Those Iraqis have it too easy!! Why not just take...

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:17 am
... all their oil for the good of the US of A?

Quote:
An Open Letter to Our Members and Friends
Dear Friends:

It is imperative that Senate Bill 1765, the "Hurricane Katrina Disaster Relief and Economic Recovery Act", be fully funded. The rebuilding of the Gulf Coast will be an enormous task and will take substantial resources. Cities, towns and people displaced by the Hurricanes are suffering needlessly because they are being neglected by the Federal Government.

It is becoming clearer with every passing week that Congress does not intend to fully fund the rebuilding of the Gulf Coast, Therefore, it is our obligation to change Congress's intent, so that it is in line with the wishes of the American people. Our family, friends and neighbors are in trouble and it is critical that we devote every available moment to this effort.

The money to rebuild the Gulf Coast is available, and the Federal Government has the resources to acquire these funds.

The United States has spent over $200 Billion to aid in the reconstruction and defense of Iraq. Iraq has the third largest proven oil reserves in the world, 115 Billion barrels worth over $6 Trillion. There is simply no reason that Iraq should not repay this aid to the United States. This money, knowing that it will be repaid, would immediately be spent to fully fund the rebuilding of the Gulf Coast.

We are not suggesting that this repayment from Iraq be done in a harsh or vindictive way. Rather we are stating that the repayment occurs over a period of time so that Iraq can continue to rebuild and grow economically.

From the response we have received to this petition, we know that there is a groundswell of support from the American people. But as you know, every signature counts. Please show your support by informing your family, friends and neighbors of this petition.

As always, we thank you for your continued support and dedication.

Sincerely, Myron Goretzky Chairman

source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 855 • Replies: 12
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:31 am
Hmmmmm...invade 'em, break stuff, get them to pay....sounds about right.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:36 am
Yes. Even though the Bush Administration lied about the need to invade and then did so illegally, with no mandate from either the American people or the international community, and then managed to destroy all infrastructure in Iraq, kill over 100,000 Iraqi civilians, get thousands and thousands of US soldiers killed or maimed AND created a breeding-ground for terrorists that will last for decades, they can't be held responsible for taking NO notice whatsoever about weather conditions in the continental USA.

The Iraqis, however, are a bunch of ungrateful ragheads who need to acknowledge that white, Christian folks with SUVs are their betters.... but not in a 'harsh, vindictive way' (wink, wink)...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:54 am
bm
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 03:07 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Yes. Even though the Bush Administration lied about the need to invade

You have a piece of evidence that they lied about something? Oh, I forgot, it's only my delusion that liberals should give evidence for their accusations.

Mr Stillwater wrote:
...and then did so illegally, with no mandate from either the American people or the international community,

Whether the invasion was legal or not would be very complex to determine. Furthermore, most of the wars in previous human history have been started based on the believed interest of the country that started them without the tiniest concern for whether they adhered to international law.

Mr Stillwater wrote:
...and then managed to destroy all infrastructure in Iraq....

As opposed to all of history's gentle invasions, of course, the invasion of Kuwait, for instance.

Mr Stillwater wrote:
...kill over 100,000 Iraqi civilians

I challenge your allegation that American troops did this. Give me a citation.

Mr Stillwater wrote:
...get thousands and thousands of US soldiers killed or maimed

So uncommon for war....

Mr Stillwater wrote:
...AND created a breeding-ground for terrorists that will last for decades

If Saddam Hussein had merely been continuing to conceal his WMD, and they had been used in the future, just one might have obliterated a cityfull of people.

Mr Stillwater wrote:
...they can't be held responsible for taking NO notice whatsoever about weather conditions in the continental USA.

The Iraqis, however, are a bunch of ungrateful ragheads who need to acknowledge that white, Christian folks with SUVs are their betters.... but not in a 'harsh, vindictive way' (wink, wink)...

No one on our government has said any such thing, but of course Americans can be legitimately blamed even for things they haven't done.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:56 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:

You have a piece of evidence that they lied about something? Oh, I forgot, it's only my delusion that liberals should give evidence for their accusations.

