21M: Waking up after 5 hours of sleep to pee, and can't fall back asleep

Wed 2 Sep, 2020 09:56 am
Every day I get only 5 hours of sleep at night. What wakes me up is the need to pee. After that, I feel extremely tired but can't physically go back to sleep. I would end up taking afternoon naps but stopped doing that a few weeks ago, but that didn't cure my problem.

This all started happening one day when I took Benadryl to fall asleep earlier. That day I woke up after 5 hours of sleep and felt the need to urinate. Every day since then I have been waking up to pee and can't fall back asleep after only 5 hours of sleep.

I feel extremely fatigued and my brain cannot function during the day. Like I said, I try not to sleep in the afternoon, but the next night I would still end up getting only 5 hrs sleep.

This has been going on for 3 months now and I don't know what to do. Any advice?

Note: I drink coffee daily but have been doing so before this all started, so I don't think caffeine is the issue. I also don't drink much fluids before bedtime.

Could the benadryl have caused a disruption in my sleep-wake cycle?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,129 • Replies: 4
Topic Closed

jespah

Wed 2 Sep, 2020 11:11 am
@billwright123,
Think twice about caffeine and consider stopping it past, say, noon and see if that helps.

Also, get aerobic exercise (walking, hiking, jogging, biking, cleaning, etc.) but no more than maybe 1 - 2 hours before bed.

If it is stress that is bothering you, you will need an outlet for that. Exercise can help. Making art or talking to a friend can, too, but don't hesitate to talk to a professional if you feel the need.

Also, consider your sleep environment. Is it dark? I mean really dark, like stub your toe because you can't see where you're going dark. If not, then invest in blackout curtains. If your mattress is uncomfortable, see about flipping it and, if that doesn't work, consider replacing it. Keep your phone out of your room if that is at all possible, and don't watch TV later than maybe 1 hour before bedtime. And keep your bedroom a few degrees cooler than you would normally want during the day.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Wed 2 Sep, 2020 04:09 pm
Billwright

It could be me writing your post. (Except I don’t need to pee. )

I feel better if I pass up the nap, but that’s hard to do.

Can’t drink coffee or chocolate after 6 pm, either.

I feel best with 7 hours sleep. Exercise helps immensely. Even a brisk walk.
0 Replies

OliveFox

Mon 8 Feb, 2021 07:17 am
@billwright123,
The same thing happens to me right now. I suddenly wake up at 5 a.m. and cannot fall asleep after that. It doesn't even matter when I go to bed.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 8 Feb, 2021 08:33 am
@billwright123,
billwright123 wrote:

Every day I get only 5 hours of sleep at night. What wakes me up is the need to pee. After that, I feel extremely tired but can't physically go back to sleep. I would end up taking afternoon naps but stopped doing that a few weeks ago, but that didn't cure my problem.

This all started happening one day when I took Benadryl to fall asleep earlier. That day I woke up after 5 hours of sleep and felt the need to urinate. Every day since then I have been waking up to pee and can't fall back asleep after only 5 hours of sleep.

I feel extremely fatigued and my brain cannot function during the day. Like I said, I try not to sleep in the afternoon, but the next night I would still end up getting only 5 hrs sleep.

This has been going on for 3 months now and I don't know what to do. Any advice?

Note: I drink coffee daily but have been doing so before this all started, so I don't think caffeine is the issue. I also don't drink much fluids before bedtime.

Could the benadryl have caused a disruption in my sleep-wake cycle?

Welcome to the Old Man's club.

Lots and lots of us older guys have that same problem.

My doctor was able to prescribe a drug that would help. The trigger for me waking up apparently was the need to take pee. He prescribed a medicine that eased that trigger...and it worked like magic. Never woke up.

Except for waking up in a wet bed every morning...it was the perfect solution.

I gave the medicine up after just 3 days...and just live with the fact that I wake up. I cannot fall back to sleep easily, but I do a crossword or Sudoku...and eventually get tired enough to doze off.

(My advice: Skip the medicine!)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 21M: Waking up after 5 hours of sleep to pee, and can't fall back asleep
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 11:50:02