WHY IS EVERY THIRD THREAD ABOUT RELIGION?

husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:20 pm
Setanta wrote:
Pareto only observed that 80% of the land in Italy was owned by 20% of the population, and that was one hundred fifty years ago. It could just as easily be true that 80% of results are caused by 10% of causes, rather than 20%. People just like it because it adds up to 100%, and they falsely correlate cause and effect to suit their thesis which they set out to prove, not to test.

The so-called "Pareto principle" is one of the most statistically absurd theories currently being peddled in the American business community. But, after all, there's one born every minute . . .

See how idiotically you attempted to apply it to whether or not threads in R & S are started by the "non-religious?" It's a specious idea.

you felt the need for a personal attack - geesh
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:20 pm
I already did that, Intrepid, but you apparently have ignored that.

Your sample is invalid, it does not restrict itself to the R & S forum, which was the basis of the contention. It also does not identify all thread authors, and it is silent upon what putative religious affiliation of those authors.

You're even more clueless about statistics than Husker.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:21 pm
Husker, I am just curious. Did Setanta consider your posts idiotic before he knew you were a Christian?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:23 pm
Here ya go Husker, Wikipedia's article on Pareto's principle is a rare online example of a link on the subject which isn't tryin' to sucker ya into buying somebody's line of crap . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:24 pm
I did not state that Husker's post was idiotic, just the attempted correlation--but it doesn't surprise me to see Intrepid interpret it that way, he likes to start trouble.

How do you consider that a personal attack, Husker? Is no one allowed to disagree with your?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:26 pm
Setanta wrote:
I already did that, Intrepid, but you apparently have ignored that.

I didn't ignore it. You chose to post only 9 items... selective data

Quote:
Your sample is invalid, it does not restrict itself to the R & S forum, which was the basis of the contention.

Every one is from the Religious & Spirituality Forum

Quote:
It also does not identify all thread authors, and it is silent upon what putative religious affiliation of those authors.

It does identify all the authors. It is as silent on the putative religious affiliation of the authors as you were on your statistics. Of course, we are to believe the great setanta without proof.

Quote:
You're even more clueless about statistics than Husker.

Coming from you, we should consider clueless as being a compliment.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:29 pm
Setanta wrote:
Here ya go Husker, Wikipedia's article on Pareto's principle is a rare online example of a link on the subject which isn't tryin' to sucker ya into buying somebody's line of crap . . .

find some place else Wikipedia is an antithesis
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:30 pm
Setanta wrote:
I did not state that Husker's post was idiotic, just the attempted correlation--but it doesn't surprise me to see Intrepid interpret it that way, he likes to start trouble.

How do you consider that a personal attack, Husker? Is no one allowed to disagree with your?

And I suppose you didn't say that Husker was clueless in a later post. The fact that I seldom agree with you somehow suggests to you that I make trouble. You really have a problem owning up to the fact that you are not always right.

Is no one allowed to disagree with your what?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:30 pm
Setanta wrote:

I found it personal as well - find a different way to say it - then no problem
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:31 pm
I do beg your pardon, i saw the trapped miners thread, and mistook it for another thread on that topic which did not appear in R & S. You still have provided no break-down on the putative religious belief of the authors.

I pointed out that on the nine threads appearing on page one of new posts at that time stamp, six were by self-professed christians: vol_fan06, hephzibah, waitingforhim, azure, partyjohn and Neologist. Do you deny that these members are self-professed christians? Without that information, your "sample" is not a valid analysis of the contention that the majority of threads in R & S are started by the non-religious, which is the ludicrous thesis we deal with here.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:32 pm
Quote:
Now even Im posting about religion. Face it people, Im pretty sure that we made God up to keep us from freaking out at the concept of being alone with a finite life. The whole concept seems good enough for the Jews, so why cant the Christians of the A2k family just live a good life , keep their rules and SHUT UP.

Well Farmerman,

It could just as easily be said by the "christians", I'm pretty sure that people deny God because they don't want to take responsibility for the bad things they do. So by denying God's existence they are free to do whatever they wish with a clear conscience. So why can't the non-christians of A2K just live a good life, don't follow any rules, and shut up.

