WHY IS EVERY THIRD THREAD ABOUT RELIGION?

husker

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:10 am
well dlowan has one of the most female voices of anyone I've chatted with online I know that for a fact
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:29 am
Intrepid wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
How many threads are in this forum that should actually be somewhere else?

By what criteria?

By any criteria that indicates they should be someplace else. I don't know. I am just wondering if there are so many threads because some threads that should be elsewhere are in R & S.

Meaningless conjecture, then - establish a criteria, hold the evidence to that criteria, and formulate a reasoned syllogism. Should you find something you think inappropriately located, report it to the Moderators, explain your concern, and let them deal with it; its in their job description. Help 'em to do their work on behalf of everyone who visits or participates on A2K.

Apart from that, your reference to "so many threads" has no basis; this particular forum has been more active lately than had been the case previously, but still is nowhere near the most active of forums. At time of this writing, the Politics forum has 7,961, General has 3,036, Computers 2,677, Human Interest Stories 2,546, Humor 2,543, Original Writing 2,450, Relationships & Marriage 2,192, Science & Mathematics 1,985, General News 1873, International News 1796, Philosophy & Debate 1,730, English 1,638, Music & Lyrics 1601, Medical News & Health 1,559, Riddles 1,449, while the Spirituality & Religion forum has precisely 1,363 topics. In terms of numbers of posts, Spirituality & Religion tallies 81,319, while Politics tallies 308,491, and General 192,523.

Quote:
Also, Timber.... didn't my listing give an indication that my contention of many of the religious threads being started by many non-religious is not nonsense after all?

Regardless the implication of the listing you provided, your conclusion is specious; your sample is statistically invalid. What is disclosed by your assertion is that you evidence little grasp of statistical analysis.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:32 am
Thanks for the info Timber!

just for grins where are the silly game ones at?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:32 am
Can't we just call this a draw? Is there any way to to actually find out enough information to point someone correct or not? And, is it that imporant anyway?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:33 am
I made no conjecture. I simply asked if perhaps some postings were in the wrong forums.

By that assertion, I assume that you consider Setanta's similar, but much less complete statistics to be equally without evidence and with little grasp of statistical analysis.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:35 am
husker wrote:
Thanks for the info Timber!

just for grins where are the silly game ones at?

Look it up Mr. Green
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:37 am
you enever listed games and trivia in your listing -you think I venture in to the bowels of A2k? heck I don't even know how to do a search yet
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:38 am
Intrepid wrote:
I made no conjecture. I simply asked if perhaps some postings were in the wrong forums.

By that assertion, I assume that you consider Setanta's similar, but much less complete statistics to be equally without evidence and with little grasp of statistical analysis.

I offer no observation or evaluation of Setanta's postulation, Nor of any postulation made by anyone else in this instance; I presented results of research I conducted which refutes the assertion you had made and which specifically I addressed.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:40 am
Would you have the same opinion if I was not a Christian? Given that you chose to pop onto my post and rather than Setanta's was, I suppose, mere chance?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:49 am
Intrepid wrote:
Would you have the same opinion if I was not a Christian? Given that you chose to pop onto my post and rather than Setanta's was, I suppose, mere chance?

No, it was evolution. That notwithstanding, it was not his postulation that was in error.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:53 am
evolution - ouch survival of the fittest

bite my tongue Embarrassed
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:56 am
BTW, Intrepid, I don't much care one way or another what anyone's ideology, philosophy, or theology might be - that just doesn't enter into it from my perpective at all. I will take issue with any proposition, statement, assertion, allegation, or position which gives me cause for exception, and I make no secret of my own philosophic, ideologic, and/or theologic point of view. I do however take exception to inappropriate and/or invalid manner of expressing one's ideology, philosophy, or theology. I get sorta excersized about folks trying to foist off bad advice on computer-related stuff, too.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:40 am
I started this thread and then went away on a brief sabbatical and I see that many correspondents have weighed in re: Do mopst religion threads appear to be started by the Non religious. I did a quick survey and, accepting the facts that the title and introductory paragraph let us gain an insite into the threadmakers mindset, Ive counted , of those extant, that greater than 70% are started by individuals asking questions as if they were "of the body".
Ive dropped any of Frank's files since he is , alas , no longer with us.
Consider this my "atheists your life is pointless, " response. I hope this thread is as lame as that, in the minds of the incorporated.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:53 am
Is that corporal punishment?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:56 am
Intrepid wrote:

This is a drunken strawman. I made no assertion about the character of threads in R & S--i simply ridiculed your assertion on that topic.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:57 am
FM--love your new look . . . where did you get that hat?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:59 am
It IS a bit festive innit?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:15 am
On the topic of the thread, as opposed to the paranoid and self-serving fantasies of self-professed christians here--Timber's statistical presentation, as a bald statement, shows that FM is full of horsie poop, and that R & S threads constitute no statistically significant portion of the "contributions" to this site. The single page of "New Posts" at which i looked at that particular time stamp shows nine threads in R & S then, and also refutes FM's thesis--bad savior and martyr, FM, bad savior and martyr.

Whether or not the Big Bird, or anyone else, would undertake the research, the only effective way to address the "spirit" of FM's contention would be to determine the frequency of new threads in R & S in two equivalent periods--say, for example, the last quarter of 2005 as compared to the last quarter of 2002, when the site was "brand new."
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:35 am
maybe I was sounding a bit vague , but my count was of those in the religion forums bears out what timber had said. My reference to those "of the body" was my title of the Pro-religious side. Also, (since I just read Timbers stats) he stated that clearly over half of the religious threads were in the last year, when , if if all things would be equal, we should have only had about 1/3 of these posts . Clearly, from the total count, religion is a favorite topic and, as my quick count (just from the forum itself0 showed that the religious posters were in the majority.) I have included certain threads like "evolution How" and even "ID Science or religion" since it morphed into a Thumpers holiday

Ill ask you to remove the horsie poop reference or I shall have my attorneys contact your attorneys at dawn.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:37 am
My attorneys--Robb, Cheatham and Howe--have appointed Archie Bunker's law firm as seconds--Rabinowitz, Rabinowitz and Shapiro--"seven savage Jews" . . . may your attorneys rest in peace.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/28/2024 at 07:02:07