Military background of our Commander in Chief

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 07:13 pm
The milirary background of our noble leader, George W. Bush
Check the web site:
http://www.awolbush.com

Did not choose to join the full time active duty military. Chose to enlist for duty in the (Texas) Air National Guard. On application: checked "do not volunteer" for overseas assignment; listed his "background qualifications" as "none." National Guard waiting list of 100,000 nationally at the time.

17 Jan 1968: Took the Air Force officer and pilot qualification tests. Scored 25%, the lowest possible passing grade on the pilot aptitude
portion.

Speaker of the House in Texas at the time, Ben Barnes, admitted he had
received a request from a longtime Bush family friend, Sidney Adger of
Houston, to help Bush get into the Air National Guard. Barnes further testified that he contacted the head of the Texas Air National Guard, Brig. Gen. James Rose.

May 1968: Graduated from Yale; 1/2 million men fighting; dying @ 350 each week in years 1 & 2.

27 May 1968: Sworn into Air National Guard.

After 6 weeks of basic airman training, received a commission as a second lieutenant by means of a 'special appointment' by the commanding officer of his squadron, with the approval of a panel of three senior officers. Normally required eight full semesters of college ROTC courses or eighteen months of military service or completion of Air Force officer training school. Texas National Guard historian said that he "never heard of that" except for flight surgeons.

Assigned to flight school, normally reserved to pilots graduating from ROTC training or Air Force officer training. "Fast tracked" into the 111th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, a standby runway alert component of the 143rd Group, over those on the existing pilot applicant waiting list.

Trained to fly the missile-equipped supersonic F-102 Delta Dart jet
interceptor fighter. Racked up approximately 300 hours of training flight time in the F-102. Qualified him to fly the F-102 without an instructor short of the 500 hours of experience required for volunteer active duty combat operations in Vietnam.

Year 3: Jul 1970 Earned his wings.

Applied for a voluntary three month Vietnam tour; was turned down for
this volunteer active duty option Air Force, needed additional F-102 pilots to fly reconnaissance missions. Left to fly as a "weekend warrior" in the Texas Air National Guard out of Ellington AFB near Houston.

3 Nov 1970: Promoted to 1st Lieutenant by Brig. General Rose.

May 1971 Credited with 46 days of flight duty.

Year 4

Jun 1971

May 1972: Credited with only 22 flight duty days, 14 days short of the
minimum 36 days owed the Guard for that year.

Apr 1972: Flew for the last time in the cockpit of an F-102. All the overseas and stateside military services began subjecting a small random sample in their ranks to substance abuse testing for alcohol and drugs.

Pentagon had announced its intention to do so back on December 31, 1969.

Year 5

15 May 1972: "cleared this base" according to a written report by one of his two Squadron supervising officers, Lt. Col. William D. Harris Jr.

24 May 1972: Requested in writing a six-month transfer to an inactive postal Reserve unit in Alabama. If Bush had been temporarily transferred there, he would not have continued flying until he returned to Texas, because the Alabama unit had no airplanes

31 May 1972: Transfer request was denied by National Guard Bureau
headquarters. Bush should have returned to his base in Houston and continued with his flying duties. Instead, he remained in Alabama until late in the fall.

Aug 1972: Scheduled physical Could have been subject to selection for a random substance abuse test. either: 1st Lt. Bush took his mandatory annual flight physical for pilots and failed it for some as-yet undisclosed reason, or he refused to present himself in the first place to an Air Force Flight Surgeon, who were readily available in almost every state. Release of Bush's military service record would resolve issue.

1 Aug 1972: Suspended and grounded from flying duty on verbal order of the TX 147th Group's Commanding Officer for "his failure to accomplish annual medical examination."

Two years left of remaining National Guard service.

Expensively trained pilots are not casually suspended.

There is normally a Flight Inquiry Board. If one had been convened, its three senior officer members would have documented why such a severe action was justified in relation to the country's military objectives at the time, as opposed to the simple desire of a trained pilot to just "give up flying". There is no evidence now in the public domain that a Flight Inquiry Board was convened to deal with Bush's official reclassification to a non-flying, grounded status.

This absence of a Flight Inquiry Board is of particular interest to veteran pilots. The implication is that Bush's misconduct was handled like everything else in his military service: aided and abetted by powerful family connections. Country at the height of the Vietnam (air) War.

5 Sep 1972: Ordered to start serving three months in an active but non-flying administrative Guard unit, the 187th Tactical reconnaissance Group in Montgomery, Alabama, for four certain duty days in October and November 29 Sep 1972. In memo to the Secretaries of the Army and Air Force, Major General Francis Greenleaf, then Chief of the National Guard Bureau in Washington DC, confirmed the suspension of 1st Lt. George W. Bush from flying status.