However, what's the point of that? If there were never any opposing opinions. There would never be anything to debate.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:33 pm
Okay, I did some counting. I searched for five posters I believe to be atheists (from what they have posted):

They are threads originally started in the Spirituality & Religion Forum by:

Setanta - Since 12/200 - 13
Edgarblythe - Since 11/2005 - 11
Cicerone Imposter - Since 12/2005 - 4
Kickycan - Since 1/2006 - 9
Frank Apisa - Since 3/2003 - 18

And on the believers side we have:

Intrepid - No threads started
Real Life - No threads started
Momma Angel - Since 7/2005 - 11
Neologist - Since 5/2005 - 13
Foxfyre - Since 3/2004 - 3

And just by glancing it does appear that more non-believers (the ones I know are non-believers) have started more threads on the Spirituality & Religion Forum. However, there are many started by posters I have never even heard of so it's probably going to be pretty hard to come to an absolute conclusion on this. :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:33 pm
husker wrote:
Setanta wrote:

find some place else Wikipedia is an antithesis

You must have an odd definition of antithesis. What is that supposed to mean?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:34 pm
I don't think google cares if they are in R & S or not
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:36 pm
it is figure of speech involving the bringing out of a contrast in the ideas by an obvious contrast Wikipedia vs where you think my source was at or even religious vd nonreligious
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:39 pm
Setanta wrote:
I do beg your pardon, i saw the trapped miners thread, and mistook it for another thread on that topic which did not appear in R & S. You still have provided no break-down on the putative religious belief of the authors.

I pointed out that on the nine threads appearing on page one of new posts at that time stamp, six were by self-professed christians: vol_fan06, hephzibah, waitingforhim, azure, partyjohn and Neologist. Do you deny that these members are self-professed christians? Without that information, your "sample" is not a valid analysis of the contention that the majority of threads in R & S are started by the non-religious, which is the ludicrous thesis we deal with here.

Unlike you, I would rather not label the posters as to their beliefs. However I would say that at least 55% of my list are non religious. This list was not a random sampling...it was a list of the past 36 threads.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:40 pm
husker wrote:
Setanta wrote:

No, when something which is said or written is idiotic, it it personally reasonable to state as much. So i don't intend to take orders from you. I've never characterized you as an idiot. I am willing to characterize any idiotic contention i see as idiotic. Get over it.

MOAN, that's a perfect example of the fallacy of the enumeration of favorable circumstances. You have a seletive sample, not a comprehensive one.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:42 pm
Setanta wrote:
husker wrote:
Setanta wrote:

No, when something which is said or written is idiotic, it it personally reasonable to state as much. So i don't intend to take orders from you. I've never characterized you as an idiot. I am willing to characterize any idiotic contention i see as idiotic. Get over it.

MOAN, that's a perfect example of the fallacy of the enumeration of favorable circumstances. You have a seletive sample, not a comprehensive one.

Ok, you give me what would be a more comprehensive one and I will be happy to do the math. I only picked from from each side that I was sure about. Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:42 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Unlike you, I would rather not label the posters as to their beliefs.

Another typical sneer from of the hypocritical christian type. If you don't identify the belief of the author, your sample is meaningless.

Quote:
However I would say that at least 55% of my list are non religious. This list was not a random sampling...it was a list of the past 36 threads.

What you "would say" in such a matter, absent proof, is also meaningless.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:43 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Quote:
Now even Im posting about religion. Face it people, Im pretty sure that we made God up to keep us from freaking out at the concept of being alone with a finite life. The whole concept seems good enough for the Jews, so why cant the Christians of the A2k family just live a good life , keep their rules and SHUT UP.

Well Farmerman,

It could just as easily be said by the "christians", I'm pretty sure that people deny God because they don't want to take responsibility for the bad things they do. So by denying God's existence they are free to do whatever they wish with a clear conscience. So why can't the non-christians of A2K just live a good life, don't follow any rules, and shut up.

However, what's the point of that? If there were never any opposing opinions. There would never be anything to debate.

You're quite wrong, you know. We atheists are exactly who must, and do, take responsibility for the things we do - both bad, and good. The devil didn't make us do anything, God didn't tell us anything was okay to do, and nobody's standing around expecting to be forgiven because we subscribe to certain beliefs.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 09:09:22