Family Politics

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 09:28 pm
Just curious -- do you more or less vote the say way (i.e. Democrat or Republican) as your parents did? And, if you're kids are old enough, do they vote the way you do?

I tend to vote like my parents -- my son votes mostly like me and my daughter doesn't.

Also, are you and your significant other on the same wave length when it comes to politics?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,635 • Replies: 32
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 09:51 pm
My family yes, his family no, us YES. We were both rabble-rousers in our youth and I think neither of us would take it kindly if we found out that the other was a baddie. You know.

(Did I just say "in our youth?")
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 09:51 pm
Hmmm.. You know.. I have no clue here! lol I have absolutely no idea how my parents vote. But then I don't buy the "vote the party line" idea so... Maybe I get that from them?

I can remember my parents discussing politcs a few times when I was a kid but they always discussed issues - not people or parties. I don't think they were ever beholden to any particular party ideaology though. Now I'm going to have to ask then the next time I talk to them.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 09:57 pm
Actually, fishin', I'm not really sure how my parents voted either. I think I know, but I'm not sure. Interesting. I also don't know how my siblings vote. My brothers always loved to argue, but not about politics for some reason.
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:33 pm
Bandylu is this really you?
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:34 pm
Hi, Joanne -- I wondered if you'd ever come back (saw your name on the member list). How are you doing?????
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:37 pm
Today is my day. I am so happy to find you again. I have missed you so much.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:39 pm
I do seem to follow the family line on politics, Bandylu. And then find new facts and reasons to support the attitudes.

Hi Joanne. Yeah, I saw you on the member list and then noticed you mentioning that there was nobody on abuzz. Never mind what I thought about that.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:39 pm
Ditto, Joanne. I accidentally deleted your e-mail address months ago and so was never able to write you. Are you still in DC?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:40 pm
bandylu - If I know my parents at all they vote opposite of each other. My mom always harps on everything and my dad just finally gives up trying to discuss things with her. I suspect he votes opposite of what he thinks she'll vote just for spite! lol

Hi Joanne! I saw your name on the member list but haven't seen you in here until tonigt! Welcome aboard! Smile
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:41 pm
B.P. used to mourn the loss of Bandylu, too. Maybe he and squinney just aren't speaking. I know she's a member, and has posted at least once.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:43 pm
My parents have been gone for quite a while, fishin', and I kind of assumed I knew how they voted, but after your post I got to thinking about it and I can't remember them actually ever saying anything specific. Talk about the secret ballot.

Joanne -- you must stick around here. There are oodles of old Abuzzers and it's so civil you won't believe it. And lots of goodies Craven's given us. Kind of like Abuzz heaven.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:46 pm
Sorry, roger, I missed your post in the excitement of Joanne's return. I think I do the same -- find reasons to support my leanings. I just can't figure out why my daughter went so wrong.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 12:26 am
Interesting question.

My parents were born in Cuba, so they didn't vote (they have quite a political history though).
They were left wing; my father moved towards center-left and my mother became a conservative as years passed.

Me and my wife have voted for the same party in 12 out of 14 ballots. (Some kind of a feat, given that we give differential votes, according to the race).

My oldest son voted in July 2000 exactly like I did (6 ballots out of 6). A differential vote, a Conservative for President; Social Democrats in all the other races. It was his first time.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 05:47 am
My parents were Democrats. I am a registered Republican, my political philosophy tends towards libertarianism, and I vote for whomever I think will do the country the most good (or, in many cases, the least harm).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 06:07 am
Hmmm - my father was to the right of Attila the Hun politically, and I am considerably to the left of your Democrats. I don't know what my mother voted, and she died when I was too young to have discussed politics much with her - although I did discover that she was a secret agnostic not long before she died!

I am probably more conservative than the large bulk of my friends - and much less conservative than another grouping.

Sigh.

All my partners have been real lefties.

I am just a lonely little pink petunia in an onion patch!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 08:09 am
dlowan's father and mine saw eye to eye. Mine was a Reagan Republican and totally pissed me off by making cash contributions to the Republican Presidential Task Force and other Republican entities (I mean, hey, he wa squandering my inheritance!!) My first wife was one step short of joining the Communist Party. I think the only reason she didn't (as far as I know) was because the Party was on the Attorney General's list of subversive organizations and she feared for her own safety. As a disciple of Aristotle's principle of the Golden Mean, I tend to be very middle-of-the-road, more Democrat than Republican. I'm a Conservative on most foreign issues, a Liberal on all domestic questions.

But, as someone else has already said, a lot of the time, when voting, it's just a matter of voting for the lesser of two evils. Sad, but that's politics today.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 08:46 am
Both my mother's and father's family were conservative-libertarians. My father didn't join a party, but was a member in some local/county commitees for the conservatives.

My history/English teacher taught my "rebellion" - he is a leading figure in the conservative party now and I'm since school times a supporter of the Social Democrtas (and a member since a couple of years).

My parents didn't like this much, but libertarian as they were educated ...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 12:07 pm
My folks are both Democrats (I recall in '68 I was the only kid in school whose parents had voted for Humphrey), and so are my brother and I. My husband is also a Democrat. We don't have kids so I can't comment in that sense.

And hey there Joanne! Welcome back!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 12:12 pm
Just came back from casting my ballot. Boy, do I feel virtuous!
0 Replies