Family Politics

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2002 11:08 pm
You know I was wondering where all the decent people went..........were you hiding from me? :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2002 11:17 pm
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

They was WAITING for you!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2002 11:28 pm
This site is WAAAAAAYYYYY COOL! Is this all Craven's work? Tip of the hat to him if so. I come from a family of republicans and have voted republican on several occasions, but republican now means only Bush and that I will never support! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2002 11:41 pm
My parents were apolitical. Most of my family does not vote. In fact, I don't think any of them do. My wife has voted a few times, but she did it to please me, so I quit encouraging her. (Don't like to see folks vote with no passion). I don't think any of my four children have ever voted. I used to be a Democrat, but now I'm watching the seeds of a second American Revolution germinate and hoping it involves little or no bloodshed.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2002 08:11 am
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
They were Maiting for you
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2002 12:18 pm
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Confused
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2002 02:40 pm
Bi-Polar's here! Now the fun begins Wink I joined the Democratic Party after Reagan won his first election. I had been an independent, but felt like the Dems needed all the help they could get. I'm getting a little ambivalent, though. I think the Democrats have lost their bearings and are drifting too far to the right.

Oh yea, my parents were Democrats as were my grandparents.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2002 03:41 pm
No problem, Swimp. It didn't take long to see how far the current prez could lean to the left - when he thought it would pick up a few votes next time around. Steel tariffs come to mind.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2002 04:39 pm
My wife is a die-hard Democrat, and I'm an Independent. My votes go to the individual I feel best reflects the best in American ideals: Fair play, honesty, to care for those unable to care for themselves, and limited government intervention. I also believe in Universal Health Care. Why the richest country on this planet can't help our fellow citizens with health care is beyond my understanding. On the other hand, my wife voted for (ugh) Davis. I wouldn't vote for him if he was the only one running for governor of California. Mickey Mouse would do a better job! Rolling Eyes c.i.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 08:04 am
Not sure how my grandparents (who raised me) voted, but i did know that my grandfather was a J.P. and the precinct Democratic committeeman. I was walking to the store in Southern Illinois once, and a car pulled over to give me a lift. It was Senator Paul Simon with his wife. He asked me where i was going, and i said Arnold's, so he said hop in. We chatted, and, naturally enough, politics eventually popped up. He asked where i had grown up, and i told him, so he asked my name. Understanding his question, i gave him my name, and then told him that i was raised by Dewey Antrim. He then asked if Dewey hadn't been the Democratic precinct committeeman. My grandfather died in 1961. This took place in 1985. Paul Simon must have been born to be a politician.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 10:10 pm
My parents were Republicans because of the pro-business stance.

I voted mostly Republican until the Goldwater/Johnson campaign in 1964. At that point I really did not understand the differences between the parties. A Co-worker gave me copies of Goldwater's "Conscience of a Conservative" and Chester Bowles "The Coming Political Breakthrough." I read both and knew instinctively that I was a liberal and Democrat.

Once or twice since 1964 I voted for Republicans on the grounds that the candidate seemed to be the man of higher character. This, alas, always turned out to be a vain hope.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 11:05 am
My parents were registered Republicans but I have no idea who and what they voted for as they were certainly liberal ideologically.

Mr. B is a Republican as well and tends to vote for the more conservative candidates (although he did drag himself out of his sick bed to vote against Gordon Smith this election (kiss, kiss)). He truly is one of the most generous people in the world when it comes to helping others though. He believes that it is the business of our citizens and not the government to help each other out - especially those less fortunate than ourselves. We have both been very fortunate so we help out a lot in many ways.

I am a moderate Democrat who believes that at least some of my taxes should go to support programs that I like since they spend so freely on programs I don't endorse.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 09:34 pm
boomerang, It may be true that the general public should help our fellow brothers and sisters in need, but rarely does not occur on a one-to-one basis. When my three siblings and I were children, our mother was the only caretaker, and she could not go out to find some kind individual to help us financially. The only route was government welfare where a steady income was provided. c.i.
0 Replies