WHY IS EVERY THIRD THREAD ABOUT RELIGION?

Chumly

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:14 pm
Shirley there must be more types than just religious or non-religious, how about para-religious or bi-religious or hetero-religious or homo-erotic-religious, or extraterrestrial-religious?
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:24 pm
There are.

And don't call me Shirley.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:33 pm
farmerman, if i may make a serious reply, for better or for worse, politics and religion are so entwined in the US & many other countries that excluding discussion of religion would severely restrict political discussions.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:37 pm
Intrepid wrote:
In truth, most of the religious threads are started by the non-religious.

Horsie poop . . .
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:39 pm
Frank used to take care of the God lovers quite nicely,
but since he left, they don't have enough opposition.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:40 pm
Wouldn't that just turn up kickycan on a google search?
:-)
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:41 pm
CalamityJane wrote:

Ah, there it is. We need to be taken care of. ;-)
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:44 pm
CalamityJane wrote:

Recent sighting here.

I'd like to see him back.
0 Replies

husker

Sometimes people you really like can say the most callous things - crap that hurts
0 Replies

Chumly

Here comes Dubya the Theologian:

"I'm also mindful that man should never try to put words in God's mouth. I mean, we should never ascribe natural disasters or anything else to God. We are in no way, shape, or form should a human being, play God." -- He managed to slip God in three times, but forgot to make sense, Washington, D.C., Jan. 14, 2005
0 Replies

Intrepid

Setanta wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
In truth, most of the religious threads are started by the non-religious.

Horsie poop . . .

Is that one of your off the cuff responses, or have you actually checked. I beg to differ.....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:46 pm
See, the problem is threads like this.

I love a good debate, and there are some religious people here who can at least make some kind of provocative arguments regarding their beliefs, but lately there have been a lot of idiotic threads started (yes, I do see the irony in me pointing out the idiocy of others' threads) that are just basically, well, to quote Setanta...horsie poop.

Thats' the annoying part.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:52 pm
Prove it, Lack of Intrepidity . . . your speculation is no more well-founded than mine.

I opened "New Posts" in a separate window, on page one:

Let's pray for our troops, by "waitingforhim"

Evolution? How?, by "vol_fan06"

ET a Demon? What's up with that?, by "Neologist"

How much of what you believe came from someone else?, by "Hephzibah"

Gnosticism, by "Karalily"

I'm an atheist, by "young_thinker"

Praise the Lord, by "partyjohn"

What does Buddhism say about how everything came to be?, by "Prospero"

The esoteric and literals of the bible, by "azure"

That's nine threads, of which one was started by someone who can reasonbably be asserted to be "non-religious," and two possibles, which you'd have to investigate. That's six started by self-professed christians.

I ain't buyin' that horsie poop without a reasonable effort on your part to demonstrate your silly case.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:55 pm
I like stats - keep them coming
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:07 pm
If you like stats, then perhaps you are familiar with the statistical fallacy of the enumeration of favorable circumstances? That would entail, for example, Intrepid seeing a new thread in R & S started by a "non-believer," or even just someone he speculates is a non-believer, and saying: "See, i tole ya so" without actually counting the threads and determining the "belief" status of the authors.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:11 pm
I'll stick with Pareto's Principle
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:14 pm
Apply the 80/20 Rule to Everything
by Brian Tracy

The 80/20 Rule is one of the most helpful of all concepts of time and life management. It is also called the Pareto Principle after its founder, the Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto, who first wrote about it in 1895. Pareto noticed that people in his society seemed to divide naturally into what he called the "vital few," the top 20% in terms of money and influence, and the "trivial many," the bottom 80%.

The Great Discovery

He later discovered that virtually all economic activity was subject to this Pareto Principle as well.

For example, this rule says that 20% of your activities will account for 80% of your results. 20% of your customers will account for 80% of your sales. 20% of your products or services will account for 80% of your profits. 20% of your tasks will account for 80% of the value of what you do, and so on.

This means that if you have a list of ten items to do, two of those items will turn out to be worth as much or more than the other eight items put together.
80% non-religious
20%religious
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:16 pm
Setanta wrote:
If you like stats, then perhaps you are familiar with the statistical fallacy of the enumeration of favorable circumstances? That would entail, for example, Intrepid seeing a new thread in R & S started by a "non-believer," or even just someone he speculates is a non-believer, and saying: "See, i tole ya so" without actually counting the threads and determining the "belief" status of the authors.

See. I told you so. Dispute these facts, Mr. Setanta. Real statistics from real analysis.

Featured: How much of what you believe came from someone else? hephzibah

Featured: ET a demon? What's up with that? neologist

Featured: Gnosticism... Karalily

Featured: The esetoric and literals of the bible azure

Featured: Trapped miners in WVa J_B

Featured: ISLAM Q&A raheel

Featured: Rich and Successful --> SINS? werthn

Featured: The Hajj, a blessed season muslim1

Featured: Is there life after death? spidergal

Featured: Tao Yu Lung

lets pray for our troops waitingforhim

Evolution? How? vol_fan06

I'm an aethist.... young_thinker

praise the lord partyjohn

What does Buddhism say about how everything came to be? Prospero

Case #503 against blind faith--Stem Cell Research kickycan

Where does it say in the bible we inherit original sin? Chai Tea

Do you own a Guardian Angel? Noddy24

Man Created God With The Computer Chumly

secular Institute for the laity under religious vows 244 nancyann Deren

Prayer is useless? vfr

Pat Robertson blueveinedthrobber

Free Will neologist

Where is your faith? mcqueen

The Purpose of Life is Death Bella Dea

Science and the Bible Chumly

Why do people blame God for all things that befalls man..? mcqueen

God & The Burden of Proof Chumly

All about x-mas queen annie

ACTING IN GOOD FAITH Setanta

sex
leah140

why ten commandments djjd62

The arguments of God's nonexistence Jason Proudmoore

Prove Christ exists, judge orders priest BumbleBeeBoogie

We Duke It Out! Momma Angel

Okay...let's see...where was I... Frank Apisa
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:18 pm
Pareto only observed that 80% of the land in Italy was owned by 20% of the population, and that was one hundred fifty years ago. It could just as easily be true that 80% of results are caused by 10% of causes, rather than 20%. People just like it because it adds up to 100%, and they falsely correlate cause and effect to suit their thesis which they set out to prove, not to test.

The so-called "Pareto principle" is one of the most statistically absurd theories currently being peddled in the American business community. But, after all, there's one born every minute . . .

See how idiotically you attempted to apply it to whether or not threads in R & S are started by the "non-religious?" It's a specious idea.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:18 pm
Re: WHY IS EVERY THIRD THREAD ABOUT RELIGION?
farmerman wrote:
Now even Im posting about religion. Face it people, Im pretty sure that we made God up to keep us from freaking out at the concept of being alone with a finite life. The whole concept seems good enough for the Jews, so why cant the Christians of the A2k family just live a good life , keep their rules and SHUT UP.

well religion is a part of spirituality for some don't you think?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/28/2024 at 06:12:04