Living w/ my boyfriend's parents for a week!!!

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 12:01 pm
Well, Friday's the big day...I'll be going to California to spend 10 days w/ my boyfriend and his family! He was visiting for the holidays, and I am flying out to meet him Friday. I'll be spending 2-3 days at his grandparents home, and the rest of the time at his parents home! I've only met them once before, so I'm a little nervous to spend so much time w/ them! Any words of advice? Thanks guys and wish me luck!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 834 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Crazielady420

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 12:05 pm
be yourself
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 04:03 pm
Check out the "lay of the land", before jumping right in. Since you don't know these people it is important that you get a sense of where they are coming from. In other words, don't get involved in volatile discussions right away. Keep things light.

Just remember, they are probably as anxious about meeting you, as you are about them. Relax, and enjoy!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 04:06 pm
My personal suggestions?

Don't plan on waltzing around like you would in your own home. Remember that you are a guest so respect the rules of the house.

Don't fight with your boyfriend over something that can wait. That's the last thing you want his family to see you doing right now.

Don't expect to sleep with your boyfriend. I would even go so far as to say that even if the rule hasn't been set that you are not to sleep together, maybe you should not just to show them you respect them, your boyfriend and yourself.

Be yourself and enjoy getting to know the family. Like phoenix has said, they are probably just as nervous and excited to meet you as you are to meet them!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 05:13 pm
"Living" with them? You're a houseguest for a week, not a permanent boarder.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:15 pm
Prepare to get annoyed. Smile

Staying as a guest can be sooo draining; even when they are wonderful folks.

Be yourself, but on your best behavior. That means all the time. You might be walking into a household where everyone gets up at 6 a.m. and eats breakfast together. If so, don't sleep in. Go with the flow of the house.

Have fun!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 09:09 pm
I agree. Be cheerful and pleasant and avoid controversy. Do things their way, even if it hurts. You'll be back in your own home soon enough, it won't kill you.

Bring a house gift to each place. Something small and inexpensive, like a scented candle.

When you get home, no matter how the visit went, send a thank-you note to both for their hospitality.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 09:12 pm
Amanda, that was me 2 weeks ago. I survived!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 09:13 pm
Quote:
When you get home, no matter how the visit went, send a thank-you note to both for their hospitality.

Er, thanks for reminding me...
0 Replies