Oct/Nov 1972: No official notation in his service record that Bush ever showed up for this assigned duty in Montgomery, Alabama.

Bush: "I was there on temporary assignment and fulfilled my weekends at one period of time. I made up some missed weekends. I can't remember what I did, but I wasn't flying because they didn't have the same airplanes. I fulfilled my obligations."

The Bush campaign conducted its own search of Bush's military records, and could not find evidence that Bush performed any duty in Alabama.

General William Turnipseed and Lt. Col. Kenneth Lott, who commanded the Montgomery, Alabama, base at the time said that Bush never appeared. "To my knowledge, he never showed up," Turnipseed said.

Nov 1972

Fall 1973: Returned home to Houston Texas. Did not report in person for non-flying duty to his parent Texas 111th Squadron during this whole time.

Year 6
May 1973: Ordered to attend nine certain duty days in person during Summer Camp at Ellington AFB between May 22 and June 7. 1st Lt. Bush did not do so.

22 May 1973

30 Jul 1973: Bush was credited with 35 "gratuitous" inactive Air Force
Reserve points -- in other words, non-attendance inactive Reserve credit time No one in the Texas Air Guard at the time, has stepped forward to say they saw Bush in person on a single day between May 22 and July 30, 1973.

1 Oct 1973: Prematurely discharged with honors from the Texas Air Guard. This leaves Bush without a single legitimate Texas Air National Guard service day for his fifth and sixth years of service to his Texas Air National Guard discharge.

26 May 1974: Scheduled discharge.

Nov 1974: Final inactive Reserve discharge with honors. Bush was attending Harvard Business School as a full-time student by that time.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: The author said "We are not familiar with military procedures or Bush's record and cannot vouch for the accuracy of this table. All we did was take the elements in the piece, and organize it so that the timeline may be better understood. (A critical review of some elements is available here.) This presentation is intended as a starting point for discussion.

UPDATE: We came upon this BuzzFlash Reader Commentary on Bush's military service (written on 25 Oct 2002), and this Washington Post story which fills in a few details (dated 28 Jul 1999). The Post story has a revealing picture of Bush while he was at Harvard Business School.

And while we're at it, this site: awolbush.com is devoted to the issue."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,953 • Replies: 58
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 11:08 am
BBB
Will we ever know the thruth?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 11:25 am
We know enough to form an unbiased opinion.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 11:27 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Will we ever know the thruth?

No, you will never be satisfied that you know the truth. So, why not just be bitter?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 11:30 am
So,
Your own site says that he volunteered to go to Vietnam and was turned down by the AF.
How does that jibe with the lefts claim that he refused to go?

"Year 3: Jul 1970 Earned his wings.

Applied for a voluntary three month Vietnam tour; was turned down for
this volunteer active duty option Air Force, needed additional F-102 pilots to fly reconnaissance missions. Left to fly as a "weekend warrior" in the Texas Air National Guard out of Ellington AFB near Houston. "
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 11:34 am
http://www.webundies.com/images/mk0487s.jpg
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 09:57 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

Gotta love the part about Chicken George volunteering to go to Vietnam after his partial training in a jet that was obsolete and he knew that they would never fly that thing in combat again! What a hero!

Volunteering after he had been grounded...permanently!!!
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 05:36 am
Magginkat wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Gotta love the part about Chicken George volunteering to go to Vietnam after his partial training in a jet that was obsolete and he knew that they would never fly that thing in combat again! What a hero!

Volunteering after he had been grounded...permanently!!!

There you go,ignoring the timeline the left believes,because it doesnt fit your bias and ignorance.

Read the timeline again,he volunteered to go to Vietnam in 1970,and was grounded in 1972.
Try not to let your pathological hatred blind you to facts.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 05:52 am
Interesting how the right defends Bush's military record while denigrating for political purposes any Democrat who honorably served.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 05:57 am
Name one democrat veteran I have ever denigrated,because of their military service!!

And,please show where I have ever done that,if you can!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 06:25 am
The right in general. I don't keep individual records on every single righty.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:36 am
Edgar - How is this relavent ?

Just another day in the bitch and moan section.

Do you ever get tired of hearing yourself trying to make the same argument over and over again?

I know I am tired of your constant whining.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 08:17 am
I notice that his record does not include 6 years as Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 08:29 am
McGentrix wrote:
I notice that his record does not include 6 years as Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces.