Look up the Yellow Cake Uranium story. The administration knew it was false, yet the president used it to support invasion. That's just one lie. There were plenty of things said that might not be considered a straightforward lie, but are certainly misleading and dishonest. The continual association to 9/11, the "we don't want the smoking gun to be in the form of a mushroom cloud" bullsh*t... the list goes on and on.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:
...and then did so illegally, with no mandate from either the American people or the international community,

Whether the invasion was legal or not would be very complex to determine. Furthermore, most of the wars in previous human history have been started based on the believed interest of the country that started them without the tiniest concern for whether they adhered to international law.

Actually, it pretty much was illegal. Not that tough to determine. And it doesn't matter what "previous wars" were started over. We have control over ourselves as a nation. Because something was done wrongly in the past doesn't mean that it should be done wrongly in the present.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:

As opposed to all of history's gentle invasions, of course, the invasion of Kuwait, for instance.

In Kuwait, Saddam set fire to lots of the oil fields, but he didn't (as far as I know) destroy just about all the power generating plants and water filtration locations as we did for our invasion. Such actions are particularly deadly to the civilian population.
Brandon9000 wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:

I'm with you on that one. Looks like it's between 27k and 31k. This site actually does a very good job of keeping track: LINK

Brandon9000 wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:

So uncommon for war....

Maybe uncommon for war, but when it's the result of a war that was totally unecessary and justified through deciet, it's worth noting.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:

If Saddam Hussein had merely been continuing to conceal his WMD, and they had been used in the future, just one might have obliterated a cityfull of people.

Oh, you're one of those people who still thinks WMD's existed? Time to let that one go. Even the president admitted he was wrong on that point. Our cities were perfectly safe from Saddam. Not like anything anyone says or anything you see is going to make you come around on that point. Stillwater was right. We may have killed lots of bad guys, but all we're doing is kicking a hornets nest.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:
...they can't be held responsible for taking NO notice whatsoever about weather conditions in the continental USA.

No one on our government has said any such thing, but of course Americans can be legitimately blamed even for things they haven't done.

Oh, a smarmy, smart ass comment. Good one. I'm not totally sure of what Stillwater was saying, but I could guess (and think I'm fairly close to the point) that asking the Iraqis to pay us for our Katrina problems is bordering on lunacy. Their country is a total clusterf*ck right now, and much of the blame is at our feet. They hardly have an army worth a second look, terrorists are swarming in, letting off bombs (how many have died in the past week...100? More?), there is a strong risk of civil war, and now we're going to take their oil money to fix our state? Are you kiddin' me?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:28 am
JustanObserver wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:

Look up the Yellow Cake Uranium story. The administration knew it was false, yet the president used it to support invasion. That's just one lie.

Having one piece of intelligence ultimately turn out to be false hardly qualifies as a lie. Please cite me a statement that was a lie.

JustanObserver wrote:
...There were plenty of things said that might not be considered a straightforward lie, but are certainly misleading and dishonest. The continual association to 9/11

Bush certainly never said that Iraq was behind 9/11.

JustanObserver wrote:
...the "we don't want the smoking gun to be in the form of a mushroom cloud" bullsh*t... the list goes on and on.

I don't. Do you?

JustanObserver wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:

Actually, it pretty much was illegal. Not that tough to determine. And it doesn't matter what "previous wars" were started over. We have control over ourselves as a nation. Because something was done wrongly in the past doesn't mean that it should be done wrongly in the present.

Okay, well since you say it's not hard to prove the war was illegal, do it. And, yes, it does matter that generally wars for all history have had no semblance of international legal basis.

JustanObserver wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:

In Kuwait, Saddam set fire to lots of the oil fields, but he didn't (as far as I know) destroy just about all the power generating plants and water filtration locations as we did for our invasion. Such actions are particularly deadly to the civilian population.

We destroyed power and water plants?

JustanObserver wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:

I'm with you on that one. Looks like it's between 27k and 31k. This site actually does a very good job of keeping track: LINK

Nonsense. Read your citation. It includes civilian deaths caused by the insurgents.

JustanObserver wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:

So uncommon for war....

Maybe uncommon for war, but when it's the result of a war that was totally unecessary and justified through deciet, it's worth noting.

