Can forgiveness affect your health? Need examples!

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 03:33 pm
Hello everyone! I'm currently looking for stories about forgiveness for a magazine article I'm working on. In particular I'm looking for stories about how the act of forgiveness can improve physical health. There's been a lot of research in the last decade that shows holding onto anger -- not forgiving -- can have a negative impact on health, and that forgiving can alleviate these negative effects. I'm wondering if anyone has ever held a grudge and experienced negative effects -- trouble sleeping, headaches, stomach pain, appetite change, or something else -- as a result of holding onto this anger. I'm also wondering if anyone has been able to alleviate these symptoms through forgiveness. If you have any experience with this, please share your thoughts!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,832 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 03:52 pm
@liagrainger,
liagrainger wrote:

Hello everyone! I'm currently looking for stories about forgiveness for a magazine article I'm working on. In particular I'm looking for stories about how the act of forgiveness can improve physical health. There's been a lot of research in the last decade that shows holding onto anger -- not forgiving -- can have a negative impact on health, and that forgiving can alleviate these negative effects. I'm wondering if anyone has ever held a grudge and experienced negative effects -- trouble sleeping, headaches, stomach pain, appetite change, or something else -- as a result of holding onto this anger. I'm also wondering if anyone has been able to alleviate these symptoms through forgiveness. If you have any experience with this, please share your thoughts!

As John Wayne said. "Never apologize. It shows your weakness." the only thing that affects our health is guilt. Just say to your mirror. So I did it so what and move on. I got rid of my guilt and fear by blaming my brainwashing.
0 Replies

GlastonburyFestival

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 12:40 pm
@liagrainger,
Hey, I have a story of forgiveness which I think confirms the research that forgiveness is good for your health.
I held bitterness and anger towards my father for years, causing me much grief and distress. Resentment built up to the point where I was physically ill, unable to hold down a job and make significant friendships.
Eventually I made the choice. The decision to forgive came after much soul searching. Almost overnight I felt much happier in myself, was able to improve my quality of life and my self confidence increased all because I courageously forgave my father. Forgiveness releases the power of the offending individual. There is no other thing in this world that is free and can help so many people.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 02:06 pm
I don't know if it's forgiveness that makes you feel better, but simply not thinking about or letting something bother you anymore.

But, so many people would call that "selfish" and christ knows, the last thing we want to be be selfish. I mean, just imagine doing things because they are best for us. Those people just couldn't handle admitting they are taking care of themselves.

So instead, we give it this altruistic term called "forgiveness" so we can convince ourselves we're doing something great for the other person. When in reality we've simply come to terms with something and stop jerking ourselves around about it.

So yeah, when we're not expending negative emotions about something in the past, and get on with the business of being happy and content with ourselves and our lives, it's probably good for your health.

0 Replies