Good one!
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 08:34 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Interesting how the right defends Bush's military record while denigrating for political purposes any Democrat who honorably served.

EdgarBlythe, Their desperation is showing..... big time. The old boy has been exposed as a liar extraordinary and he is so out of touch with reality that his speech writers can't keep up with all the garbage that flows from that lying AWOL mouth. Check that telling question and answer session in Cleveland yesterday. You can bet that a whole crowd of people walked away from that fiasco wondering why the hell they ever believed a word coming from this fraud.

Extraordinay lies require more extraordinary lies until it circles around to bite one one the behind. That's what's happening to the king of liars.

Do these bu$h apologists really expect us to believe that the entire world is wrong and bu$h right?
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 08:37 am
McGentrix wrote:

I don't expect that this is anything any republican other than the deluded ones posting here want to brag about the past 5 + yrs that birdbrain has been CIC?

It has been one royal disater after another. Frankly, McG., it's laughable that you would bring in that subject as something to be admired. That's a stretch, even for you!

0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 08:42 am
edgarblythe wrote:
The right in general. I don't keep individual records on every single righty.

Ah Edgar,
But therein lies their biggest illusion......... that we have nothing better to do than to follow them around to see what they are doing and saying. I don't suppose it would do any good to tell them how we hold our breath in an attempt to control the gag reflex while we read the gibberish that comes from these human echo chambers?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 09:23 am
Magginkat wrote:
Check that telling question and answer session in Cleveland yesterday.

What about it, Magginkat? Do you have something to tell us about that speech in Cleveland?
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 09:26 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Magginkat wrote:
Check that telling question and answer session in Cleveland yesterday.

What about it, Magginkat? Do you have something to tell us about that speech in Cleveland?

Yes Tico..... in the immortal words of one Dick Cheney to Patrick Leahy in the Senate ..... Go F...... Yourself!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 09:39 am
Magginkat wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

I don't expect that this is anything any republican other than the deluded ones posting here want to brag about the past 5 + yrs that birdbrain has been CIC?

It has been one royal disater after another. Frankly, McG., it's laughable that you would bring in that subject as something to be admired. That's a stretch, even for you!

Since the terrorist attacks on September 11th, the United States has waged two of the swiftest and most humane wars in history (in Afghanistan and Iraq). Fifty million people have been liberated from two of the world's most brutal and aggressive regimes - and the terrorists' foreign operating bases are being taken away.

More than three-quarters of al Qaeda's known leaders and associates have been detained or killed.

Operation Enduring Freedom, the United States built a worldwide coalition of 70 countries that destroyed terrorist training camps, dismantled the brutal Taliban regime, denied al Qaeda a safe haven in Afghanistan, and saved a people from starvation.

Today, Afghanistan has a new president, Hamid Karzai, and a new constitution that gives unprecedented rights and freedoms to all Afghans.

On March 19, 2003, the United States and its coalition partners launched Operation Iraqi Freedom. Three weeks later, Saddam Hussein's regime was toppled from power. Today the former dictator is awaiting trial in prison rather than ruling in a palace. A regional threat and state-sponsor of terrorism has been removed. Sovereignty has been transferred to the Iraqi people.

Schools and clinics have been renovated and reopened, and power plants, hospitals, water and sanitation facilities, and bridges and roads are being rehabilitated. Since the liberation of Iraq, food and electricity are now distributed more equally across the country.

Iraqi university students and scholars are now able to communicate and travel abroad freely, reconnecting Iraqi higher education with the international academic community after decades of isolation.

Iraqis now have an ever-growing free press, including newspapers, internet, radio stations, and satellite television networks.

Small businesses are opening in Iraq, creating new jobs for Iraqis.

President Bush led the creation of the Proliferation Security Initiative (PSI), a broad international partnership of more than 60 countries that is interdicting lethal materials in transit. These nations are sharing intelligence information, tracking suspect international cargo, and conducting joint military exercises.

As a result of the PSI, American and British intelligence discovered advanced components intended to build nuclear weapons that were being shipped to Libya. German and Italian authorities helped seize the materials. And confronted with the discovery, Libya voluntarily agreed to end its WMD programs.

American and British intelligence officers uncovered and shut down a sophisticated black market network headed by A.Q. Khan, the architect of Pakistan's nuclear weapons program, which sold nuclear technologies and equipment to outlaw regimes stretching from North Africa to the Korean Peninsula.

Add to these the free elections in multiple Middle Eastern countries and a soaring economy I think there is plenty to admire. You be be a nattering nabob all you want, that's your choice.
0 Replies