Endy's Midnight Express- for night crawlers

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 11:39 pm
Do you sometimes feel the need to Express yourself at Midnight?

I know there have been threads about insomnia and how to cope with it, but if you're anything like me, then for now, it's something to be lived with and I've settled into a pattern of sleeping for a few hours between 7 and 11 each morning.
Nights are a hard time for me.

I've been posting on a2k for a little while now (mostly in original writing).
Many users have given me their kind encouragement - which I've tried to acknowledge - but you know how it is - you can only type 'thanks' so many times.
Anyway, I got to thinking how, seeing as I'm awake anyway most nights, I could invite users to post any night-time thoughts here.
You know, like the ones that keep you awake.

For anyone who can't, or would rather not use chat rooms, an informal, nocturnal space could be a great place to check in. I know I'm not alone with the type of problems I have with sleep. I suffer with bad nightmares sometimes. Sleep deprivation, it can be a very vicious circle.

When the writings not going good, when Bob's not chilling me out or whatever, I can get real tired, like being punch-drunk, but my head's whirling like a ship's propeller.
Sometimes I feel like writing down my thoughts. About the night, about anything. Simple things - nothing I feel that I'd want to post on the Original Writing Forum.
I write most nights, so I could check in a couple of times - say at midnight and then some time before 5 am and I don't see this as a dumping ground - but something like those tv rooms you get in hospitals, where the insomniacs sit whispering in the wee hours.
What do you think?

I could ask anyone who posts to let us know what time it is for them, just to give an idea of the insomnia problem?
Any other ideas?
Hope to hear from you with any thoughts.

Here's my thought tonight (actually this morning):

Maybe I'm just asking for something for myself here. It gets pretty lonely at 4am and it's true that I sometimes feel desperate for some company.
I dunno, I'd like to turn the insomnia to some good use though -
It could be about sharing the burden - that's how I see it.

Endy 5:37 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,978 • Replies: 22
No top replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 05:41 am
Hey ENDY,I work nights Monday to Thursday in the UK.Normally stay on "nights" over the week-end.Will drop in later to see if you're up Cool
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:46 am
Cheers barrythemod - I'll be here Smile
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:50 am
Don't forget that midnight in civilisation is only about 6pm in the colonies, so there SHOULD be some people around to talk to.

I am an early riser myself, and when I sit here sometimes at about 6am, all those buggers have gone to sleep and I am left either writing to myself, or finding the odd aussie here and there that I can stalk around the various forums.

I vote that those American chappies should be made to stay up until 4am during weekdays, so that we may be entertained.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:52 am
Anyone who lives a country in which it is alleged that spotted dick and toad in a hole are food has a Helluva lotta gall to talk about "civilization" . . .
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:58 am
Sorry I misread the title as nightcrawlers and thought you were going to talk about fishing bait and other matters related to fishing...
nightcrawlers are some of the best bait worms around (although I prefer not to use live bait).
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 05:57 pm
Hi Everyone,
Midnight here, so I thought I'd stick my head around the door and see if any folk have wandered in here tonight.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:00 pm
I've been trying to get into this book by Neal Stephenson called Cryptonomicon. So far, it hasn't hooked me.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:08 pm
Hey, Lord Ellpus
Always enjoyed your posts and avatar - cheered me just to see it here.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:13 pm
Hey Setanta, can you see the stars real good where you are?
One of my mates came back from travelling in the Australian bush and didn't ever stop talking about the stars.
Or are you in a city?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:13 pm
ENDYMION wrote:
I've been trying to get into this book by Neal Stephenson called Cryptonomicon. So far, it hasn't hooked me.

I wasn't a fan of it, either, but my Dad really liked it. Hmmm.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:16 pm
Sturgis wrote:
Sorry I misread the title as nightcrawlers and thought you were going to talk about fishing bait and other matters related to fishing...
nightcrawlers are some of the best bait worms around (although I prefer not to use live bait).

I used to go fishing on the Thames at Walton at five o'clock in the morning with a couple of other kids. We used maggots. I had my first cigarette sitting under a groundsheet in the pouring rain when I should have been sitting next to a radiator in school. Smile
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:17 pm
hee hee hee, set lives in a state we affectionately call "THE GATEWAY TO INDIANA"
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:20 pm
night crawlers are easy to incentivize to leave their warm tunnels. We would jam two ground rods into the damps soil and hook up a 12 volt battery. All the worms you need without all that stalking with a flashlight
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:24 pm
jespah wrote:
ENDYMION wrote:

I wasn't a fan of it, either, but my Dad really liked it. Hmmm.

I read Zodiac by the same author and quite enjoyed it, although it did start to run out of steam at the end (so many thrillers do).

I think the size of Cryptonomicon is off-putting. It's like confronting a thick text book.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:41 pm
farmerman wrote:
night crawlers are easy to incentivize to leave their warm tunnels. We would jam two ground rods into the damps soil and hook up a 12 volt battery. All the worms you need without all that stalking with a flashlight

Hi Farmerman,
Yeah, I saw Matthew Broderick do something like that in the film 'Godzilla'.

Wouldn't fish in the Thames now though, not after reading Zodiac!
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:46 pm
I'm gona head off now and try and do some writing.
I'll check in again later - around 2am if anyone's about.

Thanks for dropping by,
Endy
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 08:06 pm
Wow 2am already.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:03 pm
Just gone 4am
0 Replies

Endymion