It's not reasonable to object to this war based on things that all wars have in common.

JustanObserver wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:

Oh, you're one of those people who still thinks WMD's existed? Time to let that one go. Even the president admitted he was wrong on that point. Our cities were perfectly safe from Saddam. Not like anything anyone says or anything you see is going to make you come around on that point. Stillwater was right. We may have killed lots of bad guys, but all we're doing is kicking a hornets nest.

No, not even remotely what I said. I was commenting only on our pre-invasion analysis.

JustanObserver wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:

Oh, a smarmy, smart ass comment. Good one. I'm not totally sure of what Stillwater was saying, but I could guess (and think I'm fairly close to the point) that asking the Iraqis to pay us for our Katrina problems is bordering on lunacy. Their country is a total clusterf*ck right now, and much of the blame is at our feet. They hardly have an army worth a second look, terrorists are swarming in, letting off bombs (how many have died in the past week...100? More?), there is a strong risk of civil war, and now we're going to take their oil money to fix our state? Are you kiddin' me?

Give me a citation that we're stealing their oil.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:53 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
JustanObserver wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:

Look up the Yellow Cake Uranium story. The administration knew it was false, yet the president used it to support invasion. That's just one lie.

Having one piece of intelligence ultimately turn out to be false hardly qualifies as a lie. Please cite me a statement that was a lie.

You asked for a piece of information. I gave it to you. Now your asking for more. Rolling Eyes

From the tone of your answers, I can tell I could give you every "piece of information" and cite in the world and it would be pointless. Your not willing to be open to the answers.

Whatever you think about this is 100% right, ok? Good for you.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:59 pm
JustanObserver wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
JustanObserver wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:

You asked for a piece of information. I gave it to you. Now your asking for more. Rolling Eyes

From the tone of your answers, I can tell I could give you every "piece of information" and cite in the world and it would be pointless. Your not willing to be open to the answers.

Whatever you think about this is 100% right, ok? Good for you.

Pardon me for debating on a debating forum. Don't tell me that you needn't back up your wild assertions because your opponent doesn't fall down and immediately accept everything. The fact that one of many pieces of intelligence turned out to be untrue neither proves nor suggests a lie. Make your case.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 01:22 pm
Know what? You're right. I'll get back to this later today.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:31 pm
It is waste of time to keep rebutting the same arguments ad nauseum.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 03:26 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
It is waste of time to keep rebutting the same arguments ad nauseum.

sad but true. that horse has not only been beaten to death, but dug back up and had a gun put to it's head.

by now, most people have made their determination about how all of this started.

if you believe that the war is legitimate, well ya got your wish.

if you don't, it gets you nowhere to keep yelling in the rearview mirror. put that anger to work and change the government to more reflect your beliefs. and stay vigilant that this type of shite doesn't happen again.
----

the iraqis need to take responsibility for their country. i just don't think they are going to as long as the u.s. has a huge presence there.

and it's contradictory to say that they are intelligent and capable of self determination while treating them like stupid, defensless children.

time to take off the training wheels and let 'em take ride. if they are really as capable and enthusiastic, as we are being told, about their newfound freedom, they'll be fine and rebuild their country as they see fit.

could it possibly be that the white house is nervous about what type of government will be established ? secular ? theocratic ? hence a prolonged involvement beyond resolving the wmd, al qaida and regime change questions.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 05:28 pm
Quote:
that horse has not only been beaten to death, but dug back up and had a gun put to it's head.

Good point.

In the spirit of at least sharing good sources of information on it (for those who take it seriously enough to read), here are some places to start:

Compendium of the administrative misstatements/deceptive comments regarding Iraq (threat, nuclear capabilities, immediacy of danger and links to Al Qaeda):
LINK

Collection of professional opinions regarding the legality/illegality of the Iraq war (note the attention given to the argument of "immediacy" of the Hussein threat):
LINK
British Attorney General's advice to Blair over legal issue:
LINK

Article pertaining to the 9/11 commission's finding of no link between Iraq and Al Qaeda:
LINK

What a clusterf*ck this whole situation has become.
0 Replies