WHY IS EVERY THIRD THREAD ABOUT RELIGION?

Treya

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:22 am
Setanta wrote:
Miss Eppie, Roger realized that and apologized . . . personally, i didn't realize it till he had done so . . .

Thanks Setanta, I know. I posted that for dlowan because he responded to the first post like roger did. Then I realized that was silly because he was going to read my response to roger before he read my response to him probably! LOL oh well...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:27 am
Psst dlowan is a he.

Double psst - if anyone's looking for who the authors are of the most recent topics in any forum, while it makes some sense to look at the first page of posts, keep in mind that anything recently answered, no matter how old the topic is, is going to show up on top, and featured topics appear above even that. Hence it's best to look at the origination date(s) of the topic(s) rather than just the first page of 'em.

A case in point is the Trivia forum. Old topics like Lola at the Coffee House end up on the first page of topics because of recent postings, but I think that one originated in '03 or maybe even late '02.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:28 am
On January 4th, 2006, at 10:33 pm, in Post #1767130, in the Acting in Good Faith thread, Intrepid wrote:
Isn't it cute how Doktor S and Setanta (Dokort Setanta?) post back to back so nicely. Must be genetics.

I'd have to dig a little deeper for the Satan reference, but here's a fine bit of evidence for your bile. Tell me again about how bad it is to play with someone's name, will ya?

Whited sepulchers, full of rotting flesh and dead men's bones . . .
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:28 am
Right you are, Momma Angel. But, he started it. :-)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:30 am
Momma Angel wrote:
I hate to see anyone get into an argument.

You'll go to Hell for lyin', too . . .
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:30 am
dlowan wrote:
husker wrote:
dlowan such prejudice Rolling Eyes

Yes.

I am prejudiced against idiots of any, and no, faiths.

But, it seems I am hoist on a own goal petard, since it seems Hepzibah's post was attempted satire.

I have as yet to judge the quality of that satire, but I accept I misread the intent.

There was no attempted anything about that post actually. I was merely making a point.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:31 am
hephzibah,

Us idiots understood your point.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:35 am
The rest of us needed some help.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:35 am
C'mon, Setanta, Intrepid, let's just drop it ok? This really doesn't do any of us any good, does it?

I don't like to see anyone argue. I hate it especially when I do it myself.

Is this really that important?

It doesn't matter who started it guys. I'd just like to see it end.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:38 am
"The greatest enemy of any one of our truths
may be the rest of our truths."
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:40 am
The nice thing is Intrepid and Roger, it doesn't really matter who needed clarification. We all need clarification sometimes I think. I could have made the whole thing a lot easier by stating ahead of time "this is just an example" or something to that effect. It's all good. And I don't mind clarifying when I'm not being very clear...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 01:24 am
Intrepid wrote:
In truth, most of the religious threads are started by the non-religious.

That's nonsense. Going back to A2K's start in 2002, there are around 1400 topics in the Spirituality & Religion forum. Well over half that total has been tallied in the past 12 months, with a clear minority of those topics having been started by antireligionists. Over the past year, the site membership has shown a marked increase of apparent religionists, particularly those whose postings indicate they are Christian religionists, and who's posts, BTW, comprise a solid majority of all the past year's worth of posts to the Spirituality and Religion forum. A common tenor of those postings indicates the displeasure Christian Religionists take at being challenged to substantiate their assertions and validate their propositions.

husker wrote:
Just reflect on this for a few minutes - CDK and company has made this site such that google picks up on topics pretty fast - in the search engine world. So now add the abundant quanity of topics for religion and many people out in the cyber world search for religious discussions - wham bam - influx

Bingo

Intrepid wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
In truth, most of the religious threads are started by the non-religious.

Horsie poop . . .

Is that one of your off the cuff responses, or have you actually checked. I beg to differ.....

Dunno if Set checked or not, or how diligently if he did, but I just spent good bits of a few hours at it, from a variety of approaches.

dlowan wrote:
kickycan wrote:
There has been an influx of very religious people lately. It's annoying as hell, ain't it?

Yes.

I blame it on the skill Craven has with search engine optimization (and I wonder if some of 'em brung their friend from christian sites).

Data mining turns up strong evidence that is the case - chasing down usernames, members' listed favorite websites in their A2K profiles and websites cited or otherwise mentioned in posts, subject and/or titles of topics, recurrance of distinctive phrases, and so forth turn up unambiguous correlation with the increase in religionist activity here and members posting to other religionist forums, groups and blogs. Explicit and implicit references to A2k/Able2Know on such other venues has increased exponentially over the past year as well.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 01:28 am
Success has it's own pitfalls??
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 01:34 am
How many threads are in this forum that should actually be somewhere else?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 01:36 am
Intrepid wrote:

By what criteria?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 01:39 am
jespah wrote:
Psst dlowan is a he.

I AM????????

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 01:40 am
timberlandko wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

By what criteria?

By any criteria that indicates they should be someplace else. I don't know. I am just wondering if there are so many threads because some threads that should be elsewhere are in R & S.

Also, Timber.... didn't my listing give an indication that my contention of many of the religious threads being started by many non-religious is not nonsense after all?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 01:42 am
dlowan wrote:
jespah wrote:
Psst dlowan is a he.

I AM????????

gessh I'm shocked also
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 01:57 am
yitwail wrote:
farmerman, if i may make a serious reply, for better or for worse, politics and religion are so entwined in the US & many other countries that excluding discussion of religion would severely restrict political discussions.

I don't know about "other countries" [= never noticed such besides in some Arabian countries and Israel], but that might it be.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:00 am
husker wrote:
dlowan wrote:
jespah wrote:
Psst dlowan is a he.

I AM????????

gessh I'm shocked also

Yet more evidence I've been up too long.

PS Re topics possibly being in the wrong spot. We go through as many as we can (usually while they're new) and endeavor to put them in the right spot. But I don't claim perfection. So if anyone sees a topic in any forum which doesn't seem to belong there, feel free to click report and tell the fine folks at the help desk who will then harness some hamsters and move the topic using powers of levitation, fueled by coffee and raisin toast. Thank you.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/28/2024 at 04:57:57