it wasn't true?

It's a matter of not believing things are true if there's no reason to believe that they're true.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 11:30 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Brandon9000,

Brandon9000,

It's a matter of not believing things are true if there's no reason to believe that they're true.

Brandon9000,

Brandon do you know what you think you would need to believe it's true?
[/b]
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 11:32 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Brandon9000,

Brandon9000,

Brandon9000,

Brandon do you know what you think you would need to believe it's true?
[/b]

Some evidence of the existence of a God that couldn't easily be explained by more mundane causes.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 11:36 pm
Brandon9000,

Ah, so you want a miracle?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 11:38 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Brandon9000,

Ah, so you want a miracle?

That's not the only thing which would constitute evidence of an omnipotent being who created the universe and keeps a hand in things, but it would suffice. It is simply unintelligent to go around believing things are true when there is nothing which suggests that they are. Why don't you believe that humans were placed on Earth 100,057 years ago by aliens who are trying to breed us into a race capable serving them? Because there's nothing which suggests that that is the case. It's the same thing. Why in the world would I believe something without a trace of evidence that it's so?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 11:45 pm
Brandon9000,

What would you consider to be evidence of God?
0 Replies

lightfoot

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 11:51 pm
Hi Momma.
If all the God's that came before your God had the same proof of being "THE TRUE" as your God. He would end up being as believable as them.. and I bet all dem believers in the old God's have got the sh+t's now, where ever the might be... all because they believed for all the same "proof" as you have. But then again I might wrong, but unlike the religious of us I don't care a dam... much prefer to live my life and bring up my children the way I did... enjoyed my life so far, hope to keep enjoying it till it ends, never be "beholding" to anyone or any thing.... life has consisted of thinking not "what if's", but..... "so what".
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:14 am
I think a more appropriate question would be why should one believe in God? It's not like God is a given. Before there is a reason not to believe, there should be a demonstrable reason to believe.

I once believed in Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny. I have recounted this story before, but there was a time when I was sure I had caught the Easter Bunny. My parents helped me set up a trap and the next morning there he was all beautiful and white and fluffy. I cannot remember the exact moment when I realized it was not the real Easter Bunny and there was no Easter Bunny. It was just a part of growing up. The same thing for belief in Santa and the Tooth Fairy. At some point in early childhood it just becomes obvious.

For me, belief in Bible god was similar. Although I was raised a Christian, went to church on Sundays, and was baptised in a Southern Baptist church, it just never really made sense. I suppose I have been a non believer since my early teens, but never really gave it a whole lot of thought through out most of my adult life.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:19 am
Why don't I believe? I question that I want to answer easily with a 'because I don't', but that's not helpful. Let me think about it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:19 am
Mesquite,

You were raised a Christian? That's very interesting. Ok, can you pinpoint exactly (or maybe close to it) where it didn't make sense? Was there a certain thing that you heard? That happened? Was it something that just never made sense?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:24 am
littlek,

Thank you for answering littlek. Actually, because I don't is a completely understandable answer. Part of why I believe is I just do. But, I am anxiously waiting to hear more from you.

Mesquite,

I'm sorry. I meant to thank you for taking the time to answer this question for me.
0 Replies