60 days in jail for raping a 10 year old

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:51 pm
BURLINGTON, Vt. -- A Williston man who admitted to repeatedly raping a young girl will spend two months behind bars.

Mark Hulett, 34, will spend 60 days in prison for sexually assaulting a 10-year-old girl for the last four years.

When he pleaded guilty in August to two counts of aggravated sexual assault and one charge of lewd and lascivious conduct with a child, Hulett faced up to life in prison on the charges. But the state Corrections Department determined that Hulett was a low risk for committing a similar crime, and determined it would not offer sex-offender treatment while he was in prison.

Judge Edward Cashman defended his sentence, saying it was the only way to provide counseling for Hulett. Cashman's sentence could incarcerate Hulett for the rest of his life if he fails to obtain counseling once he is freed in 60 days.

The victim's family said the sentence is just a slap on the wrist.

http://www.thechamplainchannel.com/news/5860407/detail.html

The same story is here...
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/5867091/detail.html

and here...
http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=4666

and here...
http://www.phxnews.com/fullstory.php?article=30332

I posted 4 links so that those that think criminals should be "understood" will know that it actually happened.

Anyone wanna bet that this judge is a liberal?
He should be impeached,thrown off the bench,and serve whatever the normal prison sentence for this kind of crime.
By not jailing this creep,he is allowing him to commit the same crime again.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,828 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Chai

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 09:29 am
book mark
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 09:54 am
Why was it determined that he was low-risk? Is he not a pedolphile? Was there something about this little girl that drove him to rape her?

I can appreciate the desire for counseling but he should do alot more time. Behind bars as Bubba's wife for ten or twenty years would be pretty good counseling, in my book.

Curious to see how this is going to play out in two months. Will he go to counseling or will he run, once out of jail?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:01 am
while i agree he should get the boot, who the hell cares whether he's liberal or conservative? he's wrong.

where i come from judges are mandated to be without a party affiliation. the polarization of everything in american society and by extension in the world into liberal and conservative, democrat or republican, is truly sickening. and oh so tiring.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:52 am
I'm not sure what I think about this sentence.

I think the judge will probably protect more kids by ordering treatment than locking the guy up. What is the current, typical sentence in a case like this? Does anybody know?

From one of your links:

Quote:
However, Corrections Department officials said they were unable to provide psychiatric or psychological treatment to Hulett in jail. Judge Edward Cashman then decided to set the jail term at a minimum of 60 days.

Judge Cashman defended his ruling by saying that without treatment, a long jail term would only harden Hulett and make him more dangerous when he is released. He seemed to feel that decision would keep society safer from this offender's sexual deviancy in the long run.

I poked around a bit and came up with this:

http://66.165.94.98/stories/sexoffend.html

Quote:
...People convicted of serious sex crimes are usually sentenced to prison. According to the 1992 National Corrections Reporting Program, average prison sentences in state courts were 12.8 years for rape (5 years average time served) and 9.5 years for other kinds of sexual assault (2.5 years average time served). 4 Though this is the most recent official information on sentence lengths, it is over three years old and much is based on sentences imposed over eight years ago. Sentences have gotten longer since the information was collected.

Little or no psychological treatment is available for sex offenders sentenced to prison. Those sentenced to probation are rarely ordered to attend treatment sessions as part of their probation.

......Contrary to popular belief, convicted sex offenders have relatively low rates of recidivism compared to other offenders. On average, untreated sex offenders sentenced to prison have a recidivism rate of 18.5%.

.....Most research shows that sex offenders do indeed respond positively to treatment. A comprehensive analysis by Margaret Alexander of the Oshkosh Correctional Institution found far more studies reporting positive results than otherwise 8 (see Figure 1).

....Treatment cuts the recidivism rate among exhibitionists and child molesters by more than half, yet cuts recidivism among rapists by just a few percent.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:55 am
There's a precedent being set here that I don't much care for. If the judge wishes to make certain the man is treated, then treat him first, then lock him up for a long time.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 11:09 am
Quote:
Prosecutors wanted Hulett incarcerated for at least eight years, and in impassioned pleas the girl's family members asked for a stern sentence. Cashman, though, told the crowded courtroom that punishment was not his priority in sentencing Hulett, but rather finding treatment for the man to prevent future abuse.

"This is not a situation where I'm doing this for the family," he said. "My heart goes out to this family, and I would hate to be in the situation this family is. But there's other families out there, and there's other people who could be victimized, and I'm trying to take the long view."

Quote:
The girl's aunt asked Cashman to impose a sentence of at least four years -- one for each year Hulett abused her niece.

This guy wasn't looking at a very long sentence compared to what he was confessed to. With parole he probably would have been out in a few years. Without treatment, he probably would hurt some other kids.

I don't know. I have very mixed feelings about this.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 11:10 am
Ooops - sorry - link: http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060105/NEWS01/601050313/1009&theme=
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 11:47 am
boomerang wrote:
Quote:
Prosecutors wanted Hulett incarcerated for at least eight years, and in impassioned pleas the girl's family members asked for a stern sentence. Cashman, though, told the crowded courtroom that punishment was not his priority in sentencing Hulett, but rather finding treatment for the man to prevent future abuse.

"This is not a situation where I'm doing this for the family," he said. "My heart goes out to this family, and I would hate to be in the situation this family is. But there's other families out there, and there's other people who could be victimized, and I'm trying to take the long view."

Quote:
The girl's aunt asked Cashman to impose a sentence of at least four years -- one for each year Hulett abused her niece.

This guy wasn't looking at a very long sentence compared to what he was confessed to. With parole he probably would have been out in a few years. Without treatment, he probably would hurt some other kids.

I don't know. I have very mixed feelings about this.

Aye, it's a tough one to judge. First and foremost, the penalty for child abuse needs to be much greater.

Secondly, if they think that having this guy in jail for a longer term would just harden him and cause him to hurt more children then cut his gear off, then fling him into the cell.

Despite the judge's fears, I still feel that there is adequate reasoning for an extended stay in jail, and fairly inadequate reasoning to have this guy in a treatment center and out after just 2 months. That's just ludicrous.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 11:51 am
He's not going to a treatment center for two months. He's going to jail for two months and then into treatment. If he fails to attend treatment he can go to jail for life.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 11:57 am
I can see where this judge is coming from. And i wish more judges thought about the big picture like this instead of an instant sentance.

Dont confuse my stand point with being OK with the idea of the 60 day sentance.
Frankly, I think that is the biggest crock of **** I have heard.

He should be sentanced as well. Let him be traumatized in any waypossible.
After his sentance, rehab programs WILL STILL BE AVAILABLE. They are not going anywhere so why was he not given jail time?
Why should he be allowed to resume his life , simply on the IDEA that he CAn and WANTS to be rehabilitated?
What about that little girl?
yes, there are other kids who can be vicitimized by this man. VERY true..
but his current victim has to resume HER life knowing that man is still OUT and may run into her in public? She now has to know that he is FREE and could possibly come after her?

By not giving this man a traditional sentance, I believe this judge has said .. in an off hand way... That little girls psychological state ISNT important.
I mean, everyone else who is convicted of molestation/rape, get sentanced.. but the man that did it to HER didnt..

for a little girl, that is a ******* whopper of a self security issue..

but. Ill get off my longwinded soap box now.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 11:59 am
boomerang wrote:
He's not going to a treatment center for two months. He's going to jail for two months and then into treatment. If he fails to attend treatment he can go to jail for life.

Sorry, that's what I meant. Going to jail for 2 months then doing treatment.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 12:14 pm
shewolfnm wrote:

After his sentance, rehab programs WILL STILL BE AVAILABLE. They are not going anywhere so why was he not given jail time?
Why should he be allowed to resume his life , simply on the IDEA that he CAn and WANTS to be rehabilitated?

Very true.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 11:40 pm
This judge once told a 20-year old rape victim that, "rape is a harsh reality of life", and that she "should deal with it".

Yes, I think I can see where he's "coming from", too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 03:29 pm
funny how differently this thread is going here than at the other site mysteryman's workin' it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:50 pm
Shocked

spill it!
what other site?
I would like to see this.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 12:50 pm
ehBeth wrote:
funny how differently this thread is going here than at the other site mysteryman's workin' it.

Do you mean this one...
http://www.seattlebuzz.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9199

this one...

http://randomprecision.no-ip.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=903

or tthis one...

http://benjiduncan.proboards24.com/index.cgi?board=AntiSociety&action=display&thread=1136959844

Those are all the sites I posted this news story at.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 12:54 pm
Without knowing much about the case, I tend to disagree with the sentence. First of all, pedophilia does not seem to be really curable, and requires the unending use of willpower by the pedophile not to act on his desires, and so there is the possibility that the individual represents a serious ongoing threat to the community. Secondly, there needs to be a societal deterrant - a message to society that says that this type of crime is taken seriously.
0 Replies

KetchupLady

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:19 am
This is really shocking. I agree with Brandon and think that society/the judiciary needs to take every case like this incredibly seriously and dole out maximum punishment to send a message.

Also, I think that the average citizen needs to be vigilent in reporting anything unusual they see when they think a child could be in danger. I've made a few reports myself to the Cybertipline (www.cybertipline.com) when I've come across things of this nature online, and would encourage everyone to bookmark the site should they ever need it for a situation they encounter on the internet (pop ups, spam, etc.) or in "real life".
0 Replies

Pepito

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 09:37 pm
The child rapist should be given hard labor. I suggest that he be sent to California to pick crops. Let us see what happens to him in the labor camps if he does anything to the children of the illegals.
0 Replies